Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Squeak noise heard when backing up on cold days

21K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  arf 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Rav4 LTD.

My problem only occurs on cold days (i'm in Montreal, Quebec). My car is parked in my driveway which is slanted down to the street, at about 10 degrees angle ( i'm guessing) - when I back out, I can hear a faint squeaking sound only when backing up. Once I move forward the noise stops. Also if park my car with the back of the car to my house, so i move forward into the street there is no squeak.

I have tried with and without engaging the parking brake. If I park on the street (flat surface) - and I go in reverse (on cold day) - no squeak.

I've also tried to roll the car back, without being in gear - squeak is heard.

Dealer has cleaned and serviced my breaks....but nothing.

As I write this, our weather is getting cold here in Montreal, and my squeak noise is back -

I'm writing to Toyota Canada about the issue.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this sort of thing before ?

thanks.

jim

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine has done this for years--a little squeak or squeal from the rear brakes when first backing out in the morning. It's caused by a little film of rust that occurs on the rotor overnight. It quickly gets rubbed off by the pads and no more noise for the rest of the day. The parking brake is different, it's a drum brake within the rotor, so that has nothing to do with it.

#10 ·
wow, JuneBug thanks for the reply.

Why is no one at the Toyota dealer able to explain this to me ? Is it normal for a little film of rust to form on a new car's brakes ?

It never does the squeak in the summer.
Backingout, our rav does the traditional squeal; let off the brake a couple of times and it stops; the surface of the rotor has to be cleaned off.

We joke that it's like the sound from the movie when Rudolph's nose starts to glow.
Thin film of rust is totally normal on a rotor, even after a few hours and esp if it's been raining.
Check out cars at a dealers lot that haven't been moved.

#6 ·
How many miles do you have on the ODO? You gotta remember that the stainless steel retaining clips gather dirt and dust which hinders the pads movement. They also warp after so many miles (heat expansion and contraction). When pressure is released from the calipers, the pads should release as well. When the dealer inspected your brakes, they probably sprayed the the caliper with some brake cleaner and that's it. To properly service the calipers/brakes for the squeal...they should have removed the calipers, removed the brake pads, removed the clips, scrubbed the retaining clips (with a wire brush) and scrubbed the caliper (where the clips mount) along with brake cleaner, inspected the mounting pins and boots, re-lubed them, and then reassembled. That is after the pads and clips have been inspected and pass, sometimes pads will wear at an angle (unevenly) which also causes the squeal when backing. Anyhow, service dealers will only do the minimum to try and remedy the problem, most of the low line "techs' these days don't have the experience to know this, unless there is a TSB. (not knocking any techs here but it seems the mechanic industry has turned into a McDonald's type turn around)

#7 ·
...Anyhow, service dealers will only do the minimum to try and remedy the problem, most of the low line "techs' these days don't have the experience to know this, unless there is a TSB. (not knocking any techs here but it seems the mechanic industry has turned into a McDonald's type turn around)
This is one of the reasons that I do all of my own service on my vehicles.

#8 ·
I reluctantly had our Rav4 serviced at the dealer for the free 24 months, in that time...2 broken wheel studs from over torquing the nuts, oil leak because the "tech" forgot to tighten the drain nut, and poor service in general. That's why I do my own inspection after the Rav comes back from the stealership!!!

#9 ·
Been there and got screwed multiple times in similar scenarios as describe by Whipaway and 2013greyrav4 plus more... Since years ago, I started to invest in better quality wrench/socket sets, jacks, torque wrenches and etc. just so I can screw things up myself in my own garage while gaining more knowledge in this area. Now that I am getting old no longer as flexible as before, I guess in a few more years I will be back staring at those TVs in those "stealerships" lobbies. I may just get lucky then by getting stressed out while waiting and past in peace there... LOL - No more fixing those joker's mess ups...

#11 ·
Same Noise

Hello Jim

I have a RAV4 2014 and after 7600 km on the odometer I am having a similar issue.
I park the RAV4 in the drive way backwards (no handbrake) and drive out backwards from the driveway after it's been idle for the night I have that squeaking noise. What I am also noticing is that for about 2 km the brakes seem to be making a grinding noise when I apply the brakes.

I am Laval and I have noticed that it occurs more when it rainy and damp days, I still have that squeaking and grinding noise on drier days but it's less noticeable.

After about 2 km the noise stops, are you noticing the same grinding noise?

#12 ·
I see this problem has been around awhile. I just purchased a 2014 Limited AWD and this rear squeak in the morning is present in my vehicle also. Service says everything is fine and the used car manager repeated what JuneBug said about "morning rust" almost word for word. There is a TSB posted on the site, but I don't know how to link it. Its T-SB-0096-16. I'm going to present a copy of this to service in the near future. I wonder if they can read?

#13 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Rav4 LTD.

My problem only occurs on cold days (i'm in Montreal, Quebec). My car is parked in my driveway which is slanted down to the street, at about 10 degrees angle ( i'm guessing) - when I back out, I can hear a faint squeaking sound only when backing up. Once I move forward the noise stops. Also if park my car with the back of the car to my house, so i move forward into the street there is no squeak.

I have tried with and without engaging the parking brake. If I park on the street (flat surface) - and I go in reverse (on cold day) - no squeak.

I've also tried to roll the car back, without being in gear - squeak is heard.

Dealer has cleaned and serviced my breaks....but nothing.

As I write this, our weather is getting cold here in Montreal, and my squeak noise is back -

I'm writing to Toyota Canada about the issue.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this sort of thing before ?

thanks.

jim
Same problem with my rav 4 hybride 2020 front driver side. Coule you tôle if it si at the front and whatever side the noise. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.