Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Removing roof rails?

12K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Azjeff 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the factory rails? We'll never haul anything up there and just curious what it would look like without them. Thanks

#10 ·
After reading the instructions in the Roof Rails Gone thread I took them off today, piece of cake. Man I like the look, with the rails gone the lines of the RAV are much more visible. Since we'll never ever use them I hope to keep them off and buy the delete parts..but..TOWMBO thinks she likes the rails on. We didn't drive it anywhere today so only looked at it in the drive. I can reach to the center of the roof now so washing/drying will be easier as a bonus.

#11 ·
You need to buy those "delete parts" asap, you don't want water and condensation building up in your roof.

#12 ·
Yeah I know, but I do live in Arizona you know. We bought the RAV April 19th and last week was the first time it had seen a little rain while driving. Plus I taped over the blank spots. Water normally runs under the rubber gasket that protects the paint from the rail base, it's not a waterproof seal. There's a nylon tube that sticks up from the bolt holes that must seal to the bottom of the gasket and the bolts have a rubber washer. Hard to explain without seeing how it's put together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.