Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

When the Rear Door Goes up . . .

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  TruBlue17 
#1 ·
my dogs jump out the back of my RAV4. The problem seems to be the bottom of the rear door bottom shiny trim piece (bumper?) my dogs slip on that and may end up scratching the heck out of it.
And when they jump up and into the rear of the RAV4, same problem, that shiny slippery trim at the bottom (bumper?) again, they will slip and get hurt.

Has anyone come up with a solution for covering that shiny slippery trim piece?

Thanks,

FredSG

#3 ·
Hi Quickdtoo,

Checked on that cover, but I'm not sure it will work. It may move around too much. I've already purchased the Toyota Full Length cargo mat from a Canadian Toyota dealer (this particular cargo mat is not available in the USA). I was looking for something heavier than what you suggested to cover the rear bumper area and just that area.

Thanks for the suggestion.

FredSG

#5 ·
I've trained all my pups quickly & easily, that just jumping out of my truck is not allowed.
- I start by getting out and blocking or shielding the door opening, with my body
- while telling our Doberman girls, to STAY
- within no time, they respected the Rule, made for their safety / because I was consistent

Also, wife has the 2008 RAV4 Limited and our SUV is setup with one back seat always folded down and a LLBean dog bed protects the carpet...so we made our RAV a 3 seater.

Our #2 Rule - dog is never allowed to enter or exit the back door / only side door, on command.
- we use the driver rear door for the dogs in & out
- the Gen3 rear door hinges from one side and can be cracked open, to load groceries
^^ Almost a better design, for family's with dogs.
- but once a dog is trained properly, either hinge type / lift or swing out, is OK

I even solved Kelly from jumping into the front leather seats & causing toe nail damage.
- cut shoulder strap off a junk golf bag / and clipped the nylon ends, around the head rest sliders
Because she learned to come & go, out the side door, behind the driver / tail gate is a non-issue

#7 ·
Reminds me of RUBBER BABY BUGGY BUMPERS. Try saying that 5 times fast. ?

Reactions: prodemann
#9 ·
No, I don't think the 3M clear tape would work. Probably too thin to hold up very long. Still trying to come up with a solution . . . nothing out there seems compatible with the 2017 RAV4 rear bumper . . . except something in stainless steel . . . I want a rubber protective surface.

#10 ·
No, I don't think the 3M clear tape would work. Probably too thin to hold up very long.
Well it is strong enough to defelct a rock at 100km/h...but yeah we don't get hit by rocks as often as dog claws....
Do you have a link for that stainless plate? I am in the same predicament with 2 pugs, a berner and a dog pension!

#11 ·
The stainless steel won't work because it has a slippery surface, what I'm trying to avoid, and why I'd prefer a rubber surface. I'll have to search again for that link. Give me some time to find it . . . not the best solution. Too slippery and will scratch too!

#16 ·
Buy a spray-can of bed liner, mask off the area, and follow the directions so that when fully cured it will have a rough or pebble-ly finish. Kiss that slippery surface goodbye. I knew a guy who did this to the handles of his polished Snap-On ratchets and they had a great solid but rubbery feel to them. Awesome stuff.

#18 ·
I've used the black ABS bumper protectors and the dogs scratch it and stain it pretty bad. Looks crappy in a few months. I have the stainless PU060-42016-P1 now and its holding up really well after a year. It makes a lip for the dogs to grab onto, no slipping at all. It does protect the bumper too. I wouldn't look any further than the OEM stainless.

#21 ·
I have a 2017 now, but I used to have a 2008 that had a factory (dealer installed I think) plastic or rubber strip along the top of the rear bumper. It may not fit your later model exactly but might be pretty close if you could still order one of those?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.