Tire Pressure - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Pressure

Just came back from my first service (5K) everything ok BUT noticed the tire pressure was at 40 psi. Have the 18" wheels and in the OM and driver side door panel states 32 psi. I live in CO and the dealership said in the colder months this will prevent from having the annoying tire pressure symbol coming on all the time. I asked if that would damage the tires and they said no.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2013 Limited: Pyrite Mica: BD, BSM, Nav, JBL, MF, 3T, Roof Rack Cross Bars
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 180K
1998 Corolla CE 178K 5 speed (still 38 - 40MPG)
1992 Ford Explorer 177 K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM

May ride a bit stiffer than what your used to but won't cause any probs. They are correct in that the higher initial pressure will mitigate the chances of lower pressure and setting the monitor off.

Enjoy!

2013 RAV4 Limited AWD - Black/Black
Nav, JBL, Body Side Moldings, Hood Deflector, Autostart, WT Floor Mats, OEM Cargo Mat,
Winter Alloy Rims
Mods: Morimoto HID soon

2010 RAV4 Base AWD - Black Forest Pearl/Sand Beige
17" Aluminium Alloy Wheels, Wheel Locks, Tonneau Cover, Privacy Glass, Hood Deflector, Autostart, WT Floor & Cargo Mats
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

I run my tires at 40 psi all the time at my servicing dealer's service manager's suggestion and we have very little freezing weather here. Improves handling, ride is somewhat firmer but not objectionable IMO.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM

It's possible you will wear the center tread of your tire quicker. Usually, at least for me, the outer edges of the tires wear out first so even if it was to wear quicker it may not really matter.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You will wear the center faster. I observed that even at 36 psi.

Lately I have been keeping my tires around 32psi in summer and add more air in the colder months to keep it around 32 psi too. In warmer weather, I let some air out.

It's not a complicated thing to do afterall.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Europe" - Wings of Tomorrow
#6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Several variables to consider. Was the 40 psi pressure measured right after driving on a highway, or after the car was parked for a while? Was it a particularly warm day, average day or really cold weather?

The pressure on the sticker is cold tire pressure, meaning that this is the pressure you should have at whatever is the ambient temperature after a long rest period - typically first thing in the morning, before driving the car.

So, if you had 40 psi after several miles on a highway on a warm or average day, then I would say it's normal. The pressure will probably be around 32-34 psi if you measure it on a next cold morning. You get ~1 psi for each 10 F ambient temperature, and the difference between cold (i.e. after long rest) and warm (i.e. within 1 hr after highway drive) tires is typically another 3-5 psi.

That's why you really should check tire pressure first thing in the morning, before driving. Even a couple of miles on a road will make a difference.

As for tire damage, you don't need to worry. Most tires are rated 44 psi cold, meaning that that they can withstand around 55 psi or more when warm/hot. Some tires tend to wear faster in the center when over-inflated, but it really depends on the tire construction.

Most people actually drive with under-inflated tires - just have a look at several cars on a parking lot and you will notice that most tires are more worn toward the edges then in the center - a clear indication that the tires are under-inflated. This is because most people check tire pressure at a gas station, not realizing that the tires are warm, while the manufacturer's recommended pressure is applicable to cold tires only. Actually most owner manuals state that you should NOT lower the pressure if you find it higher than recommended if you check the pressure immediately (less then one hour) after driving. But who reads manuals, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to katekebo For This Useful Post:
leeharvey418 (11-15-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Al View Post
It's possible you will wear the center tread of your tire quicker. Usually, at least for me, the outer edges of the tires wear out first so even if it was to wear quicker it may not really matter.
I had thought about center tread wear at 40psi but with my wife's last CR-V her OEM Bridgestones were still legal at about 50,000 miles. I had them replaced because winter was coming and the tread was a bit worn IMO for safety, since we get a lot of rain here.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 PM

I'm struggling with this. I have a 2013 Limited with 18 inch tires. My OM says says 32 PSI. The little label by the drivers door says 32 psi. The actual tires that were on my car when I bought it new from the dealer say 44 psi. That's a pretty big difference. Which one should be used?!
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhwe View Post
I'm struggling with this. I have a 2013 Limited with 18 inch tires. My OM says says 32 PSI. The little label by the drivers door says 32 psi. The actual tires that were on my car when I bought it new from the dealer say 44 psi. That's a pretty big difference. Which one should be used?!
You'll probably get answers with all sorts of recommendations. What pressure to use depends upon what the user wants. 32psi is recommended by Toyota for what they regard as the best compromise among several factors such as ride, handling, tire wear, fuel mileage, etc. The pressure indicated on the tire itself usually is the maximum pressure which the tire maker recommends. I keep mine at 40psi, on the high side, for better handling on our twisty mountain roads and hopefully somewhat better fuel mileage as well as tire wear (the latter based upon experience). Other members will have different opinions - obviously you can make your own choice.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

40 psi is too high for me, as the harsher ride and increased centre tread wear don't offset the lower rolling resistance. I keep mine at 35 psi.

2013 XLE AWD white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page