Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Voice recognition for NAV system

16K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  bicepeak 
#1 ·
Just bought a brand new 2017 RAV4 XLE FWD with the convenience package which includes the horrendous Toyota "voice recognition" navigation system.

I've gone through the voice recognition training...twice even.

The darn thing doesn't recognize anything I tell it, except "cancel navigation". If I say, "Give me directions to Target", it responds "Which bakery would you like". And more like that.

If I key in the destination, it mostly finds it...but not always either.

Everyone I know who owns a Toyota complains about the nav system...and now I see why.

Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I can do to improve this? I'd like to throw it out the window and just use my iPhone for directions, which with Apple Maps and Siri, or Google Maps or even Waze works absolutely perfect. So it's not my voice.

And BTW, when I use Toyota's voice recognition to call someone hands free from my iPhone contacts list, it works perfectly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Use the Entune App suite, it has a destination finder you can use on your phone and save before ever getting into your car. It then asks you to sync the destinations once you have it running on your vehicle. We go over all of this at the time of delivery at our dealership, especially for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission. Service costs something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Sorry, but if I'm purchasing a car from you and your dealership, I would expect you to provide the service of going through the car features...whether your customer gets a good deal or not.

I'm dismayed, however, about your attitude about better service "for those that don't grind every last penny out of our commission". To me, that's a crappy sales person. I know you have to make a living. But in this day and age, everyone who has access to the internet knows what's a fair price and what isn't. And to categorize "good customers" and "bad customers" as to whether they work hard at getting a fair deal is poor on your part.

#3 ·
I have a simple BlueTooth system called BluLogic. With it I can use Siri which works almost perfectly, with my voice or my wife's voice. No training required. You can't beat Apple's voice recognition.

#7 ·
Welcome to the world of Toyota technology.

I bought a 2013 Rav4 Limited, aka: Rattletrap. I thought I was going to have to trade in the Rav in for something else but through internet searching and hard work I fixed most but not all of the noises.
I've since test driven Ford, Acura, Honda, Kia, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Chevy and Volvo... After checking those cars out, I now know Toyota tech systems are close to, if not at the bottom. They just plain suck, as does the interior design, THE WORST.

I'm just sayin, the good old days of Toyota being #1 in quality are OVER.

Wishing you all happiness and good fortune. T

#8 ·
I just received an over the air software update for the 2017 RAV4. I'm hoping this corrects some of the issues with the voice recognition, not to mention a whole bunch of other annoyances in the infotainment system.

I'll post after I try it out and explore.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
I've had no problems with my voice recognition

I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited with advanced technology package. I regularly use the voice recognition for changing the station on the radio (AM/FM/satellite) and to make phone calls. Admittedly I'm not getting really complex with my requests but so far I think it works well.

#16 ·
One solution only

You are doing nothing wrong. As good as Toyota's are for quality, the navigation systems are just terrible. I have a 2015 and it was bad then and apparently they still are now.
I did come across one way to fix this. It is the only sure fire way to do so.
You will need:
1 cigarette light adapter
1 roll of Duct tape
1 external Navigation device, Tom, Tom, Garmin, Magellan, your pick
Plug it in, get out your duct tape and tape the navigation device to the front of the Toyota Navigation screen.
Sorry, only way to fix it, since Toyota doesn't seem to want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.