ECM/Transmission problem for 2001-2003 RAV4 - Page 61 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Recall

Find out about the history of your next vehicle and learn how to track the history of your current vehicle.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 605 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My parents 2002 RAV4 had the same symptomology as described here:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/70036-transmission-solenoid-replacement.html
It shifts erratically when starting out, sometimes shifting in and out very quickly. Also, it seems to drag (sluggish) when starting out, almost like there is a brake on.“
Additionally the car had progressed to such as state as it was stalling often when starting out and had significant hesitation issues and very hard gear shifting.

After reading up on posts here I researched a locale to send my ECM unit to for repair. There were none I could find in Canada. Circuit Board Medics in South Carolina seemed quite popular and reviews were good so I sent it to them. Cost $199.00 U.S. for repair work and $129.00 U.S to fedex the unit there and back plus about $23.00 Can in customs on the return.

Circuit Board Medics also have a good youtube video which helped a lot for the removal and reinstallation of the ECM. It is here:

Circuitboardmedics.com experience was excellent. Once they received the unit it was repaired and back in transit within 24 hours.

I installed the unit yesterday, followed the instructions to reprogram the ECM which were basically letting car idle for over 5 mins then taking car on a highway run to get it up to 100km a certain number of times. Transmission issue is now solved.

Very happy with this as I was quoted over $3000 for a new transmission install and this wouldn't have solved the problem. Most likely it would have been suggested then getting a new ECM which would have been close to $2000 after install. Feels great to have car up and running for under $500 Canadian. Thanks for all great info on this site which let to the solution for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 605 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 AM
rns

My friend's 2001 Rav4 with U140F faced these hard shifting symptoms.
It got quite soon transmission flush and new oils with no help.
Then I send the ECU for repair and after reinstalling it got bit better and better until about 1000km when it lost 3th&4th gears during driving.
Reverse gear became missing too. It never got perfect until it got worse again

I did with Techstream Ect memory reset to try once more.

But if it is not successful, what to do next? Those solenoids, can I replace only some of them?
P0755 was recorederror code. No other transmission related code have been present, P1135 has been regular code too.

post #603 of 605 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM

I had this error on my replaced ECU after a week or so:

P0758 - Shift Solenoid "B" Electrical (stuck only in one gear forward, luckily reverse still worked).

The company I got the ECU from replaced it, and the replacement has been working like a charm for over a year now. I wouldn't rule out the ECU still being the culprit.
The Following User Says Thank You to typo For This Useful Post:
rns (10-08-2016)

post #604 of 605 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 PM
rns

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
The company I got the ECU from replaced it, and the replacement has been working like a charm for over a year now. I wouldn't rule out the ECU still being the culprit.
Hi and thanks for this.
The company that fixed the ECU mentioned it has lifetime warranty. I wish I can get it rechecked with that.

As I wrote earlier the transmission got new solenoids 3521021010 and 3522021010 and also filter 3533028010 with gaskets. It got naturally new atf oil but all this had no affect in the gear change.
It doesn’t shift into third or reverse.

Thumbs up the Ecu repair would do the trick again as it almost did it in the beginning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U140Fvalvebody.jpg (140.1 KB, 4 views)

post #605 of 605 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 05:58 PM
rns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns View Post
Hi and thanks for this.
The company that fixed the ECU mentioned it has lifetime warranty. I wish I can get it rechecked with that.

As I wrote earlier the transmission got new solenoids 3521021010 and 3522021010 and also filter 3533028010 with gaskets. It got naturally new atf oil but all this had no affect in the gear change.
It doesn’t shift into third or reverse.

Thumbs up the Ecu repair would do the trick again as it almost did it in the beginning
No luck with rechecking Ecu. Positive thing is that engine check light hasn't been lit since that.

As next step TSB tells to replace the whole tranny.
Apart from those solenoids I replaced, Is there any DIY left to try?

I looked problem symptoms table for 2nd to 3rd upshift problem.
It gives either Valve body assembly or C2 direct clutch.

But Reverse gear is missing too... And magnetic material seen in atf.
So my conclusion is worn out C2 direct clutch plates???

Can anybody say it could be worth to check Valve body or just take it to transmission shop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u140f-2to3-R-symptoms.jpg (38.2 KB, 2 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page