Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Having trouble setting up home link.

15K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Vox 
#1 ·
What's the trick to this? There's only two steps to the process but it just isn't working. Press link button on garage opener, then hold the desired homelink button for 2 secs, 3 times.

What happens is, hold home link button first time home icon and orange light starts blinking. Let go, stays the same. Hold the second time for 2 secs, orange light goes out. Hold third time for 2 secs home icon goes out. I tried 6-7 times re reading the instructions a few times. Still nothing.

Any tips?

#3 ·
Usually you have to program the Homelink with one of the transmitters that came with the opener. Then you pair the Homelink with the opener.

#4 ·
That would make sense. Don't think it was this difficult with others I've programmed. It's confusing too because some methods are for USA and some for Canada. I agree with rdgrimes, the instructions aren't very good.
I may have only been doing half the steps then. I've never had it flashing green though indicating anything has learned a code but I believe I've been doing it wrong. I've been skipping right to where the header says "programming rolling code" thinking that the previous stuff was irrelevant.

So If I'm reading right, I have to select my homelink button, then program it by pressing the garage door opener every 2 secs repeatedly(for Canada if I understand correctly, It's a hold for USA) until the light flashes green. THEN, I press the learn button on the actual garage door opener motor and press and hold the programmed homelink button for 2 secs up to 3 times.

That's what I'm getting from the instructions now anyway.

Thanks for the replies. They have helped. At work now but will try again tonight.

#8 ·
That would make sense. Don't think it was this difficult with others I've programmed. It's confusing too because some methods are for USA and some for Canada. I agree with rdgrimes, the instructions aren't very good.
I may have only been doing half the steps then. I've never had it flashing green though indicating anything has learned a code but I believe I've been doing it wrong. I've been skipping right to where the header says "programming rolling code" thinking that the previous stuff was irrelevant.

So If I'm reading right, I have to select my homelink button, then program it by pressing the garage door opener every 2 secs repeatedly(for Canada if I understand correctly, It's a hold for USA) until the light flashes green. THEN, I press the learn button on the actual garage door opener motor and press and hold the programmed homelink button for 2 secs up to 3 times.

That's what I'm getting from the instructions now anyway.

Thanks for the replies. They have helped. At work now but will try again tonight.
Yeah good post would never figure out with manual. Had to try twice. But pushing garage door remote 2 seconds twice, to get green light then hitting learn on main unit did the trick.....2020 hybrid limited

#9 ·
Right did it! so this last guys comment did the trick. I got to the point where it was blinking Green very fast, thought it was over, but no, didn't work. You then go and press the learn button , again, on the main garage door unit, come back to the car and press and hold the homelink button for 2 seconds a few times and it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.