Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Spare tire storage relocation

7K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about relocating the spare from the rear cargo area to resting on top of the vehicle.
Couple reasons being front/rear balance as well as creating extra inside storage space in the cargo area.
Does anyone have a roof rack on their rails/cross bars? Would like to know how the rav4 drives with the spare on top.

#2 ·
Having the spare on top would make the vehicle somewhat more top-heavy, likely of little consequence if driving is mostly on relatively straight line highways. However, the spare would need to be very strongly secured to prevent it becoming a missile in collisions and hard stops, and also to prevent theft.

#3 ·
I grew up in africa where all vehicles were 4wd landrovers/landcruisers.
The preferred storage of spare was on top or on a rack mounted on the hood. Some were also mounted behind the rear door.
The latter option is not viable for rav4 '16 model since the door opens upward.
Never seen any problems offroad with spare on top or on hood.

Freeways might be different driving wise.

#4 ·
I expect a roof mounted tire would have a significant negative effect on your 39.1 MPG, especially at CA freeway speeds. I'd say 5-7 MPG at least.

#9 ·
As Dr. Dyno said, we both are pleased that you asked. And we provided answers based upon experience and having been around for a while - that's one of the reasons for having forums such as this. As for roof mounting the spare, as he mentioned it would need to be securely bolted to the roof, and also since the roof metal isn't thick-gauged it also would need to have some sort of reinforcing done. It would appear that the spare wheel is best left in the OEM location.

#10 ·
Why not just leave the spare home? Blowouts are rare on good paved roads ALA the tires are good. And with TPMS your should get plenty of warning of a puncture leak. A can of flat fix will get you home in that case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.