Recall of the Recall?? ( Lower suspension arms ) - Page 28 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
I called Toyota Customer Support regarding this recall. I have no issues as I am still in alignment after the epoxy fix. But I expressed concern that I'd be charged if the rear goes out of alignment some day.

I asked why don't they just put on the new part that came out in late 2011? The answer is the epoxy fix is what they established and that is what they are required to do. I asked if a dealer would put on the new part if I paid for it, and they said, yes, they could probably make that modification.

At their prompting, they asked for my VIN to establish a claim number if there is ever an alignment adjustment problem in the future. I was encouraged to have other owners call them to prompt Toyota to consider using the new part as a recall fix instead of old part + epoxy.

They said the more people that call them, the more Toyota will consider changing the fix for the recall, as well as establishing a claim for your case if needed in the future. Their number is 1-800-331-4331.
I'm still confused. Junebug's diagram shows that the new part 48710-0R030 in not adjustable look at the above diagram. Putting that on would be the same result as old part plus epoxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus123 View Post
I'm still confused. Junebug's diagram shows that the new part 48710-0R030 in not adjustable look at the above diagram. Putting that on would be the same result as old part plus epoxy.
Octane said his new part is adjustable:
2012 Rav's and up rear ajustments.

Junebug said in previous post (this thread) a couple days ago:
Quote:
...No, I think the 2012 can be adjusted using an eccentric cam instead of the turnbuckle arrangement on the previous years.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #273 of 277 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
Octane said his new part is adjustable:
2012 Rav's and up rear ajustments.

Junebug said in previous post (this thread) a couple days ago:
Octane:
mine is adjustable with a cam bolt

I'm not a mechanic...so the cam bolt is on the arm?

post #274 of 277 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I should have done my research :/

I wish I looked into this before I had the recall taken care of. I live in the south wear it frankly never snows and we never have salt on the road. And what makes me even more mad is that I wanted to put a nice 1.5 lift on my rav4.3 and now after the lift I wouldn't be able to align it (just to make sure it will drive straight and not be messed up) to epoxy it is so stupid I might just get an after market to fix this problem......
post #275 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Specialty Products - 67805 - Aftermarket Rear Toe Arm Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus123 View Post
I would give these guys a call... ask if this new arm addresses the corrosion issue. You can get them on e bay for 79.00 each.

http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo

Specialty Products 67805 Adjustable Rear Toe Arm for 06 12 Toyota RAV4 FWD AWD | eBay
In case it hasn't been confirmed before, the above-linked aftermarket rear toe arms fit '06-'11 RAVs. I previously reported incorrectly that there were fitment issues, but that was due to operator error at the auto shop I initially visited to have them installed. Subsequently I brought them to a Toyota dealership, and they were able to install them correctly on my 2008 RAV4 which restores rear toe alignment adjustments. Please note I was advised by the service tech that the installation can be a bit finicky if the installation instructions are not followed to the letter as it will lead to the ball joint end being mounted cock-eyed, and potential rubbing with adjacent suspension components.

- 2008 RAV4 V6
- CSJ recall was performed in 2012
- New tires were recently installed, and I was informed that the rear toe alignment was way out of spec, but since they were epoxied no adjustment could be made.
- I bought the SPC rear toe arms off ebay for roughly $100 ea. and they have resolved my rear toe alignment alignment issue
- note the prices vary widely on the internet - my research yielded prices ranging from $70 to $165 ea. so I suggest shopping around.

A BIG Thank you to focus123 for pointing out this product!!!
post #276 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVPHO View Post
In case it hasn't been confirmed before, the above-linked aftermarket rear toe arms fit '06-'11 RAVs. I previously reported incorrectly that there were fitment issues, but that was due to operator error at the auto shop I initially visited to have them installed. Subsequently I brought them to a Toyota dealership, and they were able to install them correctly on my 2008 RAV4 which restores rear toe alignment adjustments. Please note I was advised by the service tech that the installation can be a bit finicky if the installation instructions are not followed to the letter as it will lead to the ball joint end being mounted cock-eyed, and potential rubbing with adjacent suspension components.

- 2008 RAV4 V6
- CSJ recall was performed in 2012
- New tires were recently installed, and I was informed that the rear toe alignment was way out of spec, but since they were epoxied no adjustment could be made.
- I bought the SPC rear toe arms off ebay for roughly $100 ea. and they have resolved my rear toe alignment alignment issue
- note the prices vary widely on the internet - my research yielded prices ranging from $70 to $165 ea. so I suggest shopping around.

A BIG Thank you to focus123 for pointing out this product!!!
Good to know and thanks for the report. Also I was not the one who brought this product to the forum just reporting a post from another member. Glad it worked out for you... now if Toyota would put these on all our vehicles...LOL.

Also what did the dealer charge for installation?
post #277 of 277 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Dealer charge for install was $265, which included the cost of the 4-wheel alignment. I think they cut me a pretty big break though as the service adviser mentioned that the cost, based on 4 hours of shop time plus alignment would normally be upwards of $500; however they stuck with the initial quote given to me by the service director which was for service to break epoxy, re-align, and re-epoxy old arms.

Now granted they probably spent an hour or more just going back and forth between me, specialty products, and their shop techs to determine the best way to go about the fix, since I had initially brought my RAV to them with the impression that the SPC arms wouldn't fit (since the first shop had reported as such). I brought my RAV into Toyota with the SPC arms sitting on my floor board as I was planning to ship them back to the seller later, and we were going to either a.) heat up the epoxy, break the mold, realign to spec, and reuse/re-epoxy the old arms, or b.) buy new factory arms and go through the whole CSJ recall process again. Ironically, one of the shop techs noticed the SPC arms on the floor, whose relative works at SPC (only up about 30 miles north of Denver, in Longmont, CO), and he was able to reach out to his relative and the engineers at SPC to confirm fitment and gain assurance that the new arm does address the corrosion issue which caused the safety recall in the first place. The shop tech's comment was that if it was his RAV he would definitely choose the SPC arm over the factory arm. One other thing they did confirm is that the SPC arm does not fit the '12 RAV (yet) as they are working on a revised arm for that model. Not sure if there's as much of a need for that one though, as I understand it's a different design which still allows for toe alignment adjustment.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAVPHO For This Useful Post:
focus123 (12-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page