Brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid / Entune No information displayed for USB audio - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid / Entune No information displayed for USB audio

Good morning,

I have been dealing with this a few months now, and I was hoping to get some tips and tricks on a forum. I just purchased a brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid for the wife. When we first purchased the car both of our iPhone 7 would play just fine over USB audio source. Now whenever I plug in anything no information or album art will display. Bluetooth audio source works just fine.

Entune support agents recommended updating my firmware at the dealership and un pairing and re pairing my wife's iPhone. I have done both with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot for clarity.

Thanks,

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (80.5 KB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused. You plug a phone into the USB port? In order for that to work you must have the phone set to act as a removable storage. But why not just use bluetooth for the phone?
Put your tunes on a thumb drive if you want to use that port.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'm confused. You plug a phone into the USB port? In order for that to work you must have the phone set to act as a removable storage. But why not just use bluetooth for the phone?
Put your tunes on a thumb drive if you want to use that port.
Yes we do, and they used to work perfectly from USB audio source. On top of that, that is how the dealership instructed us to set it up and use it. Again brand new loaded RAV4 so maybe they are different now. You don't have to set iPhones as removable storage they work fine for USB audio.

Bluetooth does work fine but it uses a ton of battery and the album art is right 50% time thanks to garbage Gracenote.

I am considering unplugging the 12volt battery in the back of my hybrid. Does anyone think that is a bad idea?

Thanks,

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmiller View Post
Good morning,

I have been dealing with this a few months now, and I was hoping to get some tips and tricks on a forum. I just purchased a brand new RAV4 Limited Hybrid for the wife. When we first purchased the car both of our iPhone 7 would play just fine over USB audio source. Now whenever I plug in anything no information or album art will display. Bluetooth audio source works just fine.

Entune support agents recommended updating my firmware at the dealership and un pairing and re pairing my wife's iPhone. I have done both with no luck

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot for clarity.

Thanks,

Ben
I guess you mean when you "plug anything in", you mean you have tried a thumb drive and it also will not display properly. If the thumb drive works properly, then I would reformat the partition on the I phone. If the thumb drive also does not work then I would reload the RAVs software. Can you even see a song to select and play?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravgolferjack View Post
I guess you mean when you "plug anything in", you mean you have tried a thumb drive and it also will not display properly. If the thumb drive works properly, then I would reformat the partition on the I phone. If the thumb drive also does not work then I would reload the RAVs software. Can you even see a song to select and play?
The phones worked just fine as a USB source when we bought the car. I have tried plugging in my phone to play something and I get the same no information screen. As you can see from the screenshot I provided there are places for the album - title and album artwork. All of which worked just fine when using any streaming apps.

How do I reload the RAV4 software? I read somewhere about unplugging the battery to reset some stuff. Bad idea?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
How do I reload the RAV4 software? I read somewhere about unplugging the battery to reset some stuff. Bad idea?
Your issue is in the phone. As already instructed, try using a plain USB thumb drive, (FAT32), does that work as expected? If so then you should be looking at the phone.

Several pages in the manual on this. One note is that if the phone is connected vie bluetooth and USB at the same time there could be trouble.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your issue is in the phone. As already instructed, try using a plain USB thumb drive, (FAT32), does that work as expected? If so then you should be looking at the phone.

Several pages in the manual on this. One note is that if the phone is connected vie bluetooth and USB at the same time there could be trouble.
I believe you are mistaken. As I mentioned previously, it worked just fine from day 1 on her phone for all streaming apps, and that is how the dealership instructed us to do it to ensure the phone was charged. If the issue is her phone then why does every iPhone I plug in give the same no information for USB audio? I have also read the doc you mentioned, and made sure to disable bluetooth on the phones I was testing.

I don't want to take the time to find and format a USB drive so I can throw a few albums on there. Honestly, that's not how things work today with smart phones and streaming apps. It seems like it is in your head that if I can get a USB drive to show up as a USB audio source then my Entune system is fine. We were giving a 20 minute demo on this thing including USB audio from my wife's iPhone the day we bought it

What did you mean by resetting RAV4 software?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Unpair the Iphone and see if it works as a USB device, as I understand the manual, you can't use Bluetooth and USB at the same time, that means the Iphone can't be paired at all when using the phone as a USB device.

USB music/iPhone issue - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

2016 Hybrid Limited AWD
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
Unpair the Iphone and see if it works as a USB device, as I understand the manual, you can't use Bluetooth and USB at the same time, that means the Iphone can't be paired at all when using the phone as a USB device
Thanks for the tip. However, I have tried unpairing the iPhone and disabling Bluetooth. If you take a look at the screenshot I provided you can see that the connected device is "Ben's iPhone", which is my personal unpaired iPhone. My wife's iPhone is the only paired iPhone with the car. I get the same results no matter what iPhone I plug in.

Oddly enough, If you click on the link that you provided the original poster said that he is getting album art track and artist info but no audio plays. I have the exact opposite problem. Her iPhone plays audio just fine over USB audio but nothing displays. No album art, or artist info like it used to display.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
I don't want to take the time to find and format a USB drive so I can throw a few albums on there.
Then you're not willing to properly troubleshoot the issue. You need to demonstrate that the system is properly able to access a USB volume.

I'm not sure why you think that anything the dealer told you is correct, but if you prefer that route than take it back to the dealer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page