Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Question on cross bars on 2013

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pointer80 
#1 ·
Hello I just purchased a 2013 Rav4 xle and have a question on adjusting the cross bars on the luggage rack. It looks like you have to unlock the bars somehow? Is there a special tool that you have have? Thanks all.

#4 ·
It looks like you have to unlock the bars somehow? Is there a special tool that you have have? Thanks all.
Yes, there is a "tool". It is a little, black plastic cylindrical-shaped "thingy" that I attached to my RAV keyfob so that it would never get lost. Two of them come with the cross-bar kit.

You use the tool to turn the "bolt" 1/4 turn, then lift up on the "tab". When the "tab" is "up", turn it to loosen the lower retaining piece, then lift the rack off or reposition for your current needs.

NOTE: on the passenger-side of the front rack, underneath, are two allen-head bolts that when loosened, allow the rack to extend or contract so that it will fit most securely where you place the crossbars on the longitudinal racks. Be sure to tighten those screws before securing the cross bar because once attached, it is extremely difficult to access those width-adjustment bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.