Weird noise when braking at low speed - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Weird noise when braking at low speed

Hi all,
I need some advice. A month ago I bought a new RAV4 2016. From the first day I noticed that if I press on brakes on very low speed (3-5 km/h) I can hear weird noise. It is like loud rustle, which sometimes ends with soft knock into bottom. Very difficult to tell from which area noise is coming, but looks like from rear area. I tried to catch this noise from outside by sticking my head out the window, but from outside I cannot hear this noise.
So, I thought that probably this is because on a new pads and this noise should disappear after 100-200 km. But even after 600 km nothing changed. Then I went to the dealership. They initially tried to say that nothing wrong with my car, but I insisted on the test drive with mechanic beside me and showed how to reproduce the problem.
After an one hour they returned my car with explanations that they found that rear pads had poor contact with rotors (how it is possible???), they fixed it and now everything is ok. So, I took my car and immediately found that nothing was changed. Noise is still here, neither better no worse.
Now I understand that they have no idea how to fix it.
Any ideas what to do in this case?
Thanks.

Last edited by JuneBug; 05-16-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Visit another Toyota dealer and get a 2nd opinion! When you go in don't tell them about your brake issue, just have them test the car to check if everything is normal and you go from there.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt007 View Post
just have them test the car to check if everything is normal and you go from there.
I am afraid that if I will not point into the problem they will not be able to even detect it. Again, it is happening on very low speed.
BTW, any idea what it could be? Someone told me that it could be brake assistance line problem...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update.
I visited dealership 4 times. 3 times they tried to fix it. Relapsed pads, rotors, adjustments, lubrication... nothing helped. On 4-rd time they suggested to take a test drive on another new RAV4 2016. So I did and found that another car is making the same grinding noise and knocks from the bottom. (btw, the tested car had the same odometer values as mine). So dealership decided to stop trying and opened case with Toyota Canada. Later on my friend, who got RAV4 2016 from his work told me that his car also making weird noise and knocks, but he doesn't care because it is not his car. Two weeks later I contacted Toyota Canada, and they said that technician said that this noise is NORMAL!!! and they will continue with my case only if they will receive more complains. So, I gave up.
If someone thinking about buying new RAV4 2016, beware, it has manufacturing defect, at least Canadian version. Think twice!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM

I believe I am having the same issue as you. When braking slowly and coming to a stop it sounds like someone is hacking very quietly in the background. When I park on an slight incline and get of the car, the rear makes a squeak sound. I have approximately 4800 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:17 PM

No braking noise here. Knock on wood.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Finally I figured out what is this noise is. This is a gas waves hitting on the gas tank. And this is very easy to prove, the noise completely disappeared when gas goes below 1/3 of the tank, and very loudly on full tank. Going to talk with dealership about replacement...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs20 View Post
Finally I figured out what is this noise is. This is a gas waves hitting on the gas tank. And this is very easy to prove, the noise completely disappeared when gas goes below 1/3 of the tank, and very loudly on full tank. Going to talk with dealership about replacement...
Please let me know how this goes/went. I just bought a "new to me" 2013 and the noise freaked me out. I could tell upon further inspection it was the tank, but how odd is that? What would be replaced? Thanks!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccFisher View Post
Please let me know how this goes/went. I just bought a "new to me" 2013 and the noise freaked me out. I could tell upon further inspection it was the tank, but how odd is that? What would be replaced? Thanks!
Unfortunately the dealership refused to do anything. Later-on, I had to move to another province and postponed with the fight, but I definitely will try to raise this issue in another dealership on my next service visit. In worst case I will hire some technician to disassemble the fuel tank and see what is floating inside it, because I think it is not just a waves, but something else is floating inside in additional to waves and scratching and sometimes hitts the tank from inside.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs20 View Post
Then that would be normal. They are not going to build you a new custom baffled gas tank. I suggest braking a bit easier when coming to a stop / slow, I hear no such noise and I'm a noise freak.

2016 AWD SE metallic gray 10-15-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page