Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Aftermarket/DIY automatic lifegate for the RAV4

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cwhfsr 
#1 ·
Since I bought the XLE for the wife, the only complaint I have about the car is the lack of an automated lift gate/trunk opener. Does anyone know if there is an OEM or aftermarket kit available?

#2 ·
You could hire a neighbor kid to ride along with you and hop out and open and close it for you. :)

I'm sure anything is possible. A neighbor put Lambo doors on his 2012 Dodge Avenger, and it looks factory.

But is it worth $$$ to you?

#5 ·
I'm thinking this would not be an easy install, and doubt that the vehicles come pre-wired.

I have a 2013 XLE that does NOT have an auto lift gate... I wish it did.

The ones I looked at which did had a button on the dash and a button on the lift gate in addition to the extra button on the remote (and with that you would need a new chip in the key and I'm not sure how you would get it programmed since the dealer likely would only flash to your car which wouldn't include an auto-lift gate? Not sure if that is an option they can add with their software and getting new keys flashed is NOT cheap even if you bring all the stuff to them... I lost one with my prior car).

At best I'm think you would have to run all the wiring, and only open/close it from the car and not the key.

Not sure if it is related, but I watched video instructions when installing my hitch wiring. That was a 2013 Limited. Under the car was extra wiring going to the back area which is not on my 2013 XLE (came up through a grommet on the drivers side behind the rear wheel). I was wondering what that extra wiring was for, perhaps this is it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.