Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tow Hitch

258K views 525 replies 126 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 ·
FYI: The current hitches available for 4.3 and earlier model RAV's will NOT fit the '13 RAV. I have a Hidden Hitch Class 1 model 60808 on my '11 LTD. I was hoping to transfer it to my new RAV. Hidden Hitch did not have a model listed for the '13 RAV on their website, so I contacted them.
Here's their reply, verbatim:

"The 2013 RAV4 is a new build. The hitch and wiring are completely different. A hitch and wiring are being designed but are not available at this time. I do not have a projected date yet"

#2 ·
Not surprising since the aftermarket doesn't get advanced "copies."

#3 ·
The size of the chassis (body) didn't changed much, I wonder if someone could try to install one from the 4.3 Gen to the new body style and report. I just installed a step/tubes from the previous version and it worked.

#4 ·
The size of the chassis (body) didn't changed much, I wonder if someone could try to install one from the 4.3 Gen to the new body style and report.
I looked under the 4.3 and 4.4 rear bumpers. They are indeed very different. The 4.3 has hitch holes predrilled in the outer flanges of the frame. The 4.4 has no such flanges attached to its frame. From the picture of the Toyota OEM 2013 hitch on the RAV4 Accessories page of Toyota's website, the hitch for the '13 is very complicated with its own bolt-on external flanges and mounting tabs. The 4.3 hitch was a 15 minute installation with just a few nuts, bolts, and washers. This new hitch has 10 metal brackets that need separate attachment to the frame and 75 pieces of nuts, bolts, and washers. Ouch!
Looks like a Thule roof bike rack for me.

#7 ·
And the price for the hitch and installation as well - another Ouch! It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket contingent come up with, if anything. The Toyota hitch electrical connection situation is much improved, but the hitch and installation plus the lack of a V6 . . ..now even more I have no plans to replace my '11 with a '13!

#8 ·
On the Toyota USA web site, if you go to actually "build" a RAV4 they only show options for paint protection, roof rack cross bars, body side moldings, mud guards and running boards.

They don't mention the trailer hitch anywhere.

However, they do allow you to submit a "chat" request and I asked the representative what the regular, MSRP price was to have a dealer add an OEM trailer hitch to a 2013 RAV4 and they said you have to call your dealer and ask because "each dealer is independently owned & operated, so pricing may vary."

I read that as: I don't know.

So apparently you have to call your dealer to find out at least what the OEM pricing would be.

One would think if it's $1,385.00 in Canada it'll be at least around $1,000.00 in the US for the OEM hitch.

#9 ·
The $1248.60 price quoted on Toyota Canada's website is an MSRP for the installed hitch. It is certainly negotiable, like any other installed Toyota accessory. Labor rates are different all over your and my countries. I'm sure in New York City or downtown Toronto, one would pay more for an installed hitch than in, say, Fort Stockton, Texas or Climax, Saskatchewan. (There really is such a place)

#15 ·
Aftermarket hitches

Hopefully there will be options soon, I'm looking too for using the hitch as a bike mount, not for towing really. U-haul lists hitch# 78432 as fitting the 2013...BUT a quick search on a 2012 rav4 produces the same part number. SO I'm assuming its wrong. I don't have my Rav yet, I will in about a month or so and I'm hoping by summer Hidden Hitch, DrawTite, U-haul...anybody, has something figured out by then. That post about the Canadian hitch option makes me want to cry...that is the most convoluted and insane hitch kit I've ever seen. Not sure the Canadian version would change that much vs the US but if that's the kit then my stuff is going on the roof for sure.

#16 ·
U-haul lists hitch# 78432 as fitting the 2013...BUT a quick search on a 2012 rav4 produces the same part number. SO I'm assuming its wrong.
Unless the hitch from the 4.3 Gen will work on it. Somebody please try one and let us know! Or I may just try one from Cragslist (4.3 Gen) and post results.

#34 ·
I emailed Hidden Hitch this morning, attached is a picture of their response. There was not a name of who replied, but it came from their Tech support group. SO...Who is going to be the first one to order one and try it out!?!:thumbs_up:
The installation manual has been updated with a Note Specifically for the 2013 model year...This looks very promising!!:)

Attachments

#35 ·
I assume we have a communication misunderstanding, between me, Hidden Hitch, and you. I had asked Hidden Hitch if specifically the Class 1 #60808 Hidden Hitch mounted on my '11 RAV would fit the '13. They told me emphatically that it would not. Now they tell you that their Hidden Hitch that is Class 3/4 will. In looking at the exploded diagram and mounting instructions, I can see how it will, but on examining a '13 RAV, I saw no sign of any pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the frame rail. That's crazy overkill to mount a Class 3/4 when the RAV can only tow a Class 1 rating, but if that's the only hitch that will fit, then I guess so be it. I'll wait this one out until you or someone else finds a hitch that will fit and mounts it. Keep reporting back on your mission. Will you be mounting it yourself?

#36 ·
I do indeed plan to mount it myself...but do not have said Rav to mount it on yet. Good chance someone else will beat me to it. However once I have a date on taking delivery of the Rav, I'll have the hitch on order soon after.
You said you didn't see any holes for the hitch to bolt to in your frame though and that could be a problem. They do mention removing a tow bracket, are your holes under that? Also, I know other mfr's will have their tapped holes plugged under the chassis so that they aren't full of rust and junk by the time the owner goes to mount something in it.

I agree that class is way overkill, BUT I prefer to use 2" receiver type bike racks. They just seem sturdier and less likely to have any issues going over bumpy terrain on the way to a trail head. There are some 1.25" ones that use an adapter to bump up to 2"...don't like those at all. Also, check the specs, I believe Draw-tite or Hidden Hitch offer a hitch that will accept the threaded types of pins for a more secure connection.

#37 ·
I should be getting my RAV early next week. When I looked under a '13 RAV last week on the dealer's lot, there was lots of snow and ice on the ground (there still is) and I didn't exactly get on my back and slither underneath. I'll have a much better look underneath in my garage with my floor jack, and I'll get back to you on the frame rail pre-drilled hole details.

#38 ·
Sorry, big addendum needed to my previous post. In looking back at the bill for installing the Hidden Hitch Class 1 60808, that was not for my '11 RAV, but for my previous '08 Cobalt.
Sorry, my bad.
I don't know what model number Hidden Hitch is on the '11 RAV, as the dealer installed it at time of purchase. I'll phone the company that installed the Cobalt hitch. They do nothing but trailer hitches and wiring, and are very good. They'll know what fits the '13 RAV.

#39 ·
Just talked to the hitch installers, and as luck would have it, he had just been on the phone this morning to Hidden Hitch about the '13 RAV. Hidden Hitch says the 70785 Class 3/4 will definitely fit the '13 RAV. However, there is a good possibility that the 90207 Class 2 will fit. He said it would take about 1/2 hour to install and the installed price is $260, with no wiring. That's a far cry from the almost $1300 that Toyota wants for the installation of their hitch, with wiring of course. I know you're in the same boat as me, no wiring needed for a bike rack, but the guy did say the wiring for the '13 RAV is totally different, and he was very unsure of the cost and complexity. He did say the earlier RAV's needed extensive wiring back to the battery for their trailer plugs.
I'll likely try to get the 90207 installed within the next few weeks. They also said if the 90207 won't fit, they won't charge me for any of their time.

#40 ·
Here is the response from Tech support today when asking about the 90207:

"The 2013 RAV4 is a redesigned vehicle and so the 2012 and older hitches will NOT fit it. At this point, we are offering only 2” receivers as they are more versatile than 1 ¼” receivers.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group

Cequent Performance Products"

That's really cool of them to try out the 90207 for you and not charge if they can't make it work. I thought I was good with a 2" hitch, but it looks like most all the racks I'm looking at will use a plastic adapter to drop down to 1.25" and there are a lot of people that say they rattle a bit with the adapters. Maybe look for a steel adapter thought that may push the rack out farther from the back bumper increasing the moment load on the hitch.

All this makes me very curious as to if you 90207 ends up fitting. Keeping my fingers crossed!:mrgreen:

#41 ·
Just picked up our new 2013 RAV XLE with AWD on Thursday. I too am looking for a hitch. UHaul hitch #78432 is the same hitch with the same updated directions as Hidden Hitch and Drawtite and the cost is under $159 installed. I would prefer the smaller Class II hitch and I noticed that the 90207 hitch is essentially the same as the 2 inch ones updated for the 2013 RAV. I guess I am wondering why the updated instructions would not work with the 90207 hitch? Currently I have emailed Hidden Hitch and Drawtite to try and get an answer. UHaul does not carry a Class II option for the RAV.

#42 ·
Read post 39 by bigbird and the one after it. We've been talking about this same exact subject. I've already talked to them and they say no go. Big bird is going to go to an installer and try the class II to see if it fits. You could wait for him to report back or go for it and let us know.

#44 · (Edited)
OK, here is the deal guys. I purchased both the Class II and Class III hitches to see what works best. The Drawtite 36490 which is the same as Hidden Hitch 90207 would not fit without modifications I chose not to do. The little rod by the muffler they mention is the updated directions that were posted here acts as a damper to prevent muffler vibrations. The directions say to reposition or remove. DO NOT remove it!! We tried that and there was vibration. Have it repositioned so that it faces towards the front of the car. For the Class II to work the rod needed to be removed and I'm not buying a new car to have it rattle. I'm not saying that a way couldn't be found, but I did not do the install, but paid to have it done. The Class III hitch works fine if you reposition the rod. Just my experience and wanted to pass it on. Two different professionals told me the same thing about the Class II hitch, so I went with the sure thing in the Class III--even though its overkill. Returned the Class II for a full refund and am now waiting for biking weather. Good luck to all in your hitch quest.

#45 ·
Bummer to hear the Class II was a no go for you. Any chance of posting some pics? The small picture in the directions is hard to tell exactly where they want you to "re-position" it to. That and I don't have mine to look at yet...2 weeks...I hope! I too would not want a rattling muffler on a new car or any car for that matter. That's not bad for an installed price, was it at a hitch shop or at an actual Uhaul location?

#47 ·
I'll be honest, I don't get all of the drama and hysteria in this thread.

When doing the deal for our new LTD, I told our salesman I wanted a receiver hitch (at his cost) so my wife could use a hitch mounted bike rack. He made a call to the local hitch place. They quoted $244 for a hitch with a 2" receiver and it was added into the deal. That was last Friday afternoon.

Today, we picked up the car and there was a shiny, black Hidden Hitch on the back.

No muss, no fuss. My advice, don't get your panties in a bunch. It will all work out.

#52 ·
:shrug:Drama and Hysteria? LOL, I'd love to see what you think of the threads where people keep trying to convince 4.3's why the 4.4 is so much better and back again...now that's a place that could use some sarcasm.

I'm glad you ended up with a dealer that could take care of it for you. 2 Dealers I spoke with said if it wasn't on the Toyota website as an option, they couldn't do it. Maybe liability, maybe incompetence...not sure. I asked one about taking it to a hitch shop and having it done and he just basically said I could go do that too. So I dropped it.

If you follow this thread back you'll see that Hidden Hitch was giving conflicting info at first to several of us that had contacted them directly.

In the end you'll have a hitch and so will the others of us that either have them installed for less than the dealer or do it ourselves.

Oh...and I haven't worn panties in a long time, and My advice: the trick to not letting them bunch up is to just wear the thong. Have a great day :thumbs_up:

#53 ·
I thought the same thing, but took it to my Toyota dealer and they said that it just adds a little weight to prevent subtle vibrations. All I know is when it was totally removed there was a "tinny" sound from the muffler that totally disappeared when it was reinstalled. Guess those engineers know what they're doing.

#56 ·
This just in.....

I crawled under the rear of the new 4.4 tonight in the cold and dark (someone had to man up and do it) and found 2 interesting things.

For those who missed my post above, the dealer called a local hitch place and they quoted $244 for a Hidden Hitch to fit the '13 RAV. We asked for a bike rack hitch, which basically means the hitch without any wiring harness. The dealership took it over on Monday and had it back in a jiffy.

There was a factory part number, including bar code that was covered up with a piece of tape. It had a hand written number on the tape that was 51157.

I peeled of the tape and underneath was the part number............ 70785. This is the hitch that accepts a 2" hitch/ball mount.

So, there you go, folks. Unbunch your panties and get to work. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays $1000++ for a Toyota hitch has more money than brains.

Over and out.

Randy

#57 ·
I crawled under the rear of the new 4.4 tonight in the cold and dark (someone had to man up and do it) and found 2 interesting things.

For those who missed my post above, the dealer called a local hitch place and they quoted $244 for a Hidden Hitch to fit the '13 RAV. We asked for a bike rack hitch, which basically means the hitch without any wiring harness. The dealership took it over on Monday and had it back in a jiffy.

There was a factory part number, including bar code that was covered up with a piece of tape. It had a hand written number on the tape that was 51157.

I peeled of the tape and underneath was the part number............ 70785. This is the hitch that accepts a 2" hitch/ball mount.

So, there you go, folks. Unbunch your panties and get to work. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who pays $1000++ for a Toyota hitch has more money than brains.

Over and out.

Randy
Oh wow, you sir are very funny. I'm glad you think you did so well for yourself in demanding the hitch at dealer cost, you only over paid by just shy of $100. Good job, you should have a cookie, or beer, or whatever lil treat you like.

Just in case you missed it, the 1k hitch was something from Toyota Canada, no one who has read this thread will even consider that hitch.

Also, I don't understand your obsession with bunched up panties... I'm sure there are forums out there that would be willing to help or indulge you. I think with my extra $100 I'll get the mud guards, or heck anything else I feel like not over paying for.

Over and out? You can post from your walkie talkie? That's amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.