Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2013 RAV4 Fog Lights KIT HELP

152K views 174 replies 53 participants last post by  sappas 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Rec'd and installed

I rec'd the fog light kit from mittaccessories today and not having anything else pressing and the weather being perfect I went ahead and did the install.

They arrived in perfect condition.

With a harness, switch, relay and fuse holder with fuse. A little light on the tie wraps and a package of screws were not req'd at all.

Look like OEM quality to me.

The instructions were pretty basic but everything you need to know is there.

Where to start. Inside or outside. I decided to go inside first as that was going to be the biggest challenge.

I decided to mount the switch in the pull down panel on the left, being the easiest to get to and also allowing for some visual while driving of the on indicator light on the switch.
Pulling out the panel from the bottom and then working up you have the switches revealed and the fuse block id just below it.

The yellow tabs are all that hold the panel in place, but they do a great job.

Pull out the blank and in goes the switch.

The split grommet is on the far left firewall and the hood release cable runs through it as well. I took a straightened coat hanger, the flexible POS kind, and slid it up beside the cable and with a little finagling it follows the cable to access the engine compartment. I will use this later to pull wire back through.

Now to the outside. I decided to pull the wheels to access the fog light blanks.

The blanks are right behind the wheel well liner.

I pulled as few snaps as possible.

And pulled off the wheel air dam, four screw, as well to release the liner.

Ahh, there she is. Two screws and one snap and she is out.

A quick check to make sure everything is equal. Yep, perfect.

Pop in the fog light. A ready to go up top and drop down the wiring harness. Hold on! This already has a harness ready for fog light install. Of course it is pretty inexpensive to go ahead and loom for fog lights as well!
But without a wiring diagram I spent an hour digging around seeing if the rest of the equipment was there. I didn't succeed and decided to just go with the provided harness. Maybe somebody can enlighten me and I can go ahead later and hook up the vehicles harness.

The right side is a tad more difficult because the washer tank is right behind the fog plug. A little juggling and it did go in without moving the tank out of the way.

I ended up running a tap from the power line to the driving lights to the switch. Didn't like to do that but I was at a loss to find another spot.

TADA!

I ordered this July 21 and arrived today, Express Post. No tax, no duty.

I give Mitt two thumbs up.

#148 · (Edited)
I rec'd the fog light kit from mittaccessories today and not having anything else pressing and the weather being perfect I went ahead and did the install.

They arrived in perfect condition.

With a harness, switch, relay and fuse holder with fuse. A little light on the tie wraps and a package of screws were not req'd at all.

Look like OEM quality to me.

The instructions were pretty basic but everything you need to know is there.

Where to start. Inside or outside. I decided to go inside first as that was going to be the biggest challenge.

I decided to mount the switch in the pull down panel on the left, being the easiest to get to and also allowing for some visual while driving of the on indicator light on the switch.
Pulling out the panel from the bottom and then working up you have the switches revealed and the fuse block id just below it.

The yellow tabs are all that hold the panel in place, but they do a great job.

Pull out the blank and in goes the switch.

The split grommet is on the far left firewall and the hood release cable runs through it as well. I took a straightened coat hanger, the flexible POS kind, and slid it up beside the cable and with a little finagling it follows the cable to access the engine compartment. I will use this later to pull wire back through.

Now to the outside. I decided to pull the wheels to access the fog light blanks.

The blanks are right behind the wheel well liner.

I pulled as few snaps as possible.

And pulled off the wheel air dam, four screw, as well to release the liner.

Ahh, there she is. Two screws and one snap and she is out.

A quick check to make sure everything is equal. Yep, perfect.

Pop in the fog light. A ready to go up top and drop down the wiring harness. Hold on! This already has a harness ready for fog light install. Of course it is pretty inexpensive to go ahead and loom for fog lights as well!
But without a wiring diagram I spent an hour digging around seeing if the rest of the equipment was there. I didn't succeed and decided to just go with the provided harness. Maybe somebody can enlighten me and I can go ahead later and hook up the vehicles harness.

The right side is a tad more difficult because the washer tank is right behind the fog plug. A little juggling and it did go in without moving the tank out of the way.

I ended up running a tap from the power line to the driving lights to the switch. Didn't like to do that but I was at a loss to find another spot.

TADA!

I ordered this July 21 and arrived today, Express Post. No tax, no duty.

I give Mitt two thumbs up.
Hi
I install fog lights on my 2014 rav4 , i use the ORIGINAL HARNESS without any extra connection
and when i finish i switched on and i have seen fog light sign at fuel gauge switched on :)
check photos:

Attachments

#6 ·
Very in-depth tutorial. Well done. I already have fogs on my Rav4 but enjoyed reading your thread anyway. Great pics, as well.

#7 ·
Hey Lineareagle,

Excellent pics and instruction. I want to do this to my 13' Rav4 as well but I'm a big chicken...ha.

Can you turn your new fog lights on now with out having the Rav started? or do you have to start the vehicle to power the lights? I'm just wondering if you can drain the battery.

Sure would be awesome if you could use the factory wiring harness.

#10 ·
I ordered and installed the fog light kit from MITaccesories, and I encounter a problem. THERE IS MOISTURE in the lamp. I believe it was from the rain a couple days ago. So I requested for a replacement but they refused. Just because I changed the stock bulb to LED bulbs. Does changing of light bulb terminated WARRANTY? Help please! Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
I don't think you can use the factory wiring harness because the switch is part of the headlight stalk. It wouldn't be too hard to install a new one but I would rather have a dash switch as I like having them on when it's dusk and I don't need headlights and when the high beams are on.

I think the problem with the LED lights is they don't put out enough heat to dry out the light. Maybe you can remove the bulbs and blow warm air into them to dry them out. Make sure there's a small amount of grease on the o-ring to make a good seal when you reinstall the LED bulbs.

#53 ·
Factory Fog Light Harness Hook UP

Received MIT kit, I trace out and use the factory plug and harness, bought a relay from Lordco, plug it in the right side relay box under the hood for fog light circuit.
no fishing wire through firewall.

See post #19 for details

Is this the factory hook up for the fog lights? It's the only plug I don't see anything hooked to that is running to the fuse box on the drivers side of the vehicle.

Attachments

#15 ·
In case you guys want to know "MIT" stands for made in Taiwan, which is basically made in China.

Reactions: jmark59
#17 ·
Fog Light Installation

Installed a MIT aftermarket yesterday with help of friends. Wired the circuit completely independent of all other circuits and ran 1 wire thru the firewall to use for the push button switch to complete the the ground circuit for the relay. This allows me to operate the fog lights anytime I wish independent of the other lights.
The one drawback to this setup is one has to pay close attention to insure the lights are turned off after you reach your destination. The instructions provided with the kit show connecting the control switch to the low beam circuit but this limits your lights to operate only when the low beams are turned on.
We discovered that to use the factory wiring the best route would be to use a new stalk switch and pull the steering wheel to install it. I opted to keep the circuit completely independent all OEM circuits. BTW,the MIT circuit installed did come with an in-line 7.5 amp fuse holder and we located it next to the battery in an easily accessible area.

#18 ·
Installed a MIT aftermarket yesterday with help of friends. Wired the circuit completely independent of all other circuits and ran 1 wire thru the firewall to use for the push button switch to complete the the ground circuit for the relay. This allows me to operate the fog lights anytime I wish independent of the other lights.
The one drawback to this setup is one has to pay close attention to insure the lights are turned off after you reach your destination. The instructions provided with the kit show connecting the control switch to the low beam circuit but this limits your lights to operate only when the low beams are turned on.
We discovered that to use the factory wiring the best route would be to use a new stalk switch and pull the steering wheel to install it. I opted to keep the circuit completely independent all OEM circuits. BTW,the MIT circuit installed did come with an in-line 7.5 amp fuse holder and we located it next to the battery in an easily accessible area.
i connected the red wire from the switch to a park light power supply so that it will only operate when park light (up to headlight) is on . this way there is no way you will forget the fog light on when leaving the car cause the "lights on" reminder will buzz. also the switch light comes on/off with the park light. the switch "on" light indicator comes on/off independently as you push the switch

#20 ·
I realize there is more than one way to accomplish the fog light installation. A Toyota Body Man told me that he pulls the steering wheel when installing a new STALK switch with the fog light position.

My installation is independent and does not T-Tap into any OEM circuits.
While we are on the subject of T-Tap connectors the POSI-TAP is a much superior connector compared to the crimp types provided with the light kit.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap

#21 ·
While we are on the subject of T-Tap connectors the POSI-TAP is a much superior connector compared to the crimp types provided with the light kit.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
Totally agreed, improper crimp of T-Tap connector will caused loose contact which resulted in intermittent failure, very difficult for trouble-shooting. Thanks for your information about Posi-Tap

#30 ·
Did the installation just now, but its not turning on. I hear the MIT relay clicking, switch lights up and everything, but fogs aren't coming on. Relay was placed into the relay box and everything. What could be wrong :(. Red wire from switch went to VSC red wire. Red wire from MIT relay went to white wire. Grounded to frame.

#34 ·
Lol think it turns out the switch is a ground switch.. Ended up just cutting everything off the switch. Did not use the MIT relay or harness, just the switch. White wire to white #36. Both red and black wires are grounded for some reason LOL, and a red wire that isn't connected to anything. Everything works now when tail lights/low beam is on. Switch is also weird lol, lights are on, switch light is turned off. lights are off, switch light is on.

If anyone has some feedback on what to do now lol. However, happy with everything.

#35 ·
If you have a ground circuit type dash switch, connect both red wires to the red wire of VSC switch. There are 2 LED light inside the dash switch, one turn ON with other dash illumination light, the other is used to indicate the Fog light is turn ON (you push the fog light switch). Follow the wiring diagram as below

Kehfun, It seems you don't have much experience with electrical wiring and circuit, I want to remind you when you working on car wiring, make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable. If you accidentally sort some hot wires to ground, the transient might damage car ECU.
Besides, be careful when you work on car battery. As a 35+ yr journeyman electrician, I seen people got serious injured by 12V battery.

Attachments

#38 ·
Search on eBay, rav4 fog light kit. You can use a set from the third gen.

#40 ·
Go on aliexpress, then search for toyota switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.