Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

BRIGHT FOG LIGHT BULBS

57K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  travelwitheric 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed there factory fog light bulbs on the 2016 or 2017 rav?
I have bought several bulbs but they don't work. Need something bright to go with the LED head lights. Hopefully someone has bought bulbs somewhere and they can lead down the right path. Thank You

#2 ·
Have been wanting to do the same thing. The LED headlights look great, but when you turn the fogs on there is much left to be desired when it comes to brightness and colour temperature.

Any halogen replacement I have looked at doesn't do it for me.
Have been considering a 35w HID conversion kit for them.

#6 ·
Hey all, n00b poster here so please don't shoot the messenger :)...I just read about this in another thread and someone said it's actually better to have the yellow lights in fog - that's why they're there. I also thought it looked weird and love the way the brighter ones look, but apparently the yellow ones actually have a function and purpose...I'll post the thread if I find it! Can anyone verify?

Reactions: prodemann
#17 ·
The yellow or amber provides a really nice contrast with fog/rain. The whiteness of the LED (5000K-6000K) will give a lot of glare back to the driver in foggy conditions. If you are unsure about this, then I'd recommend getting the bulbs (LED), try them. Then, if you don't like the results, or want to try the yellow, then get a couple of pieces of Lamin-X protection film and put it over your lenses. I have yet to do it on my car, but will soon. I have done this before on other cars and it works great. Not only does it provide the color, but the film actually protects the lens of the fog light.

#9 ·
If you want to go bright, you should consider just going HIDs for your fogs. Even if you invest a lot of money into the bright LEDs, it wouldn't be a match to 35w, 55w HIDs. However, since the wattage is really low on our stock bulb and the fog housing itself is really small if you were to put higher wattage like the 35w the heat might create a problem for the housing itself and the wire.

#12 ·
HID's on the fog lights are not an issue. I had them installed previously on a venza for four years and later on a camry for three years never had any issues only other people complaining of blinding them.
I'm very happy with the lasfit kit on the fogs that ordered a matching set for the Dlr's/lo/hi beam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
If you anticipate driving through fog keep the halogens. LEDs are too narrow spectrum and at the wrong wavelength to "cut" through fog. The light will readily scatter and you will end up with a bright spot right in front of your windshield.

If you don't plan on seeing any fog and just want them to look nice do the LEDs. Drop in wiring and they will last forever... almost.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Yup! Second that too.
I did want to go LEDs on my fog lights, but there are times that fog gets thick around here, and besides, I hardly use the fog lights in normal weather conditions.
So I decided to keep the halogen bulbs for foggy days or crazy rainy days. And we do get a lot of crazy rainy days!

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

#16 ·
Having a hard time getting a matching pair of headlights and fog lights in LED of the same color temp. The link posted on page 1 looks good and actually very cheap. Have any idea if they will work for a 2014?

I call one place they say the leds will not work for the DRLs that I would have to use them as a high beam only which I was not thrilled with. So hopefully the ones in the link will work for my year. Didn't realize that it was this difficult to get bulbs, I thought lowering mine was going to be the hard part but that was easier! Unless I am over thinking this and the people I have talked to on the phone don't know what they are talking about!

Thanks

#20 ·
My friend bought this for his fogs, it's not like the switchback led where the color changes when it blinks. Once you turn the fog on, it turns on Yellow (3000k) and then once you turn it off and on again it turns on white (5-6000k). And we tested it, and while you have the fogs on white, and then turn on your high beam and when the fog turns off and back on again it turns on yellow. And there are other LED products that also has dual color LED for low/high-beam but this one is different.

Like the other non-expensive LEDs out there, it's not as bright as the HIDs BUT, if you want it for the look, this is a good product. Also in the fogs, it does help you see better with the yellow.

I've also seen APP enabled color changing LEDs which goes for like $90 and up but haven't seen it in person so I can't say anything about it.

This is the product that my friend got, AMAZON LINK
I wish I knew this earlier before I bought the JDM ASTAR one, if my current LED fog dies or something I'm thinking of switching it to this one for the two color look.

#22 ·
I'm looking for the best yellow for light replacement. I agree that the white looks good but with heavy snow at night with no street lights, the LED headlights reflect off the falling snow and the factory fog lights help me see about 2 feet in front of me.

The headlights need to be on in order for the fog lights to come one. The LED headlights seem to really over power the slight amber factory fog lights. I'm really looking for definitive solution as there's heavy snow falls here in the winter. Not so much fog.

Thanks.

#24 ·
I decided to change my fog LED again from Stock -> JDM Astar -> and to this dual color LED bulbs I picked up from AMAZON (Link here). Definitely brighter than the JDM Astar, and you could really see both 6000k white & yellow 3000k color along with the stock LED headlight.

1. My garage was a bit bright, but I believe this image is very close to what you actually see in actual life. It's not photoshopped, or color is manipulated, image was shot very close to the true color/brightness.
[

2. This is when the white is turned on as default.

3. This is the new LED bulb on the left, and the old JDM Astar one on the right.

4. This is just comparing the bulbs, from the top: New Bulb, JDM Astar, Stock Halogen

#28 ·
I decided to change my fog LED again from Stock -> JDM Astar -> and to this dual color LED

2. This is when the white is turned on as default.

4. This is just comparing the bulbs, from the top: New Bulb, JDM Astar, Stock Halogen

This looks super cool and practical. When you say "on as default"...I am not understanding the colour change from yellow to white.
Do they run all the time now white? Then when you turn the fog light switch on they turn yellow?
Never mind, just keep reading the link. Seems you just turn them on and then off and they switch.

#34 ·
Received order (H11"s) And took me about 45 min to install. Had to keep getting up to get things.
Hint: on the 2017's unplug the Fog light bulb before trying to remove them. If I had used a flashlight to see with I would have know this. :)
Keep all of your tools and the new bulbs in reach, otherwise you half to get up and get them. :)

Love the new bulbs..
Thanks everyone for the information.
KenK

#35 ·
Since I have an LE mine did not come with any fog lights. I ended up ordering the Auer kit with LED fog lights. Probably not the cheapest route but since they supply Toyota with a lot of their oem led lights, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I really like them and they are definitely bright enough. As mentioned before, functionally yellow is better but the LED looks way better. The kit comes with the chrome surround fog light molding so I hunted down some SE ones, which are painted black instead of chrome, and I feel looks way better.

#39 ·
Yea, every time you turn on/off the hi-beam it switches back. Sometimes the colors on each side doesn't synchronize well together, so you get different color on each side. If that happens, you just have to turn it off for like 3-5 mins and it will reset to white on both side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.