Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

10,000 mile oil change interval? Even for 1st oil change?

147K views 158 replies 58 participants last post by  ravster2015 
#1 ·
hello--

we have a 2013 RAV4 Limited. I was surprised when our dealer said that the oil change interval was 10,000 miles. I may be mistaken, but I always thought that the first oil change should happen fairly quickly, because of all of the metal shavings, etc., that can accumulate when a brand new car is commissioned. Now, that may be total malarkey, but I did that with our 2002 Camry and it didn't seem to hurt anything, and she is still going very strong after 140,000 miles.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Does my notion of swapping out the first batch of oil at around 1,000 miles make any sense?

2. Beyond that, are you all going to absolutely adhere to the 10,000 oil change intervals? That seems awfully long to me, but then again I am sure that the technology is much improved since I started driving 35 years ago. :)

#2 ·
I plan to change out my oil at around 1 000 miles (1 600 km for us). I agree with you. There has to be remnants of machining and assembly lube floating around in the oil.

I won't go 10 000 miles (16 000 km) between changes. I'll likely change it 2 times/year, regardless of mileage. I live in an extreme climate with short but hot summers and very long cold winters.

I do all my own maintenance, so it isn't a big deal for me. Genuine Toyota cartridge oil filters are $3 each on eBay, and the required 0W-20 synthetic is now sold just about everywhere and often on sale.

#3 ·
There was another thread here recently about this topic. There were various opinions.

In the end, it's not hurting anything to get your oil changed early. My dealer is saying every 5000mi. is appropriate.

I just had my first oil change at 3500 miles after reading the other thread so if anything happened to be floating around or in the oil filter, it's gone.

It's cheap to do and you can breathe easier about it all.

#4 ·
Old habits are hard to break........major advances in oil technology, super tight tolerances on engines (not all the slop and wear of the old days), very efficient cooling systems, and low revving <6-speed> engines, make frequent oil changes unnecessary.

My Goldwing motorcycle (Gl1800) has come with an 8K mile oil change interval since 2001. There are Wings out there with 350K miles on them with zero issues other than normal maintenance.

Call me a fool but I'm following the manual and going 10K oil changes.
Will I regret it in a few years? Time will tell but I highly doubt it.
I will use 100% synthetic though.

Engine failures due to oil issues are very very rare now days.

Bottom line.....Do what makes you feel good.
More fequent oil changes sure won't hurt anything but are probably not necessary IMHO.

#8 ·
Old habits are hard to break........major advances in oil technology, super tight tolerances on engines (not all the slop and wear of the old days), very efficient cooling systems, and low revving <6-speed> engines, make frequent oil changes unnecessary.

My Goldwing motorcycle (Gl1800) has come with an 8K mile oil change interval since 2001. There are Wings out there with 350K miles on them with zero issues other than normal maintenance.

Call me a fool but I'm following the manual and going 10K oil changes.
Will I regret it in a few years? Time will tell but I highly doubt it.
I will use 100% synthetic though.

Engine failures due to oil issues are very very rare now days.

Bottom line.....Do what makes you feel good.
More fequent oil changes sure won't hurt anything but are probably not necessary IMHO.
I agree with this. The dealer told me every 10,000 miles but the sticker on the windshield says 5,000 so my first will be around 5,000, maybe earlier, but after that, every 10,000.
This is such a controversial topic. I'm still old school, which I'm sure is unnecessary, but I like to see clean oil on my dipstick. Considering oil is the lifeblood of any engine, I don't stretch that blood to its limits. I suppose if I had to pay someone to change my oil and filter, I'd probably be less anal.
Nothing wrong with changing oil early, especially if you do it yourself. So much cheaper to do it yourself.

#7 ·
This is such a controversial topic. I'm still old school, which I'm sure is unnecessary, but I like to see clean oil on my dipstick. Considering oil is the lifeblood of any engine, I don't stretch that blood to its limits. I suppose if I had to pay someone to change my oil and filter, I'd probably be less anal.

#9 ·
Just had my initial 0W-20 synthetic oil change today @ 1750 miles.....OK, this probably isn't needed either but I've always got the factory stuff out of my vehicles before 2K miles. :oops:

From here on out it's 10K intervals which should translate to about every 7-8 months for me.

Wish me luck. ;)

#14 ·
To just go 10K under all driving conditions is questionable. What does the manual say about exceptions or other circumstances? I wouldn't risk it without taking a sample for an oil analysis somewhere between 5-7K to see how much life is remaining in the oil.

#17 ·
5,000 miles or 6 months
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading4:

Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C:

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use:

10,000 miles or 12 months
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:
Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine air filter
Inspect steering linkage and boots Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading4:

#19 ·
I never drive my new RAV4 in any of those conditions..........
I'm going the 10K and not looking back.
Call me a rebel. ;)

I tend to think it's more mind over matter.......hard to break old habits.

Reactions: evmoore
#22 ·
Interesting tidbit I thought I'd share....

The below is from a forum I frequent for my Honda GL1800 Goldwing (1.8L engine).
For those concerned about oil change intervals, read on....

For those unfamiliar, the GoldWing engine is very similar to the Honda Civic engine in many ways.
In fact when I toured the engine plant a few years back in Anna, Ohio they had Goldwing engines alternating on the assembly line with Civic engines.

I ride with this gentleman during the winter months. I find it amazing how many miles he puts on his wing in one season.
The odometer this morning before our ride:

The man and the machine. It's a 2002 with ABS.

According to Phil he has only replaced the alternator and water pump one time. No other semi major maintenance has been required. He is still running the original final drive.
He did tell me it's starting to burn a little oil between the regular 10,000 mile oil changes.
I have to wander how much farther this bike can go before a major break down.

Yes that's 422,366 miles with 10K mile oil changes.....

#23 ·
Depends on what 0-20w your dealer uses also. Toyota's 0-20w is a SUPERB oil. Check out some UOA on Bob's The Oil Guy's site. Blended by Mobil. Very similar to Mobil 05-20w Extended Performance, but 0-20w.

I change out at 7,000 now. The last UOA from Blackstone on the Toyota 0-20w showed it could go another 2,000 easy on the 2010 2.5L. I have 65,000.

So any good 0-20w Syn at 5,000 at the dealer is pocket $$$

If the manual says 10,000 your wasting money at 5,000. But this is just my opinion. Oil changes can be a Religion for some.

Check out Bob's Site. ;)

#24 ·
The last UOA from Blackstone
This isn't the BITOG site.
I know what you're talking about, but I bet 99% of forum members here have no idea what your jargon means.

For those who don't know:
UOA= Used Oil Analysis
Blackstone= Blackstone Laboratories, where you can have your used (or new) oil analyzed for all kinds of information about wear in your engine and the condition of your oil.

#27 ·
As an FYI, and to support the claim that Toyota's synthetic 0W-20 is made by Mobil, today I observed a truck unloading a pallet of Toyota labelled cases of motor oil. The oil was 0w-20 synthetic with all the Toyota logos and part #'s on the cases. The truck dropping it off? Not a freight company, but, you guessed it, Mobil Lubricants.

#32 · (Edited)
Toyota Care Scheduled Factory Maintenance Covers:

• Engine oil and filter
  • Tire rotation
  • Multi-point inspection

*Covers normal factory scheduled service for 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first.
They will cover (2) oil changes and (5) tire rotations/inspections within the 2Yr/25K period.
My dealer told me it doesn't matter when you get them done but it just covers (2) oil changes, period.

I had my oil changed @ 2K miles........they asked if I wanted this oil change free under the Toyota Care and used as 1 of 2 under the plan.
I said no and paid for it myself and will use the (2) free changes at scheduled intervals.

#35 ·
toyotacare service..

It also introduces you to a dealer in the hopes that you'll use them after the 2 years.
The tire rotation has got to be a money maker; many times they have all 4 off to do one of the toyota free multipoint inspections; but if you want them to switch tires front<->rear when they put them back on, it's $20.:eek: I usually to 10k on rotations if I have to pay for it; don't see much difference.
I also ask them to do a cross rotation. LR>RF, RF>RR, RR>LF, LF>LR. But this is my first AWD so not sure if this still applies.

#36 ·
after three years and changing oil every 3333 miles, now at 40,000 miles I'm changing to 5000 OCI for the first time ever. I use syn 5W30 (whatever's on sale, usually super tech) in my 2010 base RAV4 V6 and OEM filter element. I'll do the same OCI on my wife's 2013 camry se v6 - that uses 0W20 and I got mobil1 from walmart. she's got 1400 miles so it'll be a while.

#37 ·
We are currently at 4700 miles and are already getting the flash of maintenance is required. I just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 and first oil change is 10,000 miles. As a matter of fact that manual does not have a specific time for the oil change, all it said was when the oil change light comes on change it or at 10,000 miles.

#39 ·
Mobil 1 extended performance is rated for 15,000 miles. Just enjoy being in the 21st century and stop worrying. These are modern engines 200k miles is the new 100k miles. Unless you do a good bit of severe service conditions your just wasting your money and squandering precious oil and polluting twice as much by changing oil at 5000.

But do use a genuine toyota filter as they are among the best available and a cheap fram filter is not going to be good for 10k.

#40 ·
I just scheduled my 5k service. I told them I wanted the oil changed even if I had to pay for it. The service rep I spoke to didn't seem to have a problem with that.

I was using synthetic in my last car. Had the oil changed and tires rotated every 5k. Plan to do the same thing with this vehicle.

Reactions: ranosbb
#43 ·
Initial wear in engines is in the camshaft lobe area. Assembly lube is used in those areas. It is a high moly (molybdenum) coating. It needs to be there for the first 10 seconds of initial engine operation. After that, it's no longer needed.
Factory fill oils are no different than the oil you buy at the dealer or Walmart. With many modern engines requiring full synthetic oils, including the 2AR-FE in the RAV, the factory fill is that same synthetic required by the manufacturer. In the good old days there was a need for special break-in oils that had to be changed out after the first 1000 miles, but those days are long gone.

#47 ·
I just picked up a new 2013 Rav4 LE last week and I was also told the first oil change is at 10,000 miles. The reason for that is the RAV4s come with synthetic motor oil in them and Toyota is recommending tire rotation every 5,000 miles but oil changes every 10,000 miles.

Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.