Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

24/7 Eco Mode harmful?

31K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Fast Eddy 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I had read somewhere that always driving in eco mode can be bad for the engine over time. At first I ignored it, but after that seed was planted, I'm now a bit worried about it.

Parinoia, or could there be negatives to permanent eco mode useage?

#4 ·
That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Eco mode being damaging to the car?? The main thing it does is numb down the throttle response so that the driver is, in effect, using less power from the car for a given movement of the gas peddle. The driver can accomplish the same thing in normal and sport modes too. Eco mode just makes it easier.

I agree with bigbird1, I'd like to read that article but on the surface of it, it sounds totally bogus to me.

#5 ·
Yes, yes, yes - driving continuously in ECO mode can be EXTREMELY dangerous. It may induce death by boredom in passengers and drivers. And it may induce road-rage in drivers behind you.

Starting 2015 Toyota will include the following warning in the Owner's Manual:

"Driving this vehicle continuously in ECO mode in certain urban areas of United States may induce road-rage. Toyota is no responsible for any material losses, bodily injuries or fatalities that may result from ECO-mode induced road-rage."

Toyota has been dispensed from having to include this disclaimer in Canada, though, as Canadian drivers are less prone to road-rage and usually don't carry guns with themselves.

(OK, I was bored. Slow morning)

#7 ·
2014 RAV -4 ECO mode

:laughI just got new 2104 Rav-4 XLE FWD. i had before Chev Equinox 2011 with option to Eco mode..I never used this mode, i did not liked..

We had some news papers articals that all " Auto driving testers" did not liked ECO mode, too slugish...

I will share with you in couple weeks my opinion about RAV 4

#9 ·
I decided after about a month of experimenting with the 3 modes to try only ECO mode. That was last August and I drove almost exclusively in ECO mode all last winter. This spring I decided to switch to SPORT mode and I felt like I was driving a race car. I'm now back to NORMAL mode and am enjoying that mode as well. Maybe it pays to switch modes once in a while to not get blasé about the Rav4.

As far as damage from ECO mode - Nonsense. Where's the proof?

#10 ·
Yeah, but going back to Eco mode will be hard now, won't it. ;)

I did read a post one time on here about how the sport mode could potentially wear out the clutches that engage the awd prematurely because sport mode engages the rear wheels every time the car goes from a stop or turns. Not sure if true or not.

But as far as fwd cars go, all the different modes do is adjust throttle response, shift timing and steering assist. No reason either could be harmful. It's just programming.

#12 ·
I've spent at least 3000 miles in Eco mode. If anything, the transmission tends to upshift at least as quickly as in normal mode and is less inclined to downshift. The hunting you speculate about isn't really there in my experience. If I could, I'd copy the sport mode transmission protocols to normal mode. It's doesn't shift any more frequently, it just tends to hold onto each gear a little longer so overall engine speed stays a little higher and it's more inclined to downshift when asked to. Even in normal mode, the transmission can be sluggish downshifting which can be really irritating when you need the car to move, "now!" On top of that, I think the transmission shifts a little more "crisply" than in the other modes and I prefer that. Softer shifts happen because they do a bit more clutch slipping during the shift process and that, while it may be more comfortable from the drivers point of view, adds wear and tear to the clutches.

I've done a bit of comparative research and found that fuel mileage isn't significantly different regardless of which driving mode the Rav4 is set to, at least it isn't the way I drive. My situation allows a higher than usual percentage of highway driving so Eco, Normal, or Sport modes make very little difference for me. The only reason I don't run sport all the time is I don't like the throttle programming. It's annoyingly touchy off the line and relatively dead once up to speed. I prefer the more linear feel of the throttle in normal mode and just live with how the transmission behaves which is acceptable most of the time anyway.

Can't please everyone all the time! ;)

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

#14 ·
Does ECO mode cause engine or trans wear?

Hi,
I think the question stems from the fact that upshifting too early, while reducing RPMs and hence saves gas, can cause extra strain to the engine as the pistons have to turn a bigger gear at lower RPM than a smaller gear at higher RPM. This is a basic fact with manual transmission old fashioned gas engines, but I don't know with all the new computer controlled CVTs and engines nowadays. I can tell you that our RAV4 Hybrid had noticeably better mileage in ECO mode until I turned it off, so it def does something. Does it mean I'll have an issue at 150K vs 200K with the tranny or engine? It would be great if someone with real knowledge (that ain't me) could chime in.

2017 Rav4 hybrid SE

#16 ·
Hi,
I think the question stems from the fact that upshifting too early, while reducing RPMs and hence saves gas, can cause extra strain to the engine as the pistons have to turn a bigger gear at lower RPM than a smaller gear at higher RPM. This is a basic fact with manual transmission old fashioned gas engines, but I don't know with all the new computer controlled CVTs and engines nowadays. I can tell you that our RAV4 Hybrid had noticeably better mileage in ECO mode until I turned it off, so it def does something. Does it mean I'll have an issue at 150K vs 200K with the tranny or engine? It would be great if someone with real knowledge (that ain't me) could chime in.

2017 Rav4 hybrid SE
I don't think Eco mode is going to hurt anything. The transmission isn't going to let the engine lug hard enough to do any damage. My Rav4 is a 2013 model. It's the first year model they put the six speed auto in and has the vertical opening rear hatch as opposed the the side hinged version with a full size spare, something I wouldn't mind my car having. Anyway, it's the first car I've owned with the different drive modes. When the car was about five months old, I did a little experiment. I put eight tanks of fuel through it in each of the drive modes, normal, eco, and sport. At the time, I had a rather long commute to work, about 80 miles one way so most of my driving was freeway. Also, I was fortunate enough to have a work schedule that didn't require me to commute during peak traffic times so it wasn't that bad a deal. What I found was, that the gas mileage averages wound up being within 0.5 mpg between all three, and eco mode "was not" the most efficient. That wound up being normal mode and sport mode, while being the worst of the three, was so close that it wasn't worth mentioning. These days, I don't have that commute anymore and I do a lot more city style driving. I leave my car in eco mode these days. Honestly, I don't know if it makes that much difference, but I don't think it hurts anything.

#15 ·
Hi:

I wonder if the Original Poster meant to post "Driving in EV mode" vs Eco mode? - IIRC there is information posted that trying to force the hybrid into EV mode can cause overheating/other problems? - The gist I remember is that the logic in the hybrid is better at figuring out how to minimize fuel use that the average driver might be when selecting modes.....

FWIW

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.