2013 Spare tire - Page 4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink How to make Toyota put the spare on the back again

The thought occurs to me that there is a way to make Toyota put the spare tire on the back (where it belongs for a RAV4) again, as part of their regular design.

Here's how:

Lobby Honda and get them to put it back on the rear of the CR-V, where it used to be. Then "clone the CR-V" Toyota would have no choice, as that's what a Follower does.

(Sadly, in reality that's probably the only way it could happen. The leader has to do it first, apparently.)

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 02-11-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm actually very happy the door mounted full-size spare tire has been removed. I was going to cross off the 2013 rav4 if it still had the old tire (or run-flats).

IMHO, it was an outdated eyesore and unnecessary but I understand change is difficult =)

Maybe someone can find a way to mount the spare under the car to recover some storage?? You could always leave it out and just pack a fix-a-flat can and a AAA card.
#33 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:03 AM

The spare could be put on the hatch if hydraulics were used to lift and a safety pin used. No, it would not need to warm up or build pressure as one commenter stated. Convertibles and competitors with power hatches use the same systems. The problem is the expense of the system vs the sales. The more likely thing will be no spare at all like some other builders are doing. A can of Fix-A-Flat and a small compressor or run flat tires.

I also doubt seriously that one could tell if the spare tire was removed by a change in driving characteristics. Sounds more like a placebo effect to me.

I personally am a big fan of the side hinged door. That is why I scurried to by one of the last ones when I learned they were being replaced in 2013. Well that and the V6.

I like being able to slightly open the door and reach in and grab the dogs collar without them being able to get out. Then attach the leash and it is only a big step to the ground for them. This is not possible with a hatch and the cargo deck height is usually much higher.

Not having to bend over under the hatch when loading cargo is a plus.

Being able to shut the door with my elbow, knee or butt while my hands are full is also plus.

I've only very rarely had an issue with wind closing the door and never have had a problem of not being able to open it because of someone parking close.

There are many hatchbacks out there to choose from but the day of the side hinge is now gone. I guess a hatch back is good for sitting under when tailgating at the game.
#34 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
I'm actually very happy the door mounted full-size spare tire has been removed. I was going to cross off the 2013 rav4 if it still had the old tire (or run-flats).

IMHO, it was an outdated eyesore and unnecessary but I understand change is difficult =)

Maybe someone can find a way to mount the spare under the car to recover some storage?? You could always leave it out and just pack a fix-a-flat can and a AAA card.

Please don't think I'm resistant to change for the sake of being resistant to change. For me, in this case it isn't that "change is difficult." It's that change for the functionally worse is difficult.

There are many reasons why having the 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 design for the spare tire is functionally better than the 4.4 design. (Seriously...see this thread: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/104-...rear-door.html). Yes, there are some good things about the lift gate design to be sure, but I believe there are significantly more good and useful things the 4.3 swing gate design had to offer.

I'm totally in favor of change, as long as it's clearly change for the better. As I mentioned in other threads, I would *love* to have seen many of the excellent changes/improvements done to the fourth gen RAV4 done to the third gen design instead as the new fourth gen. But not this change. Also as I've previously said, "If I had wanted a Honda CR-V, I would have bought a Honda CR-V."

What bugs me the most about this situation is that while I understand Toyota is doing what most people want, as near as I can tell the reason most people want the spare tire under the rear floor and off the rear door is because "it's ugly on the rear door."

Wow...seriously? Being an engineer, any time people put form and "pretty" over functionally useful drives me nuts, especially on something like a mechanical device. How can that possibly be the priority? Right about now I would love to quote Robert Heinlein, but I don't want to offend anyone.

I didn't buy the 4.3 RAV4 because it was "pretty." I bought it because it was useful and extremely versatile while still being small, easy to maneuver/park, and got better fuel economy than other useful and versatile choices. The RAV4 has lost a huge amount of versatility in going from the third gen to the fourth gen, mostly - but not entirely - because of this change and because of the loss of the V6 engine option.

The RAV4 went from being a small SUV to just another car.

And actually, you can't use fix-a-flat on a RAV4 because that stuff ruins the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) sensors in the wheels.

Ooops...there I go being functional and practical again. Sorry about that. Force of habit.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 02-15-2013 at 09:56 AM.
#35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 AM

how much has the design changed? would you be able to put a 2012 door on a 2013? one of the reasons we got the rav 4 was because of the spare on the door. also the v6 which is gone in the 2012
#36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
no way, the design is completely changed. You cannot just switch doors.
First it is now a liftgate. Second the size itself is different.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Gary Hoey" - Ho! Ho! Hoey: The Complete Collection (Chistmas Music with a rocking twist )
#37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM

they changed it to a lift gate too? wow die they ever mess up with the 2013 design... 3 reasons we got a rav 4, v6, tire on door, door hinged on side
#38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to ronbo1313 Send a message via Yahoo to ronbo1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
According to the specs I read, the 2013 RAV4 actually weighed in at 75 lbs MORE than the 2012.
Found the web site where the weigh reduction figure is given, which seems high.
"The 2013 RAV4 looses 470lbs for 2013." last line in EXTERIOR

link: Review: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium Take Two (Video) | The Truth About Cars

Escape looks like a nice vehicle.
#39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,201 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1313 View Post
Found the web site where the weigh reduction figure is given, which seems high.
"The 2013 RAV4 looses 470lbs for 2013." last line in EXTERIOR

link: Review: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium Take Two (Video) | The Truth About Cars

Escape looks like a nice vehicle.
According to these documents from TOYOTA, the 2013 2WD RAV4 weighs in at 75 lbs. MORE than the 2012, while the 4WD gains 56 lbs.:

Introduction to the 2013 RAV4: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4

Who you gonna believe?

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#40 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
I love the spare on the rear hatch.
I too love the spare tire on the back as it gives me some very usable space under the floor to carry things like a tow rope, jumper cables, extra clothes and some wrenches too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page