Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

USB music.

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NikolaiAK 
#1 ·
I bought a low profile lexar 64GB thumb drive.

Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive

I formatted it(to get rid of pre-installed junk) as exFAT and dumped all of my music onto it. Only about 10GB worth. I put it all in a folder named "music" with the plan to make sure all of the ID tags were correct on another PC. However, I plugged it into the rav just to make sure it played but it was not recognized. Looking to re-format my only options are exFAT or NTFS which I know doesn't work. Is my only problem that all of my music is in a single folder in the root? What is the best folder layout? Band names in the root with multiple albums within a bands folder? Or multiple folders of the same band name with different albums in each?

#3 ·
You need a 3rd party drive management tool in Windows, unless Win-10 now offers FAT32. Maybe a Google search will turn up something free. I have Paragon Backup and use that for FAT32 formatting.

I have a Samsung version of that little drive that I really like. None of them are near as fast as they claim. I don't know if there's a size limit, mine is 64GB.

I drop all the tracks in the root of the drive, no folders. I feel like I get better random play that way but I couldn't prove it. Folders do work too, the manual tells you about the allowed depth. The system ignores folders anyway, and uses only tags for sorting.

#5 ·
Thanks for everyone's help and input. I had no idea windows 10 couldn't format in fat32. I did download a 3rd party format tool and currently formatting to fat32. Taking a loooong time though since I'm switching format. Thanks for the help!!! Then have to sort all my music and see if it works.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Ok, so I tried 4 third party formatting/partition apps before I found one that I *think* works. Others gave me errors or said there was no drive and so on and so forth. At least when this last one was done when I checked properties under my computer it says it is now a fat32 drive. Copying music now. Won't be able to try it out in the rav till later though. The program I found that (might have) worked was EaseUS partition master. I'll report back later on success or failure to play in the rav. In theory, if windows now recognizes it as fat32 it *should* work. Don't want to be over confident though because this has been more of a hassle than I expected.
Thanks again for the replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.