Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto on/off Headlights 2016 SE

54K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  apala 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2016 SE this week and there is no auto on/off feature on the headlights. Everything I look at has this listed as standard for the SE.

Is there a reason this car may not have the auto on/off feature on the headlights? Was there an early period that the SE did not have these? You would think a vehicle that stickers over $30k would have this.

#3 ·
Thanks Richard. That's what's on mine, too. I haven't 'turned on' lights since 1992. I drove 8 of my 11 mile commute with no headlights this morning.

I'll get used to it, but I'm curious as to why everything states they are standard on the SE (not on the LE), yet this one does not.

#4 ·
They will turn off automatically if left on.
Leave them on, shut off the engine, get out, close the door, and lock it with the remote, or wait 30 seconds and they will shut off.

They CAN be left on 24/7, but it will hurt filament life if you do a lot of daytime driving.

#5 ·
That what I do, leave them on. It was 7 years before one of the OEM bulbs burned out.

#6 ·
We have the auto headlights in the xle and limited in Canada. 2013- 2015 anyway, not sure of the 2016. DRL's are mandatory in Canada(they are always on with no option to shut off) so I guess the re-purposed the DRL position from the US version for auto lights in Canada. I don't use them though because it results in a lot of toggling of the lights on and off in daytime which is also harder on the filaments and reduces lifespan.
For example, start car on a sunny day while in the garage, lights come on. Pull out of garage, lights go off. Sometimes under overpasses the lights will come on briefly, then shut off. Then I get into the parkade at work and the lights un neccessarily turn on again etc.

I just turn them on when I need them and off when I don't. Simple as that.

#16 ·
We have the auto headlights in the xle and limited in Canada. 2013- 2015 anyway, not sure of the 2016. DRL's are mandatory in Canada(they are always on with no option to shut off) so I guess the re-purposed the DRL position from the US version for auto lights in Canada. I don't use them though because it results in a lot of toggling of the lights on and off in daytime which is also harder on the filaments and reduces lifespan.
The stalks are electrically the same.
The Canadian stalk is the same as the US Limited stalk.. On, Parking, Auto, Off.
US XLE (at least up to 2015) is On, Parking, DRL, Off.

The difference is in the programming of the ECU. The US models kill the DRL in the "Off" position whether Limited or XLE.
The Limited can be left in the "Auto" position permanently and the lights operate according to the light levels. The XLE either needs to be left "on" permanently (thus, no DRLs, but full-brightness lighting at all times), or manually switched between On, DRL, and Off.
It sounds like perhaps the Canadian ECU effectively toggles between Auto and DRL in the Auto/Off positions... or do you not have an "off" position?

This is annoying, and though my wife WANTS to run with DRLs, she is pushing 60 and lacks the ability to learn to stop turning the stalk "one click above" off.

I've considered mechanically blocking it for her.
Or... if the Canadian XLE does not have an "Off" position, maybe I'll pull her steering wheel and swap the thing out.

#8 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. All websites, brochures etc show auto ON/OFF (not just auto off) but my 2016 SE didn't have this feature as well. I emailed Toyota direct to address this last week but haven't gotten a response yet.

The headlight stock on the steering column shows:
Lights on
Parking lights
DRL
Off

#12 ·
Mine has exactly the same. How long have you had your SE? I bought mine last weekend, so not quite a week yet.

#9 ·
It could be as simple as they put on the wrong stalk when assembled. Put your stalk in drl position with the car on and see if they work as auto head lights (cover the photocell on your dash with a hand towel). As I've learned with my 2014, the stalks are the same besides the labels, the ability is unlocked/locked in the ecu.

#10 ·
I've been using the DRL the whole time. I drove 8 miles the other morning before realizing I had no lights on other than the daytime running lights.

I'll actually bring it up Saturday when I go in for my cargo net and the garage door opener I left in my Camry (dang it). I'll call my sales lady and ask if I should make an appointment with the service dept or with her. Maybe she can do some legwork beforehand. I am a repeat customer at this dealership, so that should rate something. Right? :smile

I had actually asked my nephew who sells Toyota about this and he even said it was standard.

#13 ·
Does your window sticker actually say "auto on/off". Mine does not.

#15 ·
FWIW, the online brochure says the headlights on the XLE hybrid are auto on/off as a standard feature. The one I recently drove did not have the auto feature. I tried calling toyota for a straight answer, boy was that a mistake. They have some of the dumbest people in the world taking those calls and trying to document the issue. I never got an answer because people kept trying to answer a question I never asked. I gave up.

I'd love to hear what they tell you when you go back in.

#17 ·
Yes the Canadian version does have an off position. But in that off position, the DRL are still on due to the laws here. But like you stated, it's all in the ECU programming. I have checked and you are correct, the stalks are the same electrically.
According to multi function switch diagram, in the OFF position on all versions of the vehicle, all contacts in the switch are open. So basically the ECU in Canada is programmed to turn on DRLs when all contacts are open, in the US, no lighting at all when all contacts are open. And unfortunately, looking at the schematic, there is no "safe way" to enable them (from the switch anyway) permanently. There is a risky way that *may* work totally fine, or may blow up your ECU, but I don't want to suggest it for obvious reasons. lol

#18 ·
Just bought a 2016 AWD SE 3 days ago and we noticed no auto on/off head lights, as well as no rearview mirror auto dim/homelink. Our 2011 Subaru Outback had these features. Even the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring had them, as well as heated mirrors. However, being the RAV4 is such a better ride and seems to be very well built, we are learning to live with these minor inconveniences. If Toyota wants to retrofit the stalks at a later date that will be fine by me.

I love the leather seats.

#21 ·
Actually brochure indicates its standard on xle, se, and limited. Only auto off standard on le.

I've only seen info that says its standard equipment online, I don't think there is much ambiguity. I think Toyota made a mistake and the 16's are just like the 13-15's where only the limited has auto on/off despite what the brochures and online specs say:

Toyota RAV4 - 2016 Models: RAV4 Base, RAV4 Sport & RAV4 Limited

#22 ·
Sometimes what is in the brochure doesn't make it to production models.
Marketing finishing their job before final production decisions and all.

I don't remember if it was the '12 or '13 Tacoma, the TRD Sport showed in the brochures as having the self-dimming mirror but it was not an included feature.

#23 ·
So as CB91710 said, Toyota confirmed this.

We have confirmed that all 2016 RAV4 SE models without the Advanced Technology package do not come with Auto-on/off headlamps. We are working with the appropriate departments in order to get this information corrected on our website.

Since information may be released regarding specs and features of our vehicles prior to production, disclaimers are posted to caution that the information is subject to change without notice.

Looks like you need the advanced tech package to get the auto on/off feature.

#25 ·
Sorry but seriously here is where I live up to my sign in name then. >:D

Our RAV has the auto on/off but we refuse to use it as we feel that if
as a driver you are incapable of judging when lights are needed then
perhaps you should just hand in your drivers license.
You are dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians and an accident
just waiting to happen..

#26 ·
Living up to my sign in also, lol

To each their opinion, but we're talking about convenience here. With that mentality, one could argue that driving with an automatic transmission could render them dangerous since they don't know how to control their drivetrain. Admittedly however, cars these days DO come with A LOT of driver aids. We have "auto piloting" Teslas out there for goodness sake, which I'm sure really grind your gears :D

#30 ·
You still get the warning tone.
That's why my wife gave up on that.
She's disabled, so when she parks, it's a 5 minute ordeal (okay, maybe only 1 or 2) to open the back door, get her purse and cane, then close and lock everything up.... really irritating with the alarm going the whole time, plus it "covers" the single beep when you open the door with the moonroof cracked open.

So she just drives around without DRLs and uses the stalk "normally"

#31 ·
Glad you cleared up the fact that the headlights auto-off feature is mistakenly documented on SE brochures. Also shown on the brochures for the SE is memory seats. We just bought our 2016 SE with softex power and heated seats, yet there are no buttons for seat position memory like the limited. Not too big a deal, but I don't like the confusion when I read it, yet it isn't there. Also, I agree with other comments people made about no auto-dimming mirror, no Homelink. While not all that important, not having these on a car at this price level surprises me. And you are correct, no good place to put the bulky garage door opener. I am going to by a new rear view mirror with homelink built in. And while I am at it, is the rear view mirror oddly low? for me, it blocks out half the windshield, and it could sit a good inch and a half higher with no problem. Other than these few little niggles, I like my sport a lot.

#35 ·
I can confirm that my SE with advance tech DOES have the "auto" position on the stalk. The other SE's that I test drove sans-advanced tech did not.

#40 ·
Yep, heated wheel is only in Canada, sadly.

The other thing I just noticed about the lighting...
The fog lights only operate with the headlights... This makes no sense to me. Ever other car I've had (more then 15 between personal and work) the fog lights would turn (via their own switch) with just the "parking" lights on. Isn't that the point of fog lights? Having an option to run your parking/tail lights and a low-low beam out front for slow pea-soup fog driving?

I was looking forward to running the DRL's, parking, and fogs at dusk, I think that looks really slick. However if I rotate my stalk forward from auto to parking, the fogs shut off regardless of weather the inboard fog switch (the rotating cylinder) is off or on.

????

#41 ·
I can confirm my 2016 SE AWD w/advanced tech package will turn the headlights on/off automatically. On the stick, it is set to "auto". The light turn on when I turn the car on in the garage. About 30 seconds after I pull out of the garage on a sunny day, the lights turn themselves off.

#44 ·
Automatic High Beams (AHB) in Canada are only available on the Limited packages when opting for Toyota Safety Sense on the non-hybrid LTD and opting for the technology package on the hybrid LTD. They work by pushing out the stock when in Auto mode. An indicator light comes on the dash that shows 'AUTO'

#43 ·
2016 Limited has Auto feature and auto hi beams; but Canadian version. USA not mandatory maybe for DRL. But DRL is a proven safety feature from research done 35 yrs. ago, when I was design engr. in automotive lighting. Saved something like 200 lives / yrs. in Europe even back then. Shame not mandatory in USA for "Auto" lights feature. Been using it in Canada for 20 yrs. - great no brainer on off. With LED headlights now - no worries regards wearing out filaments, etc.

Mostly connectors get corroded think these days still. Use "electrical silicon grease" special dielectric properties grease for spark plug wires, battery, etc. -- so put it on all your electrical connectors plugs / sockets - but use a very fine layer i.e. tiny amount for corrosion resistance and very thinly applied. Too much and water goops up on the globs of silicon grease blocks connectors holes and water cannot flow thru in some types of connectors.

#45 ·
2016 Limited has Auto feature and auto hi beams; but Canadian version. USA not mandatory maybe for DRL. But DRL is a proven safety feature from research done 35 yrs. ago, when I was design engr. in automotive lighting. Saved something like 200 lives / yrs. in Europe even back then. Shame not mandatory in USA for "Auto" lights feature. Been using it in Canada for 20 yrs. - great no brainer on off. With LED headlights now - no worries regards wearing out filaments, etc.
Hello. As I have already written here before, the whole lightning system of 4.4 gen Rav-4 is one big mess. Here's a thread about my concerns:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/221209-2013-headlights-dont-shut-off.html
I agree with you that the DRL is a proven safety feature. More over we get some discount from insurance company for driving the car equipped with DRL. And then this absolutely stupid and useless OFF position on the stalk makes some people (I've seen a lot) to drive their Ravs without DRL at all.
I don't know if Toyota improved its lightning system in the latest models, but the lightning in my 2013 XLE is one big real illogical mess.
I have also a question for you. The original regular Sylvania 9005 low beam bulb has 60W and the bulb I replaced it with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra has 65W. Do you think my Silverstar Ultra gets the whole 65W from the draw or it's limited to 60W for original bulb? Sorry this might sound as a stupid question.

#46 ·
DRL's are a good thing - so surprised it's not mandatory everywhere. The problem lies in inclement weather - people think they are safe/OK because they have lights on at the front. Problem is, they have no rear lights! I love the law in some US states where if your wipers are on, then the full headlight system must be on too. SO much safer for everyone - I know I do it now whenever the weather warrants it.

#47 ·
My auto-off headlights didn't seem to function on my 2016 Rav4 SE U.S. version (no "auto" setting on the light control stalk). The lights stayed on, even after I locked the doors twice with the remote.

I navigated around the car setup settings on the radio, as described on page 695 of the manual. Although the headlights seemed to already be set to auto off, I clicked the settings on and off again on the radio, and then the auto-off worked correctly. Now the lights turn off when I click the lock button on the remote twice.

It still alarms when I exit that the lights are still on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.