Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Fuel pump running when engine off

16K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mikey D. 
#1 ·
I drove my '13 Rav today for about 10 miles and parked it in the garage. Abouot 4-5 hours later I was cleaning out the Camry when I heard a faint hum start by the Rav. I went over, listened around the car and located the sound coming from the fuel pump area (assume it's in the tank). The hum lasted for about 4 minutes and then stopped. I've never heard this before on the Rav or any of my other previous Toyota vehicles.

Is this normal so there is constant pressure in the fuel system? Has anyone else experienced this? FYI - I filled (and topped off) the vehicle yesterday and it has about 25 miles on the full tank of fuel & 1130 miles on the odometer.

#8 ·
Evaporative Emissions self test for fuel system leaks has been on every vehicle produced since OBD-II went into affect in the late 1990's. Some vacuum/pressurization pumps are more noticeable than others, but they all do run this test 5-6 hours after shutdown as long as the fuel tank level is in the correct range. Maybe if your car was always outside, you wouldn't notice it? In a closed garage you can't miss it. That this question is still making news does surprise me a bit, but maybe some have never heard this sound.

#10 ·
And here I always thought it was the flapdoodle thingamajiggy! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.