Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Locking doors with remote while door is open

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  spinkay 
#1 ·
This is in reference to a 2015 Rav4 XLE.

I'd like to be able to use my remote key (not a smart key system) to lock the doors while a door is open. Is there any way to configure this? If it's not a user accessible feature, I'd be willing to take it to the shop to have it done.

The only mention I can find in the manual is this:

"Door lock buzzer
If an attempt to lock the doors is made when a door is not fully closed, a buzzer sounds continuously for 5 seconds. Fully close the door to stop the buzzer, and lock the vehicle once more."

My ideal workflow would be:
1. Park
2. Unlock all doors from driver's door
3. Open rear door that has child's car seat
4. Lock all doors with remote, put keys back in pocket
5. Let kid out and shut door

But since getting the Rav4 my workflow is now:
1. Park
2. Unlock all doors from driver's door
4. Set keys on top of car
5. Let kid out and shut door
6. Grab keys off of top of car
7. Lock all doors with remote, put keys back in pocket

Unfortunately that's inconvenient, and sometimes the keys get forgotten on top of the car. :-/

See less See more
#2 ·
All customizable settings are in the manual which you can download for free. There's a setting that unlocks the car when you enter park(if you have auto lock enabled) I believe, then you don't have to unlock. If you're forgetting the keys on top of the car, then it wasn't locked either, I'd put the keys in my pocket when I got out, then you only have to lock after letting the kid out.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

#4 ·
I don't think the controlling ECU will allow that, but good luck, I think you're gonna be stuck with a work around, although the setting I mentioned will eliminate one step. The smartkey system would help since it can be locked/unlocked at the door handle, I seldom remove the smartkey fob from my pocket unless I want to unlock for a distance.

#5 ·
You can lock the doors when they are open by using the lock/unlock buttons on the inside of the front doors. Those buttons go to an input on the body ECU. The remote receiver uses a different input that does the same thing, but won't work with a door open. So, it should be possible to move the wire from the remote signal to the door input on the ECU, that way the remote signal would behave just like the door buttons. However, I don't know if this would have any unintended side effects.

#7 ·
Very clever! I like it.

I don't know anything about ECUs but did a little bit of Elec. Eng. in a past life.

Rerouting the remote to the interior locks I expect would make the remote's car alarm useless, but maybe that'd be an acceptable tradeoff given the inconvenience. I suppose we'd also would need to know if the remote's signal to the ECU is the same as the interior's signal. That is, if they're sending different encoded messages, then the the interior lock segment of the ECU wouldn't be able to decode the message. But again I know nothing about ECUs.

#6 ·
What works for me is to set up the key lock system so that in park all the doors unlock.

1. Park
2. Exit car & leave drivers door open and put keys in pocket
4. Let kid out and shut door
5. On open drivers door press door lock button and close drivers door.

#8 ·
Two issues with this is that the child's seat is right rear, so I'd need to walk around again, or open the passenger door / relock / close.

And for more pressing security reasons I need to have my doors locked when shifting into park, so that's a no-go unfortunately.

I found this thread where it someone was looking for the same thing:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/84630-dealer-programming-door-locks.html

From that thread it didn't seem like there was an easy solution.

Is this something Toyota overlooked, or they do for some perceived safety reason, or is a "nudge" by their marketing dept. to sell their smart key system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.