Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Leaking Sunroof

27K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Mikey D. 
#1 ·
I picked up my 2016 XLE RAV4 back in March, and lately noticed that when I take it for a car wash, water drips through the sunroof. This happened twice.
So I complained to my dealership and this morning dropped it off. They just called me, saying this is normal. The water drips in and then goes out via some tube.
This is unbelievable. I don't buy this at all. Is this normal? Can someone please verify? I owned a 2012 RAV4 prior to this one, and never experienced anything like this.

I'd really appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks.

Ron

#2 ·
Car washes use high pressure jets that the sunroof is not designed for. Whether your leak is "normal" is a separate question, but if you want them to give you a new sunroof you'll probably need to escalate this to Toyota directly.

Isn't there a process to "re-initialize" the sunroof? Would that offer any hope?

#3 ·
From the manual:

When the 12-volt battery is disconnected or the moon roof does not close normally

The moon roof must be initialized in order to ensure proper operation.

Turn the power switch to ON mode.

Press and hold the “CLOSE” or “UP” switch until the following movement finishes.

The moon roof will tilt up and pause for 1 second or more.

Then it will tilt down, open and close fully.

Release the switch, and then press it in order to ensure proper operation.

If the moon roof does not move automatically, perform the procedure again from the beginning.

#4 ·
And there is actually a drain hose near the front of each side that is meant to drain water from the channel. My cx-5 used to let through a few drops here and there as well in an automatic touchless wash but not a drop in the heaviest of downpours. Haven't been through an automatic wash in the hybrid yet.

#6 ·
Doesn't hurt to keep an eye on the sunroof drain tubes. Make sure they are free of debris which may clog tubes. Here is a quick write-up: How to Clean the Roof Drainage Tubes on a Toyota RAV4

Hate to say it but under normal operating conditions it is not normal for them to leak. High pressure car washes or clogged tubes I wouldn't be surprised to see leaks. With that said, we are going on two years with no sunroof leaks.

#11 ·
Have you checked for clogged drain tubes??? In each corner of the sunroof you will find a drain tube hole. They do get clogged with debris, ask me how I know!

#13 ·
Water shouldn't pool if the holes are clear. Maybe the rubber seals around the edges are damaged or shot if your seats got wet. My A pillar and the headliner above my steering wheel were dripping wet, that's how I knew. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.