Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How's the view out the rear window?

8K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  rn701 
#1 ·
It appears to my casual eye that as the RAV4 models have evolved over the years, the size (and visibility) out the rear window has decreased. Sure, having a rear view camera, "birdseye view" and other tricks are useful aids, but there's nothing like being able to see out the back by simply looking through the rearview mirror.

How are you all finding the view out the back (through the mirror)? Does it feel restricted?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Personally, neither my wife or myself have any complaints in regard to the view using the rear view mirror to observe objects out the back with our 2016 RAV4. But this is our first RAV4.

#4 ·
I was also concerned, having come from a 2004 CR-V with a decently large window. Safety/visibility is important to me and it was one of the reasons I was looking at the Forester as a competing vehicle.

Yes, the rear window is compressed in height when viewed from the outside, but it is not an issue for me. Visibility is just fine and the rear-view mirror encompasses the entire window. The smallish rear "port" windows also aren't a problem for me. The large side-view mirrors with their integrated blind spot mirrors help out greatly.

The only issue would be that, probably like most small SUVs, the headrests in the backseat may intrude into the view a little bit.

--Michael

#5 ·
The only issue would be that, probably like most small SUVs, the headrests in the backseat may intrude into the view a little bit.
This was the one thing that bothered me, so since it is rare for someone to ride in the back seat, I removed them.
Probably not the best option, but I found that when I folded the rear seats down, I was chasing anything I put in the rear cargo area, like one bag of groceries vs putting that bag on the floor behind the front seats.

Removing the head restraints was just an experiment. But a year later and I haven't put them back in and the view is better.

#6 ·
There is a small button on the side of the rear head rests that allow you to fold them forward. This gives you a better view out the back and they don't hit the front seats when you fold the rear seats down. Then just push them up and they snap back into place.

Also (just an FYI) there is a compartment behind the rear seats that is in the floor. Not sure what it is for, but it is a good place to put all of your manuals to get them out of the glove box.

#7 ·
I was concerned about visibility too but as others have said the rear window is big enough to fill the view through the rear view mirror, it just isn't much bigger than that. The tinting on the rear window inhibits my view though it more but that's pretty minor too.

Because of the small rear window and side rear windows it doesn't work well to turn my head and check blind spots but between the camera, rear view mirror, and large side mirrors there's really no blind spot to check back there.

The Forester does have great visibility but it felt like I was sitting in a fish bowl when I test drove it.

#8 · (Edited)
Visibility is great and considerably better than the Ford Escape. My wife's company car is a 2015 Escape and the rear pillars are massive and back window is much smaller than RAV. I actually feel unsafe driving her car.
Clearly the Escape takes its name from something customers want to do after they've driven a Ford... :lol:

[EDIT] I just realized why - the RAV has a second glass "triangle" window in the left & right rear doors which provides more rear visibility. Escape's doesn't have this so the rear hatch pillar looks MASSIVE! [/EDIT]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.