Recall of the recall of the recall(4.3 rear suspension arms) - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Recall of the recall of the recall(4.3 rear suspension arms)

3rd time's the charm? Going to replace them this time...and epoxy them in place again.
Quote:
August 14, 2016 — Toyota is recalling 337,000 cars and SUVs for the third time for the same problem, except this time dealers will use a different repair procedure on the vehicles.

The 2006-2011 Toyota RAV4 and 2010 Lexus HS 250h vehicles were first recalled in 2012 after a federal investigation into rear suspension arm assembly failures on both the left and right sides. Some owners said the failures occurred while driving and caused the vehicles to go out of control.

Toyota blamed the problem on rear suspension arm nuts not tightened to specification that allowed excessive play at the threaded part of the arm. Rust would then build up causing the rear suspension arm to separate.

The repairs sounded good to owners until September 2013 when Toyota said the vehicles were recalled again for the same problem. That recall had dealers fixing 780,000 model year 2006-2011 RAV4 and model year 2010 Lexus HS 250h vehicles.

Dealers were told to inspect the tie rods and replace any that had rust or corrosion on the alignment adjustment threads. Then all rear tie rods were encased in an epoxy to prevent future damage.

By this time owners have to be tired of the routine but Toyota says the 337,000 cars and SUVs this time will have both rear suspension arm assemblies replaced, then an epoxy will be applied to prevent the arms from moving around.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hasn't released additional recall details such as when the recall will begin, but owners can always contact Toyota at 800-331-4331.

CarComplaints.com will update this page when more information is available about the recall of the Toyota RAV4 and 2010 Lexus HS 250h.
Toyota Recalls RAV4 and Lexus HS 250h For 3rd Time | CarComplaints.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,395 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Don't let them do it! You won't be able to adjust them. If your rear alignment is off, the arms will need to be replaced AGAIN, on your dime.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I agree with JuneBug - allowing Toyota to employ their Band-Aid fix will eliminate the ability to adjust alignment later, and with many vehicles it is quite possible for them be become out of alignment even after having previously supposedly been aligned to manufacturer's specs. Perhaps it would be possible to spray the threads with anti-rust paint which still would allow for adjustment.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just got my recall remedy letter yesterday (Canada). Any one else? I will deff be getting this done since the previous owner had the epoxy applied and my alignment is now out of spec. This will at least I can get it back in spec for a while to save my new tires. I will for sure be asking for the alignment report when it is performed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If only you could get the new parts but no epoxy.....that would be ideal. I may look into the parts/labor/alignment cost out of my pocket (minus the epoxy.)

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page