Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2016 XLE Transmission slipping?

17K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  vanib 
#1 ·
I've had my 2016 XLE since June, and lately I've noticed something happening... when in reverse, and after backing up, i stop, shift into Drive, and I notice that I have to wait maybe 2-3 seconds before I hit the gas, if I don't I get a noticeable slip in the transmission. If I don't wait, and even tap the gas lightly I feel an emptiness in power, then the transmission pretty-much slams into drive.

Is this normal???

#2 ·
I'm not sure if it's "normal" but there have been threads about this and I don't think it has ever been a problem for anyone, other than having to wait a second or two before taking off in drive. My 14 xle did it too. Hopefully if it ever did develop into anything for someone they will post about it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. It's not really an issue, but I forget sometimes, and hit the gas (not hard of course)... the engine start to rev, then 2 seconds later the tranny slams into Drive. If it's by design then I'll definitely wait the 2-3 seconds on purpose. I've just never had to do that before, so that's why I thought it may be a problem...

#4 ·
Some major Transmission issues with the 2016 and 2017's ! I have the whine issue (see post - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/237778-tranny-whine.html ). I am not having any luck with Toyota Motor Corp. on what they will do and dreading a transmission replacement because of the extensive teardown that would be done to change it out.

I researched the Camry forums as well and found many with the same issues from whining to slippage ( Camry has the same engine and tranny as the RAV4 ), wish I would have known this before purchasing but had trust in Toyota after owning three other RAV4's.

#5 ·
Toyota closed my case on the horrific whine my 2016 is producing, guess I have to wait for the tranny to fail before they acknowledge a problem. I think it's a pity that a company with such a huge reputation for high quality vehicles doesn't stand behind their product and can persuade people thinking whinny tranny's and knocking engines can be normal ? There are issues with the U760 transaxle and Toyota refuses to stand behind it !!! The only thing I can do now is wait it out a year or two so I can trade this hunk of junk and not take a hard beating :(

#8 ·
For what it's worth, the '16 and '17 Toyota Tacoma pickup trucks are experiencing the same phenomena. Toyota has come out with another new TSB to address this problem.

Bottom line...COMPLAIN TO TOYOTA!

#11 ·
Doesnt surprise me. I had a transmission whine on my 2005 RAV4 @ 16K miles. Toyota replaced the transmission and it's been good ever since. I just hit 200K miles last week.

#16 ·
Another interesting Toyota tidbit re Tacoma transmissions - some 2016 models were shipped with trannys that were short 1 quart of fluid.

The dealelerships were reluctant to perform the task due to the complexity of checking the transmission levels, but after complying that's what was found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.