Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tick sound when turning at a full lock

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RTexasF 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Rav4 LE AWD. Recently noticed a tick/knock sound when I turn left or right on a near to full lock turn of the steering wheel. Few weeks ago I swapped to winter tires and are no longer using the toyota rims. Steelies are hub-centered and wheels are goodyear nordics. Did not have any sounds when I first installed the tires.

At first I thought maybe a nail or rock got stuck in the treads to make the ticking sound, but I spun each tired and found no rocks or nails in any. I re-torqued all lugs to make sure they are all at spec (76 ft-lbs right? lol). Turned the tires left and right to see if they clear the fenders and mudflaps and they do. Tires are inflated at 34 psi.

I have an appointment with toyota next week to get this checked out, but anyone have any other ideas on what I else I should check?

#4 ·
*Update

Sadly tried to bring the rav in today only for the sound to pretty much disappear as I arrived for the check up. However, one of the service guys were aware of a similar case where aftermarket rim's welds were faulty. Been a few cases where Canadian Tire and Costco rims had made this tick sound.. Few days later it came back and I was able to bring it in and they believe its the same sound. They asked me to change back to the OEM rims for now and in a couple of weeks if it does not come back, they'll write me an invoice so I can show Canadian Tire that their rims are the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.