Oil leak on 2015 RAV4?!?? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Member
Country: jest's Flag is: United States
 
jest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 95
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefen1990 View Post
That is EXACTLY where mine was at at how it looks now after I cleaned it. Have you brought it up yet to Toyota? Obviously this is an issue... I love my car so much, I hate to see it have problems.
i thought so. i had a few b-new cars in the fast and never experienced this except with my 4.4. i haven't brought mine to the dealership yet coz i just finished my 15k service before i cleaned. will definitely bring this up once i'm due with my 20k. or if you get to your next service first probably you can mention this and will support you with your claim.
jest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 04:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
same thing here, brand new only at 4.5k miles and it's leaking. will have a word with them when i go in for first service.

seems the grey thing sandwiched in-between engine and oil pan (suppose I can call it gasket) is the issue, so I tighten the screws close by which hold the oil pan, will see in a few days if it solves the problem.
hhung516 is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Member
Country: jest's Flag is: United States
 
jest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 95
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhung516 View Post
same thing here, brand new only at 4.5k miles and it's leaking. will have a word with them when i go in for first service.

seems the grey thing sandwiched in-between engine and oil pan (suppose I can call it gasket) is the issue, so I tighten the screws close by which hold the oil pan, will see in a few days if it solves the problem.
the grey rubbery thing is a silicone gasket. it seals the gap better than just having the rubber gasket in between. am not really sure how i can bring this up with my SA when i go back for a scheduled service. i'd be able to tell him/them that there's already three 4.4 (2013 and 2015) models that experienced this light oil seepage. but if asked for a proof, what do you think i can give them? suggestions???
jest is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 04:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
the grey rubbery thing is a silicone gasket. it seals the gap better than just having the rubber gasket in between. am not really sure how i can bring this up with my SA when i go back for a scheduled service. i'd be able to tell him/them that there's already three 4.4 (2013 and 2015) models that experienced this light oil seepage. but if asked for a proof, what do you think i can give them? suggestions???
I took a photo before wiping it clean so feel free to show them my photo.

I think there should be more than just us three out there. How many do we need for them to issue a recall?

At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total.

hhung516 is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
Country: Mikey D.'s Flag is: United States
 
Mikey D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Northeast
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 31
Thanked 91 Times in 81 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
the grey rubbery thing is a silicone gasket. it seals the gap better than just having the rubber gasket in between. am not really sure how i can bring this up with my SA when i go back for a scheduled service. i'd be able to tell him/them that there's already three 4.4 (2013 and 2015) models that experienced this light oil seepage. but if asked for a proof, what do you think i can give them? suggestions???

Tell the SA that your RAV is leaking oil, then show him/her. Period. Amen.

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
Mikey D. is offline  
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Member
Country: jest's Flag is: United States
 
jest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 95
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhung516 View Post
I took a photo before wiping it clean so feel free to show them my photo.

I think there should be more than just us three out there. How many do we need for them to issue a recall?

At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total.

hmm.. your case seem far worst than me. what is on top of this cv boot area (left or right side?)

since your oil trace is near the cv boot, i assume your problem is the engine side facing the firewall. and with how it looks like i guess your need to inform your SA with this ASAP.
jest is offline  
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Member
Country: jest's Flag is: United States
 
jest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 95
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey D. View Post
Tell the SA that your RAV is leaking oil, then show him/her. Period. Amen.
i did brought this up during my 5k service. the SA dodge the issue as "possible" left over "oil sweating" case from a brand new car/engine. since then i've been observing my case if it'll worsen or not. as of now my grime accumulation stays the same (builts up about 3 weeks) and i would clean it then. but like i said, since i know now that there are other members here experiencing the same problem, i'd bring this up again on my 20k service.
jest is offline  
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
Country: pico's Flag is: United States
 
pico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Driftless Area, Minnesota
Posts: 2,032
Thanks: 663
Thanked 192 Times in 180 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total.
Pour some plain kitty litter on the spots, grind it into the cement with your shoe until it's almost power. The oil will disappear in a day or two.

2011 Limited, V6, factory tow package, Blizzard Pearl
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pico is offline  
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
problem fixed

Took the car in for first time service, they acknowledged the leak was caused by a manufacture defect in gasket and replaced it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
Pour some plain kitty litter on the spots, grind it into the cement with your shoe until it's almost power. The oil will disappear in a day or two.
Great, now I have to find a cat.

Overall I'm happy with the service, although I wish it had never happened in the first place. Also I'm believe the cast aluminum oil pan with molded rubber gasket combination from the old days will last way longer than the silicon stuff, guess they don't make cars the way they used to...

Thanks guys!!!
hhung516 is offline  
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Member
Country: jest's Flag is: United States
 
jest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: garden grove, ca
Posts: 95
Thanks: 7
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhung516 View Post
Took the car in for first time service, they acknowledged the leak was caused by a manufacture defect in gasket and replaced it for free.



Great, now I have to find a cat.

Overall I'm happy with the service, although I wish it had never happened in the first place. Also I'm believe the cast aluminum oil pan with molded rubber gasket combination from the old days will last way longer than the silicon stuff, guess they don't make cars the way they used to...

Thanks guys!!!
the picture you posted earlier (oil leak) did it came from on the side of the valve cover? were you able to pin point the origin of the leakage?
jest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome