Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

HID Kit Problems - HELP!!!

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  DL175 
#1 ·
I ordered an HID Kit for my 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD with auto headlights, and sometimes both sides will work, sometimes they both won't, and sometimes they flip-flop sides on which one will work at a time. I believe it has something to do with the different resistances the system see's between halogen bulbs and HID kits. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem to where they work all the time when the light switch is switched to auto?

- I do have an universal HID harness from DDM installed and have tried the kit directly connected without harness and also with harness, same result.

#4 ·
I believe you have a set of defective (or incompatible) ballast for the HID bulbs... I have two different HID kits by SDX through Amazon for my other cars, so far they have been working perfectly for 3+ years. As for my RAV4, I use the Perde xenon-enhanced halogen bulbs (an exact replacement of the OEM halogen bulb) to save me the hassle from installing any kit...

#5 ·
I appreciate everyone's quick reply. What is surprising is that my kit is a Kensun Kit and I have had multiple kits of theirs in the past, with no problems. I will try one of my three sets of DDM 35w ballasts I have laying around to see if that will fix the problem tomorrow. If that does not work could It be the different resistances the car is seeing since this car has auto on headlights?

#10 ·
Hello. Yes there are a few issues with adding aftermarket HID's to newer Toyota's. The vehicle BCM will not see a resistance on the headlight and therefore will not send current to the low-beam wires. The way that I have fixed this issue is two ways. 1) I use good quality Ballasts. Expensive ballasts. The heavy duty ballasts. Dont use the cheap/inexpensive ballast. Dont buy the $49 ones. They will work intermitanly and you will waste your time trying to find a fix. 2) I use a combination of a expensive/good quality ballast along with a relay to incorporate the aftermarket HID kit to the vehicle. Hope this helps

#12 ·
2) I use a combination of a expensive/good quality ballast along with a relay to incorporate the aftermarket HID kit to the vehicle. Hope this helps
So, basically what you were saying is that you used a relay to route a separate power source to the ballast(s) to bypass the Body Control Module (BCM) and sold your customer an expensive ballast(s) while you could have used the customer's existing ballast!?
i.e. Certain HID kits only use single ballast configuration while most use one ballast per bulb config.

Most vehicles manufacturers pair their Day-time Running Light (DRL) with high beam using a reduced current which I agree is generally not sufficient to power the ballast, therefore result in either the light flickering or not working at all. In this case on the RAV4 in reference is for the low beam, "adding a replay" will certainly defeat the purpose of "plug-N-play". Personally, I would suggest to exchange the HID kit or upgrade the standard halogen bulbs to aftermarket xenon 6K-lumens or brighter bulbs as desired and legally allowed.

#13 ·
I am also having issue with my HID fog lights. I also have HID headlights that is working ok. My HID fog lights does not work on one side. When I disconnect one side the other side works. Tried all sorts of wire combination. It appears the bulb, ballast are working. The wiring are tight. Reversing polarity will not change anything. I have a relay which connects to the battery for the fog lights. I have one power wire for both the fogs that is going to 87 of the relay. I think I will connect one fog light to the 87a and the other to 87 of the relay to see if it works.

#15 ·
HID ONE LIGHT NOT WORKING SOLVED!

I finally solved my hid light problem when only one side works. I could only get one side to work no matter switching ballast or bulbs or wires around. Just a note I do have a relay harness to the battery.

Today I found the problem. Before the hid lights were joined from one wire to the relay.

To solve this problem each fog light wire went to the relay separately. So you must have two wires going to the relay and it seems there is too much draw from the ballast so that the other fog does not have enough current. :laugh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.