Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Windshield Tint Strip?

34K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  nouse4aname 
#1 ·
Has anyone added a piece of tint to the top of their windshield? I was thinking on having it installed to help cut down on the sun causing glare on the Navigation screen. If you had it done what % did you go with and how far down the windshield did you tint?

#12 ·
Sorry, CTX is the "type of Tint that was used…. and "05" indicates which % was used.
That means that only 5% of light can penetrate through that tint.

On my two front side doors I had them install the CTX-35 which means I have 35% light blockage.

There are also other versions of tint as well but they do not offer the same benefits as the CTX line.

There is ATC, which is the cheapest…it is mostly charcoal color and doesn't offer any UV protectant.

Then there is ATR which offers UV protectant and a classier shade of tint then the charcoal…usually a mirrored reflection.

Then there's CTX, which is the most expensive tint of the three offering not only UV protection but also Heat protection as well. meaning it Keeps heat out like insulation.

Hope that helps some…..

#7 ·
I have had the windshield tinted on my last 4 Tacoma's so I am planning on getting the windshield tinted in my Rav. I am going to get it tinted 5% probably about 9 or 10 inches. For some reason the sun kills my eyes so much so I am thinking about having the to front side windows done as well. Does anyone what percentage the back windows are tinted by the factory 20 or maybe 15%?

#11 ·
and what about the dots on the inside of the windshield ? do you end up with air spots between the dots ?

i really need to add a tint strip. i am worn out playing sun visor tag
what is wrong with toyota not putting a tint strip on rav4's

my wife's camry has a fully tinted windshield, no need to play sun visor tag !

#14 ·
Thanks for the pic, so now problems with your tint sticking? Mine is starting to come off the windshield right behind the rear-view mirror. (were the factory lines are on the inside of the windshield)

#15 ·
Burns, I had my tint installed since the first week I got my Rav4 last year and still no problems.

Most Window Tinting shops guarantee their tint with a lifetime warranty.
I know mine did …..

We just had my Mom's new 14" Prius tinted last week from a different shop since she is in Cali and they too offered her a lifetime warranty.

So I would def check with them…

#18 ·
Thanks for the info I will stop the shop that did mine and have them take a look at it. Funny thing this is the first vehicle I didn't do the windshield strip myself. I thought I would let the pros do it because it would come out better.

#17 ·
Any Canadians know the legality of this for us Canucks? Seems like a good idea.

#20 ·
In BC, law allows tinting to all rear windows to any darkness you want. Front windows, no tinting allowed. Front windshield tint strip on top only, allowed.
My Car is 5% limousine tinted this way, for privacy and cuts all following car's headlights.

#28 ·
Sorry but this info is false!

Ammonia, will ruin tint and eventually turn it purple!

This is why you buy a glass cleaner with NO ammonia in it!!!!!!! Period!!!!!

Again, I have been using (Ammonia Free) Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner at least twice a week on all my interior glass and NEVER had a problem with any of my tint fading or discoloring!

And I live out here in the High Desert with extreme heat so I think I would have noticed something after all these years and having tint on all my vehicles.

#30 ·
Yep, never use anything with ammonia on plastics. Ammonia + UV rays = discoloration. I use Armor All glass cleaner for everything. It has no ammonia and works great!

#31 ·
I always use and recommend invisible glass (in aerosol can), it's works really good and has no ammonia. I also use the spray bottle version for my home windows.

#34 ·
I had been using it since 2009 and it's really useful! (specially in a place like this -Guadalajara - where Sun is a huge concern! >:D)

Mine is "nobrand" 20%. Also, I have installed it in the side windows (of course, this is Mexico; where you can do whatever you want to do!)

Greetings!!!

#37 ·
I just got a new vehicle inspection sticker this week and a sign at the station read "Window tint under 45% will fail!" Does that mean the tint blocks 45% of the light? My RAV has the factory tint in the back which is fine, but I've seen some pickup trucks around here with front windows so dark you can't even see the driver in broad daylight!

#39 ·
I like Air Blue on the whole windshield. Ceramic based tint that's just 80% so it's barely perceptible. Have to park it next to an untinted one to tell. But it makes a big difference in heat rejection. My GTI had a black leather steering wheel and a leather shift knob with a chrome piece that would be blazing on hot sunny days before I installed that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.