Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2013-2014 toyota rav 4 engine knock/rattle noise at cold star up

30K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  NewRav2013 
#1 ·
Hi
i been having this issue since last month 2013-2014 toyota rav 4 engine knock/rattle noise at cold star up.

any comments? any previous experiences?
thanks

#4 ·
i have a meeting with the toyota tech rep on 9-24-14 to resolve this issue at the dealership

this will not be a nice meeting, the dealer tried to blow me off as being stupid even though i had all sorts of documentation on this problem

my 2013 rav4 sounds like the "hammers of hell" at times and just rattles depending on the position of the cam as determined by pressure on the cam follower from the valve spring that is why the noise varies

the service writer heard the noise and documented it in writing

but would not fix it because 2013 and 2014 ravs are not coverd on the TSB

toyota short listed the vehicles on purpose to cut costs

call toyota customers service and open a complaint file then take it to the dealer and request that the noise be fixed

the dealer will not do it

call toyota customer service back and raise hell and tell them to raise the complaint to the next level

they said that i must be contacted with 48 hours and i was by the service manager who now did not treat me like i just arrived on earth like he did before

and he set up the meeting with toyota district tech

i have been a mechanic all my working life and i know engines inside and out

like i said this will not be a nice meeting

i am tired of corporate greed, STOP CORPORATE GREED that is what front license plate says !

what they are doing is fraud ! denying peoples warranty

#8 ·
Assuming your rav was made in Canada, it's entirely reasonable that assemblies containing the defect carried over from '12 Rav4 to '13 especially as the Venza (2wd and 4wd) '13 is also on the list and the assemblies are the same..
It's almost impossible for Toyota to claim they absolutely-positively didn't transport defective parts that would be in Indiana/ Kentucky plants normally, to Canada. Sure they will claim this, but it's also simple to assume that problems with one '13 in N.A. could be at any plant and that records to the part level are not accurate.
But the only way to really tell is to apply the tsb; even taking off the valve cover to check the stampings on the gear assembly would be enough trouble to just do the tsb.
Hang in there; present your case and be professional. You have a 5/60k mi warranty.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Well, i have to do it... As usual they probably guessing... Based on the TS-B-0041-13 hopefully i'll get a solution if not i'll plan change my car for the new lexus NX200. But that will be sad, because i had owned all generations of rav4... My first car back in 1998 was a rav4, then 2001, 2007 v6( best rav4) then 2013 that i currently driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
an update to my noisy rav4 engine on cold start up

the dealer replaced both the intake and exhaust cam gears and actuators

it did not fix the noise ! it made no difference

so what do i do next, nothing...not worth a heart attack or an ulcer

toyota KNOWS what the problem is and hiding it due to the costs involved, millions and millions of dollars

the tech rep test started at least four 2014 rav4 at cold start up

one was almost as bad mine

two were very noticeable

one or two made no noise

so my advise to anybody wanting to purchase any 4 cyl toyota, an model !

do not let the salesman start it up and bring it to you, open the hood before starting and make sure the engine is cold

do not let the saleman turn on the ignition and turn on the radio and talk when you start the engine to distract you

the sales personal know of the problem and will try to distract you

toyota vehicles are not what they once were

toyota USA takes their marching orders from wall street, profit protection is everything

i may soon own a subaru forester with a manual transmission

#22 ·
an update to my noisy rav4 engine on cold start up

the dealer replaced both the intake and exhaust cam gears and actuators

it did not fix the noise ! it made no difference

so what do i do next, nothing...not worth a heart attack or an ulcer

toyota KNOWS what the problem is and hiding it due to the costs involved, millions and millions of dollars

the tech rep test started at least four 2014 rav4 at cold start up

one was almost as bad mine

two were very noticeable

one or two made no noise

so my advise to anybody wanting to purchase any 4 cyl toyota, an model !

do not let the salesman start it up and bring it to you, open the hood before starting and make sure the engine is cold

do not let the saleman turn on the ignition and turn on the radio and talk when you start the engine to distract you

the sales personal know of the problem and will try to distract you

toyota vehicles are not what they once were

toyota USA takes their marching orders from wall street, profit protection is everything

i may soon own a subaru forester with a manual transmission
So have you researched lemon laws in your state? I don't think I'd just throw in the towel... if I have to live with a defect, they're going to keep fixing it (or trying) until my warranty runs out. If what you're saying is true and Toyota is ignoring the problem because it costs too much to fix, then make them pay -- via service done to your car to remedy the issue. If they can't fix it, lemon it and make them buy it back. Rolling over is EXACTLY what they want you to do.

#21 ·
Anyone got a sound/video clip with the sound? I'm curious.

Mine makes a soft initial "rattle" for about a second when first started cold, but this is a known/expected noise from the hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

G
#26 ·
@NewRav2013, Your sound, sounds just like the lifters before they get oil.. Normal..
The sound I get, sounds like the engine is way off in timing. Even my exhaust sounds as if the hangers are missing.. But it only lasts less than 3 seconds.
So far it's only happened to me 3 times, since I have owned the vehicle.

#28 ·
this is not lifter noise, as a mechanic for 35 years i know what lifter noise is

could be a design problem in the VVT system and defective related parts which cam gear and VVT assy replacement maybe a hit or miss repair

could be a lot of things, one could be a noisy balancer assy or the oiling system draining out due to some other mechanical defect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.