Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

hello - new member

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Blogson 
#1 ·
Hello there.

An intro

I just bought a Canadian Spec 1997 RAV4 5 speed gasoline with 240,000 kilometres.

It has a few fluid leaks and the clutch is soft but not (yet) slipping. The drivers seat is a bit worn and torn I guess, maybe a small dent or two - other than that it's good. It's black so that's a plus. No rust at all and the oil on the bottom is keeping things lubricated. Tires and brakes were replaced recently, the timing belt was done at 140,000 kilometres.

Sorry for the lack of pics - I'll wait until I get a good glam shot. It's laid up in my workshop for now. I want to dial it in before I start driving it.

$800 was a great deal I think.

The owner said the CEL was flicking on now and again and looking back through the maintenance records I see he had dealt with this twice already - and both times it was the EGR. Checked the oil yesterday and sure enough - it's filled right to the top. That explains the oil leak *and* the EGR blocking over.

No problem - I'll drain the oil and refill (how many litres ?) and if the CEL comes back I'll clean out the EGR system.

Next spring I'll go after the clutch. Sounds like dropping the engine and transaxle is the way to go.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice and help.

jasper

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.