Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rav in snow dissapointing

61K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  KJPAT08 
#1 ·
I just got back from ski trip to Colorado and Utah. I wasn't too happy with the performance of the vehicle in the snow. I came across this review. It mirrors my experience with the vehicle. Admitedly, I'm running the dulers the vehicle came with...not exactly snow tires. If it wasn't for Toyota's quality I would trade in for an Outback in a second. Subaru has dropped from 6th in overall quality to 11th this year in Consumer Reports. Toytoa is #2 this year.

[FONT=Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

#4 ·
Tires! Tires! Tires! All-Seasons are not that. If you drive in snow and ice you need winter tires. I have a RAV with winter tires and the performance is awesome. My front wheel drive car has winter tires, too, and it performs better than all the AWD vehicles running the stupidly named All-Season tires. Don't blame your RAV for lousy winter performance when it doesn't have the proper tires.

#7 ·
I live in CT 40 miles from the CR test track in the video so winter conditions are very similar. The only problem I have with driving in snow ON ACTUAL ROADS is all the Subarus getting in my way & holding me up. :wall

#11 ·
That's funny Consumer Reports says the direct opposite. And after having a Subaru and Audi AWD I agree with Consumer Reports. I have a long autocross background and am still an aggressive drive in Minnesota winters. The Toyota is very unimpressive. I found exactly what CR said on the video I posted.

#13 ·
I previously had a Forester and now have the RAV4H.

Both cars equipped with premium winter tyres.

The Toyota handles just fine and gets around even in deep snow and ice.

The Forester will usually distribute more power to the rear wheels all the time, this will give the front wheels more grip left for steering.

In more extreme conditions this is a big deal. For example if there is ice on the road with snow berms between lanes and you are cornering. The Forester handles such conditions with a neutral feeling, its almost like it doesn't care what you throw at it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

#14 ·
No, you don't need winter tires to perform well in the snow. Especially if it is infrequently snowy in your area. I purchased a set of Michelin Premier all season tires that have deep sipes (similar to X-Ice) and all weather tread compound with silica and sunflower oil that keeps them sticky in cold weather. I've had them in snow and ice and freezing rain, and they handle excellent. These are the top rated winter tire in the all season tire category so you don't need to change them for summer use.

MichelinÂ*Premier A/S

#15 · (Edited)
I used to have a minivan and it drove terrible on snow with Dunlop SP Sport 5000. It is okay on dry pavement but it is terrible on rain and snow.

I was very tired of all the problems I was experiencing with Dunlop's. I've searched online looking for new set of tires and found the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. I saw the review of other people on how it did well on snow and I decided that I've give it a try. The price is good too. The specific tire model and brand is excellent IMO based on experience. I'm not sure how it would do on SUV's. I've driven my FWD minivan(Mazda5) from Maryland to Canada. Along the way, it happened that there's a blizzard in Buffalo, NY. My family is with me and the van have 4 adults and 1 baby and all the things that we needed for 3 days. To my surprise is that my minivan did very well while other cards were stuck. It was scary but my minivan did well.

I also dropped my wife to work in Baltimore after a snow storm and my minivan climb a steep hill and my minivan did well equipped with Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires. My minivan did very well and I was able to survive the high climb.

When it's time for me to change the tires of my 2016 Rav4. It will be equipped with Cooper RS3-A's.

#17 · (Edited)
I've posted this picture before. Last winter in north Idaho at Farragut State Park after an afternoon of cross-country skiing. The RAV handled well. A little tricky on ice, but you learn quick. Just can't be in any kind of hurry. And this is from a SoCal boy, (translation: "What is snow?" "Oh yeah, that white stuff up in the mountains.") OEM tires. AWD, but it never came on that I could tell.

#20 ·
It may not be the best AWD system the RAV4 Hybrid has (compared to Subaru or Audi) but at least I'm sure it's going to be quite reliable in the long run and it still beats any FWD or RWD SUV. It only snows at most 60 times a year in Toronto and most years not even.

I'd rather drive a keeper than something that excels in snow but requires more upkeep.

We do have 16" Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2 on.

#22 ·
I've got a hybrid, and I'd imagine there is a lot more you can do with that setup than you'd get with an integrated drive system.

So far, even with all-seasons, I've yet to have a single problem getting anywhere on icy and snowy roads in New England.

I might get snow tires for it next year, but for now, it's doing really well.

I disagree with the previous post about order of importance in snow and ice it's:

1. driver
2. tires
3. tires
4. tires

#24 · (Edited)
*** Warning, long read. My own winter experience.**

I run Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 SUV tires and im pleased with stability and control. Like people have mentioned, the understeer is common given the fact that the RAV 4 is pretty light in the front end (my 4cyl engine is the same engine used in the Corolla), and the front tires carry the lion share of the load in the all wheel drive system. In fact, the electronically-engaged AWD system only engages when turning, slipping, or descending steep hills to increase fuel efficiency (best in class, I might add).

Subaru's symmetrical AWD never disengages and, given all its rally accolades, is arguably the best AWD system in mass production. By the same token, we must also acknowledge the RAV4's recent success (Ojibwe Forest).

To follow the OP: Bridgestone Duellers are the kind of tires they put on production lines because they meet minimum requirements and are cost effective. They should never be ran in a proper snow trial unless your aim is to bobsled.

Ways to increase traction in the RAV:

-More evenly distributed weight (when I have my family inside I can notice more traction)

-Proper snowflake-rated tires.

-Avoid big snow ruts because despite our feelings of confidence, the RAV's a unibody construction (not body on frame like a Jeep Wrangler) and it responds in bewilderment to jarring movements.

-Slow down around that corner because it is not a perfectly balanced vehicle (high center of gravity, and the long wheelbase combined with a short track makes it want to throw momentum "over" the wheels). If you begin to slide gently apply power until control is restored.

-When stopping on snow or ice, the RAV has a proclivity to shift all it's weight forward given it's uneven proportions (I might need new struts soon), so leave room for breaking. I found this out the hard way as I once barrelled through an amber light like a paperweight. This is why people put sandbags in the box of their 4x4 trucks, to evenly apply weight to both axles. In the Rav, there's no beefy differential or driveshaft to offset the weight imbalance - leaving the front tires, rotors, and brake pads to carry most of the stopping force. Obviously, this is not ideal and puts strain on the ability of the ABS to work properly during abrupt stops in winter conditions.

Elaborating further; don't overload your tire's ability to wick away snow, water, and ice. By driving in heavy, thick snow with a compacted underlayer your tires effectively lose their traction altogether no matter how skilful you are. We've all jumped that mark a few times, and are quickly reminded of how driving is a responsibility as much as it is a right.

Oh, and if any of you noticed the chime that sounds when your traction indicator senses you are being a bit adventurous...it sounds like a stall warning on a cessna aeroplane -- enough to keep me grounded, lets just say.

#25 ·
I agree with quite a bit in here. For the record, I live in the Snow Belt in Upstate, NY and have never run dedicated snows on any of our RAV's. That being said, I will only purchase M&S All Seasons that test well on snow and ice.

Our 2014 XLE currently has a set of the new Michelin Defender LTX M&S All Seasons. The compound on this tire is amazing. Stays soft in -5 F firms up in 80 F. The tread is moderately aggressive, but it's the new compound, IMO.

With an 80lb Tube Sand Bag over the back wheels it is unstoppable until the snow goes up to the grill. Grips packed snow like a Tiger.

Snow tires are always the best choice for most drivers. But with the right tire and experience All Season M&S are more fun. :wink

#30 ·
All Season tyres are crap. Period.
If you live with winter conditions in your area have 2 sets of weels.
Here we all change to winter tyres in autumn and back to summer tyres in spring.
Most people have 2 sets and do the change themselfes.
Are you invoved in an accidident in winter with no winter tyres you are in deep **** insurance wice,

This post has been deleted
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.