Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil consumption

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Douglas007 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 Rav4 Limited with 13200 mileage. We took the Rav4 in for a suggested 6 month servicing since we had not yet reached the suggested 10,000 mile mark for the same servicing. All was reported as being fine with about 6900 miles on the vehicle at that point, late in December. Since then, we have added about 4 quarts of oil! We had an oil light come on after hard breaking at around the 9000 mile mark, checked the level and added almost 3 quarts to get the level back on the stick. Took it in for the 10000 mile servicing right after that and they said they found no leaks, etc., and that it was normal for the car to use a little oil. Toyota sealed the filler cap and stick and had us return after 1100-1300 miles to test the level and found it down about 1/16" on the stick and said that was fine/normal. Now after about 2500 miles more driving the level was 8/10 quart low again. The dealership I visited today brought out an official looking Toyota service book which stated in writing that the vehicle is okay as long as you are not consuming more than a quart for every 600 miles driven! Am I the only person who thinks that this is insane!!! I would have thought that on a brand new vehicle using synthetic oil and only requiring servicing every 10,000 miles that I would have less to worry about and need to check the oil level less frequently. I have been told to routinely check the oil level every 2500 miles, but that everything is fine with my Rav4. Anyone else out there having oil consumption problems?

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, that figure that Toyota puts out in the book is pretty ridiculous. Some manufacturers have even a lower threshold. Granted, all ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) consume "some" oil. But I would be shocked to find any car that eats more than a quart during a standard oil change interval. The 2.5L 2AR-FE is not known to be an oil consumer. Was this car purchased new or used? If new, was there anything unusual done to the car during its break-in period, any repairs to the powertrain? If used, I can only suspect that the original owner beat the crap out of the engine. Since the car is well within the bumper-to-bumper warranty, I'd raise a stink with Toyota Corporate. A modern car shouldn't even come close to using that much oil. Since the oil light flashed on briefly, possible that some engine damage was done (oil pressure light comes on at really low pressures, at that point, there basically isn't any oil left). Sounds like they already started an oil-consumption test (marking the dipstick, taping the fill cap closed). Even though it is "within spec" - explain your dis-satisfaction (don't threaten them with a lawsuit, they've all heard it before) - elevate up the chain until you find someone that will work with you. That doesn't work - file with the BBB. That will usually get someone's attention from Corporate. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row - any service work done to the car, have the work orders and receipts. You've already got the paperwork started, just have to find the right people to address this oil consumption.

#3 ·
No Japanese or Korean nameplate car I've owned has ever used oil measurable on the dipstick oil between scheduled changes. There is a genuine problem with your 2015 RAV. As mentioned above, Toyota's published threshold criterion about engine oil use is ridiculous. The problem should be diagnosed and resolved under warranty.

#4 ·
Your oil consumption is absolutely abnormal and unacceptable. I have 60,000 miles on my 2013 Rav4 using 10,000 mile oil change intervals and I've never added make-up oil between changes. If the oil level drops at all on the dipstick, it's negligible.

Anecdotally, I've never had a vehicle consume that much oil, including my two 20-year old 220,000 mile Saturns (3/4 qt per 1,000 mi) or my 18-year old 104,000 mile Ford Ranger (1 qt per 8,000 miles).

I wouldn't tolerate the dealerships answer of "this is normal". Complete horse pucky.

Consider doing some used oil analyses through Blackstone Labs to see if they can detect internal problems. Blackstone Labs. Also, consider an exhaust emission analysis to document how much oil is going out the tailpipe. It might strengthen your case if/when you elevate your case to Toyota Corporate.

That much oil being burned (presuming you don't have an external leak) is going to give you all sorts of fits down the road: failed O2 sensors, clogged catalytic converters, fouled spark plugs, plugged EGR valve, fouled intake manifold (because of all the oily combustion products getting recirculated through the EGR), etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.