OIL CONSUMPTION TEST RECALL, NEED ADVICE - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up OIL CONSUMPTION TEST RECALL, NEED ADVICE

Hello and I need my fellow RAV4 friends advice...I had a recall on the oil consumption test...I did it once it 2015, and since it barely passed was advised to repeat test after 6 months....so this brings us to October 25, 2016...I take it to the dealership, (IMPORTANT: this recall expires on 10/31/16 based on first date of operation on my RAV). This test was done at the dealership and was told to return between 1100 and 1300 miles to check oil. I did open a case with Toyota stating that my car uses excessive oil and during this test, my engine blows up, would this be covered by Toyota, was told we will cross that avenue if we need to. Anyway, I reached my mileage at 1200 on December 1, 2016. They take my car to hidden doors....it failed. Now, since it is past the 10/31/16 date, they will contact Toyota and let me know, numerous call, faxes...they told me today, Toyota will not cover. So, I contact Toyota and open a case as I feel that this recall was started under the guidelines it should be cover if a fail result. No brainer, that in 6 days was I going to put 1100 miles on the vehicle. I am asking if anyone knows advice or has been through a similiar incident. I was told that a case manager will contact me in 24 hours, I have to be prepared for a refusal on the repair. If I was a judge, it would seem fair that repairs should be under Toyota or split equally between dealer. Some information was lacking on intial visit on recall that I was never informed. Thanks for reading all this, very grateful....Helena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
October 25, 2016...I take it to the dealership, (IMPORTANT: this recall expires on 10/31/16 based on first date of operation on my RAV)...
If the dealer gave you that information, I don't think you have a case. It doesn't say 'You need to begin the test by 10/31/16, and complete it whenever.' It says the program expires on that date.

You can hope Toyota Corporate office will show some good will and grant an extension, especially if you explain the dealer did not explain the expiration rule well enough. Like they really should have made a point to say "You now have 6 days to complete this test!" But it sounds like you were at least minimally informed. Did Toyota ever mail you the original letter outlining the program?

Also, are you under 10 years from first date in service, and under 150,000-miles? The 2007 and 2008 RAVs are still covered under those rules.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVN4RED View Post
If the dealer gave you that information, I don't think you have a case. It doesn't say 'You need to begin the test by 10/31/16, and complete it whenever.' It says the program expires on that date.
I respectfully disagree. unless the letter specifically specifies the test has to be Completed by 10/31/16. If so, that would mean a lot of people who had started the test in Oct would not qualify because they didn't reach the 1100-1300 miles needed to complete the test before the 10/31 deadline.

Hopefully the OP has all the paperwork from the last test and something saying to bring it back in 6 months to confirm what the dealer told them. Also the paperwork saying it failed this test.

If Toyota still refuses then I would tell Toyota I would be contacting my lawyer.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Exact quote from the letter:

Quote:
"The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until Oct 31,2016, regardless of mileage.
After the Primary Coverage ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from date of first use or 150,000 miles whichever occurs first."
Admittedly, the Toyota verbiage is vague, particularly if this is a deadline to start or to complete the test. I hope the ruling goes in favor of the OP, but there have been a couple of posts on the Camry forum (same engine as RAV) who brought in car after the date to be told they were too late.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM

I am posting due to the excessive oil use of my 2007 RAV4, it has 98,000 miles. I had a test ran on it in July 2016, because I was going through ~ 2 quarts of oil between oil changes, but the Toyota dealer said it did not meet their criteria to get the vehicle repaired. I waited the recommended 6 months for another test. I wanted to get it tested again but my local Toyota Service Department informed me there is nothing they could due because Toyota has closed the window to address the issue on my vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions for next steps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page