Bad Fuel Economy? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad Fuel Economy?

Just wondering what are you guy's fuel economy like? I have a 2014 Rav4 LE AWD. Rated at 35km city/46km highway (22 city/29 highway for miles).

Currently at 8000km. Recent oil change. Bought the car in January of 2014.

My mileage seems to be rather crummy. The past 2 weeks been doing a lot of mixed highway and city driving, shortest drive being about 10 minutes and longest being about an hour. Filled up yesterday for 35L and only drove 234km. Average says about 12.9. Did the math comes to about 6.7km per 1L so around 26.7km per 4L which seems pretty far off from the manufacture's estimate. I do realize driving conditions make a big difference in fuel economy and the numbers made by the manufacture is only an estimate but does about 10km per 4L seem far off?

The estimation for how many kilometers I will get on a full tank can also never reach over 400 anymore. On a flat surface, I'd just fill it to the rim and the estimation still does not go over 400.

I called the dealer to see if warranty covers a check up and they say it may cost 60-120 dollars for diagnostic fees and everything if its found not a manufacture's defect. Otherwise free if its found as a defect. Wanted to see what other owners are getting for fuel economy before possibly paying out for diagnostic fees..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,345 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
You'll find a lot of info in this thread:

MPG - please report

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"
•Tow Prep •Autodim mirror w/compass
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
kehfun (04-11-2015)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 10:25 PM

Garage
Getting great mileage on our RAV4. We expect it to go up a bit with summer blend fuel. Since new, all we have used is E10 which kills the mileage about 1-3 per gallon

----
Joe

2014 Limited 2.5L I4 AWD in Classic Silver Metallic

Last edited by tibadoe; 04-12-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Add info.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
Getting great mileage on our RAV4. We expect it to go up a bit with summer blend fuel.
Really? 22mpg is about 35km/4L (city) I am getting 26km in 4L on both highway and city combined (the combined manufacture rating is at 25mpg which converted to kilometers would be 40km). 10km short of what the Rav4 is estimated in the city and 15km short of the combined rating of what the manufacturer estimates.
Seeing some people getting 272.1mi and 11.70 gal = 23.24mpg which is still way better than what I am getting. 437.90km at 44.28L... Some getting even 530km at 49L (329 mile @ 13gal)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got about 24.5/25 in the city but have heavy foot. On highway in winter getting about 29 but again heavy foot plus uphill alot on highway. So this recent spring fwd rav paying more attention and getting alittle over 31/32 est.
But not going 70 to 75 mph. I look at it this way. Its a cuv/suv. so mpg is not going to ever be great. I bought it and it still meets my needs for now.

If I get tired and price of US goes way up then buy something more eco minded like a corolla, civic, cruze. Or a sedan.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just wondering what are you guy's fuel economy like? I have a 2014 Rav4 LE AWD.
...Rated at 35km city/46km highway (22 city/29 highway for miles).
... The past 2 weeks been doing a lot of mixed highway and city driving, shortest drive being about 10 minutes and longest being about an hour. Filled up yesterday for 35L and only drove 234km. Average says about 12.9. Did the math comes to about 6.7km per 1L so around 26.7km per 4L which seems pretty far off from the manufacture's estimate.
To be accurate, track actual fuel used over several tanks. Check out Fuelly website for several owner reports:
2014 Toyota RAV4 Mileage

Most report 9 L/100 km (or 26 mpg). Obviously, there will be variations due to winter driving, city driving, higher speeds, and other driving habits.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM

If you feel your Rav is getting poor mileage, you're right- they certainly get substantially less than "sticker rating". I bought a 2013 for the wife and complained about the poor mileage: the dealership line, at that time, was "wait until it breaks in, gets 5,000 miles on it"- the next service I again complained and made them do an "engine check". They claim they scanned to see if any sensors were "out of range"- they weren't. I complained again at the next service and they scanned again- "no sensors out of range- again". My wife's Rav was getting about 16 MPG in suburban driving. A tech sat in the car with me and said that the mileage I was getting is what he sees, and I believe him. If you drive on highways extensively, your MPG will go up significantly because of the 6-speed transmission
If I were you I'd press them to do an engine check at zero cost to you- If they resist get in touch with your regional Toyota rep.
Many of the people here exaggerate their mileage, in my view...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMays View Post
If you feel your Rav is getting poor mileage, you're right- they certainly get substantially less than "sticker rating". I bought a 2013 for the wife and complained about the poor mileage: the dealership line, at that time, was "wait until it breaks in, gets 5,000 miles on it"- the next service I again complained and made them do an "engine check". They claim they scanned to see if any sensors were "out of range"- they weren't. I complained again at the next service and they scanned again- "no sensors out of range- again". My wife's Rav was getting about 16 MPG in suburban driving. A tech sat in the car with me and said that the mileage I was getting is what he sees, and I believe him. If you drive on highways extensively, your MPG will go up significantly because of the 6-speed transmission
If I were you I'd press them to do an engine check at zero cost to you- If they resist get in touch with your regional Toyota rep.
Many of the people here exaggerate their mileage, in my view...
Did you just call the Toyota customer service line and discussed the situation with them? The Service Rep I spoke with from the dealership I bought my car seemed rather persistent that I will pay the diagnostic fees if its not a manufacture's defect...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

two guys I work with have 4.4 rav4s and are getting about the same mileage as me... in my 2012 V6! lol

winter gas does have an influence, but that's 5-10% diffence max...
do you always go to the same gas station? I get constitently better gas mileage at certain stations (Esso) and bad mileage at Ultramar/Valero.

2007 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD (bought back after dealer messed it up)
2012 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD, setup for towing with p3 brake controler, airbags rear helper springs, 15k atf cooler.
Toys: 2008 Doral Sunquest 170, 2016 Princecraft Vectra 19, 2011 Jayco Swift slx 154bh
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
two guys I work with have 4.4 rav4 and are getting about the same mileage as me... in my 2012 V6! lol

winter gas does have an influence, but that's 5-10% diffence max... do you always go to the same gas station? I get constitently better gas mileage at certain stations!
Yeah I usually use the Esso near my house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page