Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

30K service cost

38K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  NoToYoda 
#1 ·
My 2013 Rav4 is approaching 30k miles and just wanted to get an idea how much it costs for 30K service and what are the things done in this service.

#3 ·
30k miles should also include replacement of engine air filter and checking oil level in differential(s) and transfer case (4WD), as per Toyota recommended maintenance schedule. Checking oil level in differential(s) and transfer case requires extra labor/time beyond the standard inspection performed at 10 & 20k miles (which is limited to the fluids that can be checked under the hood without lifting the car)
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-13RAV4/pdf/2013_Toyota_RAV4_WMG_lr.pdf

~$120 at my dealer

#4 ·
Thanks Guys, I received an offer from my dealer stating for $300 I can extend my Toyota care till 45k miles which includes 30k and 45k major services. Considering synthetic oil change itself cost close to $75 I might go with it.

I wanted to make sure he is not fleecing me with fancy buzz words.

#6 ·
I did it. If you plan on staying with the toyota for maintenance it will save you money.

For extending the maintenance I also recieved a coupon book for things like a reduced price alignment, which I already used when I got new tires. Some % off brakes, 1/2 off inspection. And some others.

#8 ·
That's ridiculous! For my 30K service I used a $39.95 coupon the dealership emails me. That covers oil change, tire rotation, and 21 point inspection. This was listed as my 30K service in the official service history. Of course they always try to sell me their "recommended" services like fuel injector cleaning, throttle body cleaning, as well as overpriced air filters. Don't confuse "recommended" services by the dealer to Toyota "required" services that protect your warranty.

#10 ·
What happens at 30k or after when for some reason you take your car/suv back to dealer. And they realize you have not been faithfully taking it to them. It seems from what i read somewhere in earlier posts on this site. Dealer might say your upkeep is not being honor correctly. Or is that only when car is still under warranty. For example you get your oil change at different place other than a dealer. And then the next time you take it to them.
I thought someone might have said at one time. Toyota dealer can say since car is still under warranty and you did not take it them. They might be a problem covering future warranty items? Am I wrong? Maybe read this post from a while ago wrong. Sorry if wrong. Just wondering.

#11 ·
I just scheduled a 30k service appt for my 2013. I did it on the website so it may come out to be less since some of it might be covered by the 3/36k services. I was warned that the recommended services would run $130.

That sounds a lot more reasonable than $400. I think $400 is crazy talk.

#14 ·
Yeahbut what about all the time it takes the highly trained girl in the office to check off all those safety and "inspected" items for a car she never sees? :wink

#16 · (Edited)
The price of parts at a Dealership is a 50 percent markup. The labor cost is 25 percent higher than most Auto Repair shops.
Regular Auto Repair shops will markup price of parts 50 percent, if they have to go to the dealership then it will be 70 percent. But Labor cost is 25 percent lower than Dealership.
Dealerships and Regular Auto Repair shops will find ways to make you Pay more $$$, saying certain things need to be replaced. Do not fall for this scam. Have them prove that you need the repair work done. Only pay what you went there for. If you knew than you have a small hole in your exhaust line and did not want it repaired, then do not get fixed.. You can replace all Air Filters and Light bulbs yourself. You can add fluids yourself. You can do the Oil Change yourself (watch You Tube videos), you can Rotate your own tires and while doing so Inspect your own Brake Pads, Caliper and brake lines, and Rotors as replacing Pads is the easiest thing to do.(again if you do not know how there are You Tube videos). Inspect the Struts or Shock absorbers when the tires are off. Keep all receipts for parts you purchased and because the ink fades on receipts or become damaged or lost. Take pictures and upload them onto your computer. Be sure to update the work done on Toyota.com under Owner and Service.
Checking the drive belts for cracks and cuts is simple, same with hoses look for Leaks. Windshield Wiper Blades is easiest when windshield is always filthy and unable to squeegee the water away.
The rubber on the wiper blade is torn - time to replace. Spark plugs may last 100K miles, I would change at 50K due to carbonation buildup or points getting hot and worn, you want a clean arc / spark for best combustion and helps with gas mileage. If you want a clean Engine Compartment, get a professional Detailer to do it. Improper Steaming and Pressure Wash can do Damage.
Rust occurring, go get the RAV4 undercarriage Rusty Check, Ziebart, Corrosion Free or Krown. You should wash and wax your car by hand every 3 to 4 months. Touchless Car washes at least One time every 2 weeks. Do not wash car more than twice a week. Stay far away from other vehicles in a parking lot as much as possible besides walking that extra 50 feet is good for your health and possibly keep reckless and disrespectful people from vandalizing/ damaging your car with dings and dents and scratches or worse.

VSA Warranty will always be good unless you fail to document the work and save receipts or other repair/service work. Dealerships cannot VOID your Warranty. They may not like the fact you are not going to their business and paying their High Premium. Synthetic Oil Change is roughly $60 alone. The other work they have to do takes maybe 30 to 40 minutes or $60 to $70 labor (which is overpriced).
A fair price is like $120 plus tax to perform the 20K, 25K, 30K, or 40K Scheduled Maintenance. However, when parts must be replaced that cost is on you and as mentioned Dealerships tack on additional 50 percent on price of part. A $10 part will cost you $15 at the dealership. You can do the brake pads yourself if they claim they need be replaced. (Save yourself $100 plus in labor cost and why not Pay yourself).

#18 ·
That is rather cheap for the Bay area, cost of living there in Cal is much higher than most States. Last time I was in Monterey was in 1984 as a Navy friend last named Murphy, and his younger brother who was at the Naval Academy. The 3 of us and another guy got together and went Scuttlebutt sailing in the bay. One of my best days ever having fun as cruising about 30 knots. Never sailed before even though I was in the Navy having been deployed on 3 Aircraft Carriers (USS Forrestal, Independence and Kitty Hawk) is not the same. It was an experience to do some real sailing with sails.
It was fun to get away from the Naval Air Station for a weekend as drove my used 1978 Alfa Romeo Spyder (bought in 1983) to the bay. Driving around Pebble Beach area with all the wealthy folks homes well hidden or behind closed gates. Never made it to San Fran to drive over the Golden Gate bridge or further north to the Redwood National Park. In my new 1982 Mustang GT 5.0 302 Boss V8 with T-tops been to Yosemite National Park, Joshua Tree, San Lois Obispo beach, Visalia, Fresno, San Diego, drove I-5 over Mt. Shasta. I was there May 2, 1983 the Coalinga Ca. earthquake of 6.2 as stationed at Naval Air Station Lemoore 33 miles away. In 1985 flew commercial from San Fran to Tokyo and met a nice woman about 2 years older than myself, we had become pen-pals and I called her a few time, every time I wanted to visit her in Santa Rosa, she had an excuse and she was single. I was in Washington State, north of Seattle, on May 18, 1980 when Mt. St. Helens blew as 210 miles away. Did not feel and heard anything until broadcast on the news. Had no volcanic ash falling in my area, people were collecting and selling the ash. LOL.
Maintenance and car repairs were simpler as most you could DIY. Today with fuel injection and computers you need special tools and test equipment which provided the means for Dealerships and Repair Shops to jack up labor rates. Also, for Insurance companies to raise premiums since unable to do a fix / repair without replacing everything. Plastic, Fiberglass and aluminum has to be thrown away. Now parts are expensive. Auto Labor rates are not set to a standard price across the U.S. as getting more expensive everyday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.