Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Can this make ride better over bumps

28K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  katekebo 
#1 ·
Ok now almost everyone or alot of people have mentioned that they don't like that thud when they either go over a bump or broken pavement on highway.
So I am not doing this but wondering if possible.

Would putting different shocks on the rav make it be more softer and lessen the thud sound? Or is this a complete or would be a complete waste of money?
Would that also affect the way the thing drove/rode?

Just wondering. Since people like to make mods to their cars.

#3 ·
The "thud" comes mainly from the design of the multilink rear suspension combined with very stiff rear springs.

In order to eliminate this problem you would need to replace:

- rear springs - softer springs would help, but would also reduce load bearing capacity / make the car sag with any significant load in the back

- different bushings between the multilink arms and the car's body

- different / better shocks (not necessarily softer).

The solution already exists - Toyota modified the rear suspension of the RAV for the Lexus NX to alleviate this specific problem. It has exactly the same geometry, and many components are shared except for:
- bushings
- springs
- shocks

Unfortunately, the bushings used in the NX won't fit the RAV's body - they are too big.

Bottom line - you get what you pay for.

#4 ·
Time to experiment/mod! If the NX bushings are too big then look for a size that will actually fit providing it's just the bushings that need replacement/upgrading and not the links themselves.

If the NX springs and shocks are longer/shorter then what's already on the RAV then look for a brand/size that will fit and be identical or very close to the specs of the NX shocks/springs.

I believe that down the road some brave RAV'er will actually try all of the above. :wink

#7 ·
Good stability does not have to translate into harsh ride. The Lexus NX is a good example. It has better handling than the RAV and much nicer ride. Same with BMW X3 orX5. Or Lexus RX. All of these are tall crossovers.

It's really matter of good engineering and using high quality parts. The RAV is a cheap, budget-oriented, entry-level small CUV and Toyota feels that they can sell enough of them without spending too much money in parts and engineering to refine the ride. Most people who buy a car in RAV's price range are willing to accept (poor) ride quality. But Toyota knows that RAV-like ride is not good enough for a Lexus customer and hence they spent significant amount of engineering effort to refine the ride - while using exactly the same suspension geometry.

Like any consumer product, car manufacturers are engineered to balance cost, price-point and consumer expectation.

#8 ·
Your post is well-written, but there is an important, even if minor, contradiction. If the Lexus NX has the same suspension geometry as the Rav4, and I've read that is the case, then there should be a way to improve the Rav's ride quality for those of us that are concerned about that issue. Most recognize that the Rav4 is a budget CUV, but that fact doesn't mean that shocks or springs or some other technological "fix" isn't available, or won't become available, to address that issue at modest expense. This forum often provides solutions to such questions:

#9 ·
I curse the RAV4 suspension every day. Certainly there is a way to civilize it but at what cost? I question the "modest expense" in taming the suspension which is quite crude in its OEM form. Different tires will certainly help but at current prices that's still a rather expensive fix.

#11 ·
As is the case with the FJ Cruiser and the Tacoma, certain of their owners have companies that cater to the off road enthusiast by manufacturing and selling aftermarket parts/products for 4WD vehicles. A few of these owners took it upon themselves to develop products to modify their own vehicles with for better off-road performance and then they offered those specific products for sale to the FJ Cruiser/Tacoma communities. They offered 'group buys' and were able to sell their products at reduced prices saving the communities lots of money and making a small profit for themselves as well.

Is it at all possible for the RAV4? Sure it is, anything is possible, but the after-market manufacturers need a reason (think sales) to venture into curing the RAV4's stiff suspension issues. If only a limited number of RAV4 owners show an interest in 're-springing' then these companies will never bother with the RAV4. Bottom line, make noise and let the after-market industry know that you want a softer ride - it is feasible now that the NX is/will be on the market, and maybe they'll take notice. Toyota has already done the research (NX suspension), the after-market industry just has to develop a product for the RAV4. Heck, it might even work on more than just the 4.4 platform. :surprise

#13 ·
I have the mitichie lattitude now came with rav. And they are nice tire, quiet on some roads, real quite on newly paved road, alittle loud on concrete but that is to be expected. I am not crying about it. since noticed it during test ride. But at time it can be holy cow what was that! But now most roads in NE usa are torn up cause of harsh winter. To be expected. But thanks just wondering. And if I think I would be keep said cuv longer than 4yrs and if after market springs are available or see something posted here. Maybe I would do it.

I will look up those mitch A/s tires.

#14 ·
The ride harshness becomes more noticeable when the gas tank is near 1/4 tank to empty, more acceptable when more than 1/2 tank to full... If still not good enough, may be add a 50lbs bag of sand in the trunk until the warranty is overed then do any mods.

P.S. New shocks will likely not change much as the harshness has to do with the springs as mentioned in another post.

#23 ·
#25 ·
I never accept a vehicle with the dealership's markings on it.

Plate holder comes off ASAP too!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#26 ·
Strange. I have never owned a RAV4 before, but I actually find the suspension on our new RAV4 Hybrid Limited a little bit on the soft side. In fact, I upped the tire pressure by a couple of PSI to firm it up slightly. Mind you we now have 17" winter wheels on it, and 2 PSI over Limited 18" pressures is only 1 PSI over XLE 17" pressures. (Limited's door jamb pressure is 32 all around. 33 for the XLE. I'm running 34 PSI.)

I made it a point to specify no decals when I ordered the car, but the salesman assured me that their dealership doesn't participate in such shenanigans. They only ever put on licence plate frames with the dealer name on it, which I think is reasonable. That is easily replaced by the end user.

BTW, our car's tires came at the proper pressure. I don't see how it could be at 56 PSI anyway, since that exceeds the maximum safe pressure specification of the stock tires. Either way, if you're getting multiple cars inflated to 56 PSI for the tires, perhaps it's time to find a new dealership.

#27 ·
Many members of this site have complained loud and long about the stiff suspension of the 4.4 (2013- 2015), clunking in the rear over bumps and some turns, and noisy interior over concrete or other than freshly-paved asphalt roads. Toyota claims to have addressed both the suspension and noisy interior issues on its 2016 models. Your experience, and that of some other 2016 owners, indicate that improvements must have been made...

#28 ·
Going from a 2015 AWD Limited to a 2016 Limited Hybrid the ride is a little softer and fair bit quieter IMO, ride could be softer due to the extra weight of the Hybrid, but there's definitely more body insulation from what I can see, also noticed the doors don't close as easily likely due to better/thicker seals, I'm constantly having to close my door a bit harder to get it closed. Mine was delivered with the tires at 30lbs which was the first thing I checked when I got it home, still riding softer at 33lbs than the 2015 at 30lbs. Might possibly be the tires, the Hybrid has G91 Geolanders, the 2015 had Toyo A20s.

#29 ·
Many members of this site have complained loud and long about the stiff suspension of the 4.4 (2013- 2015), clunking in the rear over bumps and some turns, and noisy interior over concrete or other than freshly-paved asphalt roads. Toyota claims to have addressed both the suspension and noisy interior issues on its 2016 models. Your experience, and that of some other 2016 owners, indicate that improvements must have been made...
Going from a 2015 AWD Limited to a 2016 Limited Hybrid the ride is a little softer and fair bit quieter IMO, ride could be softer due to the extra weight of the Hybrid, but there's definitely more body insulation from what I can see, also noticed the doors don't close as easily likely due to better/thicker seals, I'm constantly having to close my door a bit harder to get it closed. Mine was delivered with the tires at 30lbs which was the first thing I checked when I got it home, still riding softer at 33lbs than the 2015 at 30lbs. Might possibly be the tires, the Hybrid has G91 Geolanders, the 2015 had Toyo A20s.
Ah I see. That makes sense. I have only owned the 2016 Hybrid. Noise isn't as quiet as a Lexus, but it's not bad. If it was louder then it would be irritating.

I've also noticed the door closing thing. With my 2004 Prius, just the door swinging closed on its own would close the door. If I was on an incline, I could just tap it with one finger to get the swing started, and then it would shut completely. On my 2012 Prius Plug-in it wasn't as consistent, but sometimes it would fully close just swinging on its own too. On the RAV4 Hybrid it just doesn't. I always have to remember to firmly shut the door. It's a bit annoying actually, but if it's to reduce cabin noise, I can live with that.

My RAV4 Limited Hybrid came with Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 235/55R18 100H. Recommended tire pressure is 32 PSI and IIRC, that was the actual pressure after the dealer preparation before they handed us the keys. I don't know what the tire pressure was fresh off the boat.

#30 ·
I can't believe that you folks consider a $32,000 vehicle a cheap, budget oriented vehicle. All vehicles have their shortcomings and all vehicles are not for everyone. I don't consider my Rav limited to be cheap by any means. You can't compare the Rav to a Lexus as they are two different vehicles built to attract the needs of different buyers. You can't compare an Acura TL to a Honda Civic. I tested a Honda CRV prior to buying the Rav. The Honda engine shakes like hell at idle, has a CVT transmission that I hated and I opted for the Rav. Is the RAV perfect? No, but for my money it is one helluva, reliable vehicle that I enjoy driving. If you are looking for the perfect vehicle for everyone you won't find one unless you build it yourself.

#31 ·
One problem right now is that despite the rise of the US dollar, pricing in the US hasn't really reflected the value of the US dollar.

For example, the MSRP when I purchased my RAV4 Hybrid Limited with Technology Package (including Cargo Net Hammock) was CAD$40940. That is US$29565 at current exchange rates (Valentine's Day).

The MSRP in the US for the RAV4 Hybrid Limited with Technology Package and Flexible Cargo Net Tray is US$36020. That's a difference of a whopping US$6455, or CAD$8939.

If I had to pay CAD$50000 plus tax, fees, and freight on top of that for a tricked out RAV4 Hybrid Limited, I wouldn't consider that cheap either. But for $41000 (or under CAD$39000 after negotiation in my case), I consider that mid-priced and reasonable. Not for the true budget oriented, but within easy reach of many middle-class families without a high budget. US$36020? Not so much, even with higher US average incomes.

And as the others have indicated, it seems some of the ride problems have been solved in the 2016.

#32 ·
Agree with the prior comments regarding improved ride quality. We test drove the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T before buying our '16 RAV XLE. Both were comparable in day-to-day conditions, although the Santa Fe had more power. Both rode firmly but not harshly. I have around 3200 miles on "Rachael" (yep-one of those guys who names cars) and have been really pleased with the ride quality in a variety of conditions (interstate, county roads, snow, ice). I do have the Michelin M + S which seem to be a good quality.

#36 · (Edited)
The problem with the RAv4's suspension is NOT the springs, it is the shock valving. To much compression dampening and most likely too much rebound damping. I have had the 2014 AWD Rav4 (19,555) for 2 weeks so far and I had the chance to ride in the back seat about 1 plus week ago and boy, did that beat me up.

So I called EVERY aftermarket shock manufacture and even Tokico to see if they have a shock or if they have an option/service to revalve said shocks. I was able to even talk to specialty divs of some manufactures. The Rav4 is just a loser for aftermarket shocks. It just will never happen.

Bilstien did not have a shock, but they have the option to re-valve if we can find a shock that fits the mounts, and full compressed and full extended. We need someone to pull a rear shock and get all the specs. Even if we get close they could work. Or if you know anyone at Toyota to see if they stock an oem shock and if they will let you measure it's specs.

I had the same issue with my 2009 Honda Fit and replaced the shocks and struts with Koni ST-R Orange units and what a joy!!! They reduced OEM valving by what I think is 15% that made the difference. It is still a sporty ride but a more German refined valving. Germans spend time in refining shock valving even on their cheap cars. Japs spend 1/2 a day on valving and call it a day.

Remember, 70% of ride quality happens at the rear of a car/truck. That is why we all hate our Rav4's ride. I have one more test to do at a specific road that tells me if it is spring or shock valving or both. I hope to get there within a week or two. I am 90% sure it is shock valving and not spring rate for us.

#37 · (Edited)
.... We need someone to pull a rear shock and get all the specs. Even if we get close they could work. Or if you know anyone at Toyota to see if they stock an oem shock and if they will let you measure it's specs.
I believe the measurements are as follow:
Collapsed length: 10.78 in.
Extended length: 16.33 in.
Damper travel: 5.55 in.

You may want to contact the store (Martin's auto parts - out of La Salle, IL) where I located the above spec at (877) 234-8698.