RAV 4 4.4 Transmission Fluid Change - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Country: remedios's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nevada
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV 4 4.4 Transmission Fluid Change

Anyone who has had their Transmission Fluid Change?
At what Mileage?
Where or What Service Shop?
How much?

I am asking because I am already at 50K mileage....
Many thanks to those who will give feedback...
remedios is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Junior Member
Country: Mike1236's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Quincy, MA, USA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've read on another thread that the Transmission is sealed so you don't have to change it.
Mike1236 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Member
Country: Mainia's Flag is: United States
 
Mainia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just changed mine this weekend with 10 qts of Redline D6 and added a TransProtector in-line filter. It has 22,000 miles on it and I was very very surprised on how dirty it was. We bought a lease return from a women in New York and then my wife put 3,000 miles on it, I can only assume it was not beat on and not heat stressed like in the south. Why so dark and burnt???? --> Crap OEM substandard oil, that's why. When I put the TransProtector filter on my 2009 Honda Fit it has about 20,000 miles on the Redline there too and it was still red and I am very very hard on that trans. The crappy substandard WS Toyota fluid was burnt and dark dark brown in our 2014 Rav4. I couldn't wait to get that crap WS oil out.

I am not an OEM oil guy, it is ALWAYS substandard and is just a money grab for the manufacturers. Same with Honda DW-1. With the exception of Hyundai after 2013, they use high end Group 5 ester based ATF.

Toyota WS is a Group 2/3 cheap oil

Amsoil Signature Series ATF is a Group 4 oil

Redline is a Group 4/5 oil and is Ester based

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_oil




Get it out of there ASAP and replace it with WS if you like . Find a shop that will replace ALL of the fluid by first dropping the pan , refilling with new oil, and the starting the car with the trans return line pumping the fluid out while refilling 2.5 qts when the pump grabs air from the empty pan. refill 2.5 to 3 qts -turn the car and pump again till you see fresh oil. You will need 12 qts to do this.

.
Mainia is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mainia For This Useful Post:
Bob K (02-22-2017)
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Member
Country: Mainia's Flag is: United States
 
Mainia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here are some pics of my WS oil with 21,450 miles on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1886.jpg (89.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (51.4 KB, 52 views)
Mainia is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mainia For This Useful Post:
Bob K (02-22-2017)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Junior Member
Country: AWD2015's Flag is: United States
 
AWD2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 29
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1236 View Post
I've read on another thread that the Transmission is sealed so you don't have to change it.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Commonly the dealership will tell people that on sealed transmissions the ATF is "good for the life of the car", however their idea of what the life of the car is and your idea of what the life of the car is are two very different numbers. To the dealer, "life of the car" means the duration of the warranty period.

I can't speak for all transmissions, but from all my research I plan to change the ATF at 50,000 miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. If you do a partial swap (ie: drain and refill without flushing out the cooler line) then the sooner you do it the better, as probably less than half will actually drain out, so you are mixing new with old... best to not let the old get too old. I will use this method for my hyundai since the dealership charges so much for just one quart of LifeGaurd-6 ATF ($80 - and I'm not even kidding!). Though I have been able to find it for $22/qt on ebay... even so, not the type of ATF you'd want to flush down the drain so to speak.

Seems like comparatively the RAV4 ATF is dirt cheap! So why not do a full flush indeed...
AWD2015 is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Member
Country: Mainia's Flag is: United States
 
Mainia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD2015 View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. Commonly the dealership will tell people that on sealed transmissions the ATF is "good for the life of the car", however their idea of what the life of the car is and your idea of what the life of the car is are two very different numbers. To the dealer, "life of the car" means the duration of the warranty period.

I can't speak for all transmissions, but from all my research I plan to change the ATF at 50,000 miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. If you do a partial swap (ie: drain and refill without flushing out the cooler line) then the sooner you do it the better, as probably less than half will actually drain out, so you are mixing new with old... best to not let the old get too old. I will use this method for my hyundai since the dealership charges so much for just one quart of LifeGaurd-6 ATF ($80 - and I'm not even kidding!). Though I have been able to find it for $22/qt on ebay... even so, not the type of ATF you'd want to flush down the drain so to speak.

Seems like comparatively the RAV4 ATF is dirt cheap! So why not do a full flush indeed...


Why would you need to use ZF LifeGuard when Hyundai has one of the best factory OEM group4/5 Ester oils out there after 2013 1/2? It is called SP4-M. It is up their with Redline's group 4/5 Ester based ATF. You can even save more money by buying Kia's SP4-M that the only difference is the sticker. (Ford-Mercury deal going on)

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...heet-FINAL.pdf

Redline's D6 is speced for the higher ZF LifeGuard-8 spec. Your paying for the ZF name. Why so many people get snowjobbed into thinking OEM ATF is so special. I guess Boutique oil companies make some of the best products as far as add-packs go. That's why they are called boutique oil companies. Good highend extreme add-packs along with extreme quality base stocks.

.
Mainia is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Junior Member
Country: AWD2015's Flag is: United States
 
AWD2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 29
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainia View Post
Why would you need to use ZF LifeGuard when Hyundai has one of the best factory OEM group4/5 Ester oils out there after 2013 1/2? It is called SP4-M. It is up their with Redline's group 4/5 Ester based ATF. You can even save more money by buying Kia's SP4-M that the only difference is the sticker. (Ford-Mercury deal going on)

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...heet-FINAL.pdf

Redline's D6 is speced for the higher ZF LifeGuard-8 spec. Your paying for the ZF name. Why so many people get snowjobbed into thinking OEM ATF is so special. I guess Boutique oil companies make some of the best products as far as add-packs go. That's why they are called boutique oil companies. Good highend extreme add-packs along with extreme quality base stocks.

.
SP4-M appears to be compatible with "certain Hyundai transmissions". The Genesis Coupe does not use a Hyundai transmission. Instead it uses (for my year) a ZF 6HP19 (German manufactured) transmission (same used in BMWs, Jags and even Rolls). SP4-M is likely a conductive ATF, which if the case would fry the Mechatronics (electronics), which are submerged in the ATF. ZF Lifegaurd-6 is non-conductive. I believe Hyundai actually carries/carried an equivalent... but the last I checked it was $76/qt (on sale)... it was not SP-III, or SP-<anything>. The dealership would never put SP-<anything> in a ZF transmission. ATF is only special when you have a special transmission.

2015 RAV4 LE/AWD
AWD2015 is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Junior Member
Country: MP3_E46's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 41
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Am pretty sure we have the U760F transmission (similar to U660) which is used on my other Toyota/ Lexus cars. There are write-ups all over the web on how to totally change the fluid by pulling the return line + how to ensure final fluid level is correct.

Mainia posts good information. Personally I plan to drain ~two quarts at a time and not wait for gulping for air.

When done I'll try to post a few pics of the experience. It almost happened today but might be next weekend now. I have a new pan gasket, filter, o-ring and lots of Redline D6 (not cheap).

An additional filter may help, but IMO you will be way ahead of the game by changing to synthetic + cleaning magnets and replacing the filter. Also I believe there is an option to add more magnets to the oil pan.. surely that would just as good/ better.
MP3_E46 is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Member
Country: Mainia's Flag is: United States
 
Mainia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD2015 View Post
SP4-M appears to be compatible with "certain Hyundai transmissions". The Genesis Coupe does not use a Hyundai transmission. Instead it uses (for my year) a ZF 6HP19 (German manufactured) transmission (same used in BMWs, Jags and even Rolls). SP4-M is likely a conductive ATF, which if the case would fry the Mechatronics (electronics), which are submerged in the ATF. ZF Lifegaurd-6 is non-conductive. I believe Hyundai actually carries/carried an equivalent... but the last I checked it was $76/qt (on sale)... it was not SP-III, or SP-<anything>. The dealership would never put SP-<anything> in a ZF transmission. ATF is only special when you have a special transmission.
Ok makes sense, but now I need to find out the truth if it is dogma floating around. Many many people use Redline D6 and other after market ATF in the Prius and it's trans is full if motor windings and electronics. My 2014 Rav4 had a ton of wiring going into the valve body and solenoids that is just sitting in the ATF.

I looked harder (now with my glasses wink wink) and found Redline D6 is ZF LifeGaurd -6 approved. So it must be non-conductive ATF also. But you would have to dig even deeper and double check if your series of trans falls inline with the below spec. A call to Redline Tech Line is still in order to clarify.


ZF Lifeguard 6 & 6 Plus - Shell M1375.4
('02 on 6 & 7 Series, '06 on 3, 5 Series and X5 with ZF 6 speed automatic BMW# 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 0 144 137, 83 22 0 406 929, VW/AUDI # G 055 005, G 055 162 )

ZF Lifeguard 8 - Shell M-L12108
(BMW # 83 22 2 152 426 and VW/AUDI # G 060 162)

But yes, I agree SP4-M would need to have these approvals in writing as is in Redline before I would put it in. And really, SP4-M would be out of the question because we don't have a way to clarify anything pertaining to it in your application. We don't know if their Group 5 additive is non-conductive as Redline's appears to be. No matter what, a call into Redline's Tech Line is in order to get a technical clarification on the matter.

.
Mainia is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Country: remedios's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nevada
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just visited Toyota Las Vegas Dealer, Service Department, and inquire about the periodic Automatic Transmission Fluid change for my 2014 XLE. They said it's gonna be at 60K miles, at least they didn't say that it's gonna be a car's lifetime fluid and I still have 10K more miles to wait. It's gonna be 195 Bucks.
remedios is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome