Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dealership overfilled oil should i be worried?

20K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  NewRav2013 
#1 ·
Just checked the dip stick 8 hours after the engine was off. Cars on level ground looks like oil is fillef one inch over the full hole on the dip stick

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
There's one solution to the negligent stupidity (nothing else to call it) of dealer service - do it yourself. I know it's not always possible for people to change their own oil. If that's the case, why not find a reputable mechanic, not affiliated with any car brand, to service your car. Just keep your receipts and your warranty is maintained.

#4 ·
Being overfilled is worse than being slightly under-filled IMHO.

I stopped doing oil changes on my cars many years ago since the longer change intervals, etc. it's just not worth the hassle to do it myself any longer.

Dealer service can vary just like independent shops can......you can get good and bad service in either case.
Independents can suck worse in many cases.....they don't know the proper oil or specs of the vehicle and do what they "think" is best. Often using no-name or off-brand oils and filters or not having the correct filter at all.
You have a greater chance of being over or under filled at an independent because they don't know or spend the time to look up the proper volume of the particular vehicle.

Find whatever works out good for you and stick with it......be it independent shop or dealer.

#6 ·
Yep, I took my Hyundai Elantra to an independent oil change shop and the manager told the service person to install the same weight oil as Honda used, incorrect for the Hyundai. Her logic? - since my car used the same oil filter as Honda it also must use the same oil! I had her drain it, change the filter, and install the correct oil and even gave her a copy of the Hyundai factory oil recommendation chart. She then sort of looked at it and then binned it. I've never returned there.

#7 ·
I don't have the owners manual in front of me, but I think the correct procedure for checking oil level is several minutes after shutdown.
Giving the engine 8 hours will drain every last drip into the oil pan, giving you the impression of it being overfilled.
I have had the dealer overfill previous vehicles by an inch (checked 5 minutes after shutdown), and I agree it's very aggravating.
Some techs just pump in a rounded amount in and hope you don't complain.

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply did what low banks said to do looks like the oil barely went over the full line..but what i did notice after this oil change is that i hear alot more of the engine now driving. What i mean is when accelerating i hear more engine noise than exhaust.it use to be the opposite i would hear more noise comming from the exhaust. You guys think different oil was used?

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply did what low banks said to do looks like the oil barely went over the full line..but what i did notice after this oil change is that i hear alot more of the engine now driving. What i mean is when accelerating i hear more engine noise than exhaust.it use to be the opposite i would hear more noise comming from the exhaust. You guys think different oil was used?

Not sure why you are hearing more engine now than before. I don't think any damage occurred from the perceived overfill but if you are concerned have the oil changed somewhere where you can watch them and make sure the oil is the correct viscosity and amount. Have you shared your concerns with the service manager at the dealership? This is a good place to start and move forward from there. I would be interested in their response. Good luck.

BTW, did a quick test and checked my oil after waiting several minutes after driving and then overnight and there was just a very miniscule difference, nothing as bad as an inch difference. Were your oil checks taken from the same place on a level surface?

#11 ·
I had the same problem with the FREE oil changes at the dealer. Had the oil changes done at (3) different dealers and all of them overfilled. The last dealer that i had it done at told me i had the wrong dipstick. What a clown he is. After coming up with one excuse after another the extra oil was finally drained. I can't prove it but i believe that they don't change the filter and that is the reason it gets over filled. Toyota is paying for the oil changes so if they don't change the filter it's more money in their pocket. I asked the service manager if anyone ever checks the oil level after they are done and all i got was a deer in the headlights look.
The oil changes were done in Lansing, Mi, Rapid city SD. and the last 3 in Poway CA.

#15 ·
I had the same problem with the FREE oil changes at the dealer. Had the oil changes done at (3) different dealers and all of them overfilled. ... I can't prove it but I believe that they don't change the filter and that is the reason it gets over filled. Toyota is paying for the oil changes so if they don't change the filter it's more money in their pocket.
Interesting, and it does make sense they'd save labor and parts by not changing the filter and technically it is called a "free oil change" not a "free oil & filter change." With a "standard" spin-on filter it would be easy to verify simply by putting a mark on the old filter but with the "new" canister type it would be harder to prove it wasn't changed.
But not changing the filter wouldn't cause overfilling since they use bulk oil & would also save money by putting less in.

#21 ·
A few millimeters (or 1/8") above maximum is not a problem.

Most dealers use bulk oil and a metering pump. They just set the amount to whatever is prescribed in the service manual and done. The real issue is not that they put too much oil in, but that they don't allow the old oil to drain completely. Dealers are pressed to do work fast and they don't have the patience to let old oil drain for 20-30 min. They just open the plug and let it drain for as long as it takes to replace the filter. 5-10 min at the most. Once the new filter is in, they put the plug back in and fill the engine with fresh oil, while there are still a few ounces of old oil left.

#24 ·
I just received my "Toyota Care Welcome Kit" in the mail yesterday. It does clearly say "replace engine oil and oil filter" as part of the ten and twenty thousand mile "freebies".
Maybe some dealers aren't doing it, but the brochure does say the filter is supposed to be included in the deal.

#28 ·
The insidious thing about overfilling the crankcase is, once the oil starts foaming, the oil air mix increases in volume, causing evermore churning. With a overfill condition the moving parts first start contacting the oil during fast turns and stops, side slopes and hills. Prolonged churning of the oil causes undesirable heating of the oil, let alone power loss.

#29 ·
I get all my work done at a dealer i trust, and honestly they have literally always had it overfilled. I assume the rav, they're putting a full 5 quarts, about a pint too much.
Maybe too cynical, but always assumed dealers did this to minimize oil burning complaints; if it's a half quart high, it'd have to burn alot more to get to the dipstick level for owner complaints.
Anyway, I just changed the Rav's oil, and put in exactly enough Mobile 1 0/20 to be a hair (1/32") below the full mark. I'm courious as to any noticable differences in operation but don't expect any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.