Oil leak on 2015 RAV4?!?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Oil leak on 2015 RAV4?!??

Hello,
I looked under my hood today to keep things clean. I noticed on the engine block near the alternator, some brown gunk. after wiping some of it off, it appears to be oil. I checked my oil level and its between full and ¾ full. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid or what. My RAV4 has 7k on it and hasn't even had it's first oil change. It's only had its first maintenance done (tire rotation). Anyone else notice that on their BRAND NEW RAV4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You are likely being paranoid. Settle down. A new engine breaking in will use a bit of oil. That is normal. Have a quart of the correct oil to top off if required. Wipe off what you see and watch for it to reappear, if it does at all. Don't go bonkers over nothing.

I take it this is your first new car?

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I will top it off. I wiped off oil near the block, I'll see if it reappears. This is my 3rd new car. I've had a 2012 Scion xB and a 2014 Toyota Corolla, neither of those have done this before.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,347 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Was the oil near the filler cap? If so, some ham fisted tech probably spilled some during an oil change.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It's never had an oil change. It only has 7k miles on it. There shouldn't be any oil spillage at all.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefen1990 View Post
Hello,
I looked under my hood today to keep things clean. I noticed on the engine block near the alternator, some brown gunk. after wiping some of it off, it appears to be oil. I checked my oil level and its between full and ¾ full. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid or what. My RAV4 has 7k on it and hasn't even had it's first oil change. It's only had its first maintenance done (tire rotation). Anyone else notice that on their BRAND NEW RAV4?
i noticed the same case with my rav too. first noticed this almost a year ago before i took my rav for its first 5k service. i told my service advisor from where i bought it and i was told that probably its leftover / oil sweat from heating up a new engine. i clean the said spot over and over and still get the same oil seepage. the last time i cleaned that spot was few weeks ago after my 15k mile service. i cleaned it with engine degreaser. I'll post a picture of that spot later when i get home and if we are experiencing this in the same spot, then probably there is a possible gasket failure or something else is not right with our ravs. i was planning to raise this issue with my SA if i see that it accumulates dirt again due to light oil seepage.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest View Post
i noticed the same case with my rav too. first noticed this almost a year ago before i took my rav for its first 5k service. i told my service advisor from where i bought it and i was told that probably its leftover / oil sweat from heating up a new engine. i clean the said spot over and over and still get the same oil seepage. the last time i cleaned that spot was few weeks ago after my 15k mile service. i cleaned it with engine degreaser. I'll post a picture of that spot later when i get home and if we are experiencing this in the same spot, then probably there is a possible gasket failure or something else is not right with our ravs. i was planning to raise this issue with my SA if i see that it accumulates dirt again due to light oil seepage.
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see what you say. I'll bring it up with my SA when I go in for my 10k service (thats in about 3 months).
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Nothing alarming

I think it is just normal but if you really feel uneasy about it, consult a mechanic.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefen1990 View Post
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see what you say. I'll bring it up with my SA when I go in for my 10k service (thats in about 3 months).
finally. here are the photos i took from my engine. the spots where the grime accumulates are encircled in red. i've manage to clean most of them but in one of the photo you can see some leftovers or should i say not as clean as those that did not experience this.

I am saying that my rav might have prob on this because i have seen another rav, about the same age as mine and a 2013 camry that has 22k miles on it, and this side of their engine are white clean (you can spot the difference between oil soaked dirt compared to regular dirt accumulation).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3034.2.jpg (124.3 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.2.jpg (123.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3037.2.jpg (134.8 KB, 233 views)
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
That is EXACTLY where mine was at at how it looks now after I cleaned it. Have you brought it up yet to Toyota? Obviously this is an issue... I love my car so much, I hate to see it have problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page