Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Roof Rails gone!

109K views 169 replies 49 participants last post by  DCrox 
#1 ·
Finally got my dealer to remove those "National Lampoon Vacation looking" roof rails.
Took 8 days to get the access covers in but they ordered the wrong ones. I will go back next week when they come in to have installed. People might have use for the rails and they look great but not on mine. My concern was paint damage but luckily there is none. I think if you wait months you might have trouble. Anybody in the Phoenix area need rails and crossbars?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Can't say I've used mine either......
But, I like the look of them, IMHO the silver rails add to the look of the vehicle.
Can't say I care for the naked look.

Whatever floats your boat.... :thumbs_up:

Reactions: Heialak
#8 ·
I really don't like the look of the side rails. The fact that ALL 2013 RAV4 vehicles have them installed says to me that Toyota just wants you to spend more than $250.00 on the cross bars to complete the installation. This is a good option for some people, not me.

Perhaps including the roof window required Toyota to protect it from those who would carry large sheet materials on the roof by including the side rails.

I worry that removing them will create a roof leak.

#9 · (Edited)
I really don't like the look of the side rails. The fact that ALL 2013 RAV4 vehicles have them installed
I've seen 2013's without the roof rails and stopped to see the access covers on them so I knew I could have them removed. I took a picture with my phone to show my dealer because at first he said they are built that way and can not be removed.

#10 ·
I know that in other countries they are optional so I assumed that there must be a plastic cover for them. I thought about removing them because I really didn't care for them but they kind of make the rav feel taller. Now I'm toying with the idea of painting the chrome (or maybe it's stainless) to match and leaving the ends black since I don't have the cross bars. I was thinking that painted would give it a subtle custom look.

#12 ·
I have plasti dip my rails black

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Now that there is a smart idea if you don't like the silver look.......the 2013 RAV4 just doesn't look right without the rails IMHO.

I'll keep mine silver but it's a good option for others. :thumbs_up:

#18 ·
Sorry took me some time to upload some pics. But here it is.
Looks very nice.............Thanks for posting some pics. :thumbs_up:
I'm assuming that's the stuff that comes in the spray cans?

Don't get to carried away......little is good to much is........well, to much.

#28 ·
I will try.. It's really simple, I just forgot what socket I used to remove the bars. I think it's a 12mm. Anyway, the things I used to remove them. 1) A towel ( to prevent damage on the paint. 2) fork (yeah, the one we use for eating) I just bent it a bit to get the shape I want as I don't have a pry tool for that job. 3) socket set 4) stool ( not the one that comes out of our a#* ) :) and that's about it. You will have to pry the covers as shown in the picture. Place the fork or whatever prying tool your using in between the rubber seal and the plastic cap. I started on the middle prying then sliding the fork to my right and back to the left until it pops out. Do not pull the covers upward. When the cover unclips, pull them to your right or left whatever side your facing. Then do the same for the rest of the covers. After you take out all the covers, get your socket wrench and start unbolting them. And the rest are pretty straight forward. First picture im showing is the slot where you have to insert the tool and pry. 2nd picture is where I started prying the cover. (in my case, the innerside of the bar close to my sunroof.) found it easier that way. I know this is not the best DIY but if you have Q's im here to help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#40 ·
I know I can do that but due to lack of time I always prefer shopping online. I am trying to find a dealer who would sell those types of parts online and not just for the roof rack but for other parts I might need as well. The only tine I walked into the dealer was to sign my name 4 times and pick up my RAV. Everything else from haggling to financing to getting my tags was done online. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.