Rear hatch problems - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buerkletucson View Post
I agree...
Just wondering....what does the Canadian portion of your post supposed to mean?
The US version XLE doesn't get the power lift gate either.....

K.I.S.S. principal
Oops, my mistake. Thought the U.S XLE had the power liftgate as an option. Sorry for the confusion.

Joe

2013 Rav4 XLE FWD Barcelona Red

Previous Toyota Vehicles: 1972 Corona, 1989 Camry, 1989 MR2 SC, 1997 Rav4, 2003 Matrix XR.
Current Mods: Toyota Bug Deflector, 3M door Edge Guard, 3M Paint Protectant applied to door sills.
Future Mods: Body Side Mouldings, Weathertech Mats, Weathertech Vent Visors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had to have my hatch struts replaced on my Ltd about a month ago. They failed, wouldn't open. But I had warning at least. Lots of groaning from the strut prior to it failing.
Last night the hatch wouldn't close. Had to manually close it. I'd prefer the regular hatch at this point. Other than that, it's been a great vehicle.
#33 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivygrrl View Post
I had to have my hatch struts replaced on my Ltd about a month ago. They failed, wouldn't open. But I had warning at least. Lots of groaning from the strut prior to it failing.
Last night the hatch wouldn't close. Had to manually close it. I'd prefer the regular hatch at this point. Other than that, it's been a great vehicle.
One of the main reasons I got an XLE instead of a LTD.
Just wait until warranty's up and price out lift gate strut replacement costs.

2013 XLE AWD white
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbird1 For This Useful Post:
Ivygrrl (05-05-2014)
#34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:50 PM

update.
Took the Rav in and the hatch lift was fine. No need for repairs or replacement. Toyota did the repair right the first time. I did have ice caught in the lift gate which would have stopped the power or manual lift. Clearances are very tight on all the doors.
Hopefully with summer coming we won't have any issues.
#35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivygrrl View Post
update.
Took the Rav in and the hatch lift was fine. No need for repairs or replacement. Toyota did the repair right the first time. I did have ice caught in the lift gate which would have stopped the power or manual lift. Clearances are very tight on all the doors.
Hopefully with summer coming we won't have any issues.
Glad to hear things are OK for you.

....and LOL @ "summer coming"... pretty sad that it's Cinco de Mayo and we're still talking about this "will it ever show up?" summer.... ha ha

(I type this in a hoodie and jeans here in NW ohio)
#36 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM

My sister's Sienna had the same sort of power struts. After 230k miles she traded it in. She's real hard on vehicles and broke one of the power side doors at 160k and at a little over 200k the rear struts stopped working. But she thinks it was from the kids forcing the door closed too fast.

Being able to open the rear door from inside a grocery store as it's raining out so I can quickly push the cart under it to unload is worth having it to me.
#37 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Al View Post
My sister's Sienna had the same sort of power struts. After 230k miles she traded it in. She's real hard on vehicles and broke one of the power side doors at 160k and at a little over 200k the rear struts stopped working. But she thinks it was from the kids forcing the door closed too fast.

Being able to open the rear door from inside a grocery store as it's raining out so I can quickly push the cart under it to unload is worth having it to me.
Yeah, that's very true. It also opens so high! That's really nice. Someone in my family (won't name names) who dislikes anything not GM was critical of the speed at which it opens (among many other things). I chuckled a bit later when my 3 year old daughter almost got whacked by the door but I was able to get her out of the way in time.... Sure it's slow to open.... but it's that way for a REASON. My wife has a love/hate with the power liftgate. Mostly because she doesn't know how to operate it properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonard1818 For This Useful Post:
Quentin (05-26-2014)
#38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 01:22 PM

How do you disconnect the strut? My left strut disconnected at the top and I need to disconnect that strut at the bottom on the door or I cannot close the lift gate. I tried prying with a large screwdriver and no luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#39 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 03:30 PM

You may need another hand in trying to do this. Have they other person lift (push up) the lift gate as high as it will go. This will give you more room to move and adjust the strut. I had this problem back in December. The strut popped out and I couldn't close the lift gate. Had my neighbor lift the lift gate even higher in the open position while I adjusted the strut manually. I was then able to get the lift gate closed and to the Toyota dealership. It took 10 days to get me RAV back. Toyota ended up replacing both struts under warranty. Hope this helps.
#40 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 04:43 PM

When this happened to my RAV the mechanic had to unbolt the door hinge thus allowing door to be lifted Then managed to get the ball joint back together and bolt the door hinge onto body.Needed 2 people to do.
New strut fitted next day by dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page