Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - How does RAV4 4WD work?
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Dr. Dyno
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The 4WD system on my RAV is truly amazing to me and I've had an AWD Forester, a Mits AWD Expo and two Civic AWD wagons. Currently have two F250 4x4s too. The RAV gets the mileage of any other brand's front wheel drive because that's what it's in most of the time. But it doesn't react to the front drive slipping to engage the rear differential clutch, it ANTICIPATES slippage using it's accelerometers. That's to only way to explain how I can accelerate from a stop with my V6 just as fast on a wet road an on dry pavement with ZERO wheelspin. I have to get used to having no hesitation to punching it anytime anywhere including starting off on a wet corner. It just goes where I steer it and does it quickly.
I got the car last November and did some acceleration tests on a snow covered parking lot last winter. All I can say is you better be ready to hit the brakes because you'll shoot across a lot quite smartly with or w/o 4WD lock on.
I also did extensive testing on steep snow covered hills. Will have to find the post for the link. ENJOY!

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
Gordoh (06-26-2016)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome