Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Can't get windows clean...

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
So I've read hundreds of search results on this topic, but I still can't seem to get my windows clean on my 2016 RAV4, especially the sunroof. I just can't seem to get the spots out, no matter what I do. I've tried Windex, I've tried 50/50 water/vinegar, I've tried foaming glass cleaner, even just plain old water.

And when I do manage to clean spots off the side windows, I get a big smudge, especially visible when the sun hits it... ugh...

So what do you all do to get your windows clean?

#2 ·
When my RAV was delivered with some sort of coating on the glass which I couldn't get off with window cleaner I used Soft Scrub. That did the trick, but of course it was somewhat time consuming.

#3 ·
I've settled on rubbing alcohol and microfiber cleaning clothes for the initial cleaning, apply alcohol liberally to clean cloth, wipe windows, dry with clean cloth, repeat if really dirty. Then clean with Stoner's Invisible Glass, this combination works the best of anything I've ever used.

#6 ·
When my new windshield was delivered, it came with a plastic protective film that was glued to it.
That glue made the glass look like it was defective because it defracted light in weird ways.
It took a lot of elbow grease with alcohol (you can even use hand sanitizer which evaporates less fast) and goo-gone to get rid of it.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try alcohol. There's no plastic on the Windows, just water spots. I could take a Brillo pad (I'd never do that...) to the sunroof and I still wouldn't be able to get the spots out... It's crazy... I have an 8-pack of microfiber cloths that I keep in my car. I'll hit the Windows, carefully, with alcohol, then Invisible Glass and see what happens.

Was just thinking... What type, or percentage, of alcohol do you all recommend? Or does it matter?

#9 ·
I use the cheap 70% stuff straight from the bottle, some dilute it with equal parts water. To clean really hard to remove stuff like Rain-X and silicone I use glass stripper, basically it superfine rubbing compound that polishes the glass and doesn't scratch it, 3M, Meguiar's and others make it specifically for glass.

#10 ·
Might also try a clay bar on the sunroof followed by Stoners glass cleaner. I used this to get overspray off of my windows and sunroof after having my hood re sprayed, the body shop did a terrible job of covering exposed parts.
The clay bar took off the overspray and when done, my sunroof was the cleanest it has ever been, no more spots.
I used auto car wash, just a few drops in a spray bottle and mixed with plain water as the lubricant for the clay bar.

#12 ·
So using the sunroof as the experiment, I tried 91% rubbing alcohol... didn't work well at all, and I also found out not to use it with a hand that has cuts on them... D'OH!

I tried the Magic Eraser and Invisible Glass... it worked better but can still see the spots. I did all of the other windows and they actually look pretty good. So we'll see... maybe I'll hit them all again with the Soft Scrub and a Magic Eraser... I must have pretty awful city water... :(

Thanks for the help everyone!!

#13 ·
Sounds like these are tough stains. Continue to use the Magic Eraser but first mix a bit of water and Barkeepers Friend to make into a paste. Spread the paste onto the window with the magic eraser. Rub only hard enough to remove the stains. then hose off with water. Dry with a microfibre towel. Best to apply a wax on it afterwards to protect in the future ie carnuba wax.Should do the trick. You can find Barkeepers friend at any home hardware store or Walmart.

Good luck

#14 ·
Thanks for the tip...

Yea, I must have extremely hard (or soft) water (however that works...). I've heard of Barkeeper's Friend, I'll get some this weekend. Supposed to get massive rain tomorrow so I won't be able to try anything until at least Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.