Tow Hitch - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tow Hitch

FYI: The current hitches available for 4.3 and earlier model RAV's will NOT fit the '13 RAV. I have a Hidden Hitch Class 1 model 60808 on my '11 LTD. I was hoping to transfer it to my new RAV. Hidden Hitch did not have a model listed for the '13 RAV on their website, so I contacted them.
Here's their reply, verbatim:

"The 2013 RAV4 is a new build. The hitch and wiring are completely different. A hitch and wiring are being designed but are not available at this time. I do not have a projected date yet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Not surprising since the aftermarket doesn't get advanced "copies."

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
post #3 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1 View Post
FYI: The current hitches available for 4.3 and earlier model RAV's will NOT fit the '13 RAV. I have a Hidden Hitch Class 1 model 60808 on my '11 LTD. I was hoping to transfer it to my new RAV. Hidden Hitch did not have a model listed for the '13 RAV on their website, so I contacted them.
Here's their reply, verbatim:

"The 2013 RAV4 is a new build. The hitch and wiring are completely different. A hitch and wiring are being designed but are not available at this time. I do not have a projected date yet"
The size of the chassis (body) didn't changed much, I wonder if someone could try to install one from the 4.3 Gen to the new body style and report. I just installed a step/tubes from the previous version and it worked.

SILVERBOY

CHICKS DON’T DIG DEAD GUYS

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!

post #4 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
The size of the chassis (body) didn't changed much, I wonder if someone could try to install one from the 4.3 Gen to the new body style and report.
I looked under the 4.3 and 4.4 rear bumpers. They are indeed very different. The 4.3 has hitch holes predrilled in the outer flanges of the frame. The 4.4 has no such flanges attached to its frame. From the picture of the Toyota OEM 2013 hitch on the RAV4 Accessories page of Toyota's website, the hitch for the '13 is very complicated with its own bolt-on external flanges and mounting tabs. The 4.3 hitch was a 15 minute installation with just a few nuts, bolts, and washers. This new hitch has 10 metal brackets that need separate attachment to the frame and 75 pieces of nuts, bolts, and washers. Ouch!
Looks like a Thule roof bike rack for me.

2013 XLE AWD white
post #5 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I looked under the 4.3 and 4.4 rear bumpers. They are indeed very different. The 4.3 has hitch holes predrilled in the outer flanges of the frame. The 4.4 has no such flanges attached to its frame. From the picture of the Toyota OEM 2013 hitch on the RAV4 Accessories page of Toyota's website, the hitch for the '13 is very complicated with its own bolt-on external flanges and mounting tabs. The 4.3 hitch was a 15 minute installation with just a few nuts, bolts, and washers. This new hitch has 10 metal brackets that need separate attachment to the frame and 75 pieces of nuts, bolts, and washers. Ouch!
Looks like a Thule roof bike rack for me.
Big, you got the link for that info, I'll love to take a look at it. Or upload pictures of it please. I searched for ten minutes and couldn't find it. Thanks

SILVERBOY

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
post #6 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
Big, you got the link for that info, I'll love to take a look at it. Or upload pictures of it please. I searched for ten minutes and couldn't find it. Thanks
Coming right up. Click on the picture of the tow hitch in the "Exterior Accessories" area.

http://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehic...ng/accessories

2013 XLE AWD white
post #7 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
And the price for the hitch and installation as well - another Ouch! It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket contingent come up with, if anything. The Toyota hitch electrical connection situation is much improved, but the hitch and installation plus the lack of a V6 . . ..now even more I have no plans to replace my '11 with a '13!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
On the Toyota USA web site, if you go to actually "build" a RAV4 they only show options for paint protection, roof rack cross bars, body side moldings, mud guards and running boards.

They don't mention the trailer hitch anywhere.

However, they do allow you to submit a "chat" request and I asked the representative what the regular, MSRP price was to have a dealer add an OEM trailer hitch to a 2013 RAV4 and they said you have to call your dealer and ask because "each dealer is independently owned & operated, so pricing may vary."

I read that as: I don't know.

So apparently you have to call your dealer to find out at least what the OEM pricing would be.

One would think if it's $1,385.00 in Canada it'll be at least around $1,000.00 in the US for the OEM hitch.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep (3500 lbs towing capacity!), OEM Hitch, Remote Start and Dashcam.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Best. Vehicle. Ever.
post #9 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
The $1248.60 price quoted on Toyota Canada's website is an MSRP for the installed hitch. It is certainly negotiable, like any other installed Toyota accessory. Labor rates are different all over your and my countries. I'm sure in New York City or downtown Toronto, one would pay more for an installed hitch than in, say, Fort Stockton, Texas or Climax, Saskatchewan. (There really is such a place)

2013 XLE AWD white
post #10 of 493 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Coming right up. Click on the picture of the tow hitch in the "Exterior Accessories" area.

TOYOTA CANADA: TOYOTA.CA LANGUAGE
Thanks for the info.

It looks more complicated that what it needs to be, the reason I assumed is because Toyota needs to make sure it is bolted up to the wazzu (liability).

I'm guessing it would be good to tow either 1500 or 2000 Lbs.

In a second note, I'm not a professional installer but I'm very handy, just looked under my Rav4 and I seen the treads for the bolts. Very similar to my 2010 Rav4 V6 Sport model. I installed that hitch in less than 25 minutes.

The only issue I see is that in the middle under the bumper, it is a part for the Rav4 to be jack up. I seen that part last night while reading the manual.

Again, I'M NOT an installer, just personal observations. I wouldn't be surprised if a hitch from a 4.3 gen will work, just my opinion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.2 KB, 323 views)

SILVERBOY

BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to silverboy For This Useful Post:
turbogar (04-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page