Tow Hitch - Page 38 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #371 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrobins View Post
I posted some weeks ago about being Canadian and having a hitch and wiring harness installed by Sun Toyota in Clearwater Florida, Dec 2014.

They installed a 2" hitch part # 00016-42027 and wiring harness part # 00016-42037.

Both these part #'s are included in Toyota's TIS system but it appears they apply only the Southeast Toyota Distributors for Southeast USA. I am quite sure they are Curt hitch parts.

I immediately had trouble with no power at the 4 pin plug at the rear bumper and returned to Sun Toyota Jan 14, 2014 to be told the harness electronic module was defective and they would order a replacement part.

I subscribe to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (free) and get notices for all Toyota's.

Recall Notification by Email | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

They have issued a recall for the harness and are replacing the simple installation with a much more complicated but OEM wiring harness part # PU322-42013-UW.

I've call Toyota a number of times and no one knows anything as of Feb 26, 2014. Meanwhile I've no trailer lights since Dec 2014.

FYI
I think I have the same wire harness you have but I haven't had time to install it yet. I got it off ebay it was sold by Toyota dealers in the southeast, I don't have the part number in front of me. I am wondering if I should bother installing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Bender View Post
Why is it that every time I come to the 4.4 forums looking for info this sort of douchebaggery is still going on and being tolerated?

Are the 4.3 forums really that slow?
No kidding man if I have noticed the same thing!

2015 Magnetic Gray Metallic LE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #372 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Why is it that every time I come to the 4.4 forums looking for info this sort of douchebaggery is still going on and being tolerated?

Sorry that I apparently offended you. I don't believe that's my reputation here. Was meant in jest totally.
post #373 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just installed a Curt 13149. i had to spread it a little to get the holes to line up . not to hard but the hitch it tight against the plastic bumpert cover should i shim it down with 4 washers or just let it be tight?

post #374 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisabiker View Post
I just installed a Curt 13149. i had to spread it a little to get the holes to line up . not to hard but the hitch it tight against the plastic bumpert cover should i shim it down with 4 washers or just let it be tight?
There are a lot of smarter people than I on this forum and I'm not a structure engineer, but I would prefer no spacers so that the hitch can fit flush to the frame. This I think would help keep hitch flex to a minimum and who cares if the plastic is tight.
Wait to see what others have to say.
Frank

2013 RAV4 XLE FWD Barcelona Red Metallic

Previous 2005 Sienna XLE FWD
post #375 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisabiker View Post

Do you have any pictures of the hitch installed? I installed the exact same one that I got off of Amazon and I don't have any rubbing problems. I also didn't have any problems with the holes lining up during install. Are you sure you got the correct model?
post #376 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 AM

i don't really think there is a clearance problem but your saying yours isn't tight to the bumber cover. i ran my wiring along the hitch tube and i couldn't get a zip tie between the hitch tube and the bumper cover.
post #377 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 PM
R4W Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Seriously? It read like a dig on Toyota for pulling the V6 out of the RAV4. If that's what passes for "douchebaggery", then... Wow.

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!
The Following User Says Thank You to karrock For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (03-20-2015)
post #378 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrock View Post
Seriously? It read like a dig on Toyota for pulling the V6 out of the RAV4. If that's what passes for "douchebaggery", then... Wow.
It may have served that purpose the first hundred or so times it was posted, like over 2 years ago. Now it has just gotten stale, tiresome, boring, whiny and yes, douchebaggish. Especially given that in this instance it was as a bad attempt at humor to deflect attention from the bad tech info/advice that was offered.

At this time, approaching 3 years into the 4.4 model, what point does it serve? I think we are all pretty well aware both that the 4.4 doesn't have a V6 option and that some 4.3 owners are really unhappy about it. I doubt anyone from Toyota is reading a random thread about tow hitches for the 4.4 and even if they were that such snarkiness would cause them to experience a sudden epiphany regarding the supposed foolishness of daring to discontinue the optional V6.

At this point, that sort of behavior in the tech forums is only divisive and alienating. It serves no positive purpose here. If you don't want a 4.4 in all of its 4 cylinder horridness, why even visit the 4.4 tech forums?

If you guys are still that upset, go send Toyota some hate mail or something. Otherwise, why not leave the 4.4 forums alone? Do the site owners and moderators not want 4.4 owners to feel welcome here?

That is way more than I would have hoped to have written on the subject, but the behavior has gotten pretty old. I would have hoped that I could research some info about installing a hitch on our RAV4 without being subjected to it. But since some people can't let it go, here we are.

2014 Limited AWD, Classic Silver, Premium JBL, Tech package
2005 Nissan Maxima SE, 3.5, 5AT
1997 Dodge Ram 2500, Club Cab, 4WD, Cummins 6BT, 5 speed manual
1982 Jeep CJ8, 4 cylinders, 4 speed, 4 wheel drive
1966 EMD GP40, 16-645, 3,000hp, AWD, RCL package
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iron Bender For This Useful Post:
agstone2 (03-25-2015), cosmo64 (03-27-2015)
post #379 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Garage
Well said.

2013 RAV4 Limited Magnetic Grey/TerraCotta
2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 ABS
2010 Piggio Fly 150
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(bobber)
post #380 of 480 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,347 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmm...."douchebaggery", is that a real word? I wish I could use it in Scrabble!

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page