Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

how many miles on your 4.1 RAV4?

17K views 53 replies 39 participants last post by  tom1977 
#1 ·
Just out or curiosity,
How many miles do you have on your 4.1 RAV4?
What year?
And maybe if you had any major repairs?

Im new to the RAV4 world as I just purchased a 2000 RAV4 with about 68000 miles on it. Don't think it has had anything major done to it. It looks like it just came out of the factory... maybe a little dirty now. But I love it so far.

colin

#2 · (Edited)
Just purchased mine with 169k miles on it. Already put 2000 miles on it driving back from Texas to Kentucky and took a trip to Chicago with it already.
Running like a champ.

Needs a little TLC but it is solid as a rock !!!

I have already ordered some parts that need replaced. It will be a perfect first gen rav very soon !!!
I have OCD !!

#3 ·
got a 97 with 148500 on it. purchased back in august with 143000 on it. love driving it, although it isn't too indicative from the miles haha. and as far as i am aware of, it had all the fluids changed back just before i got it, a timing belt at 72 (previous owner took great care of it, loved it but wanted something newer) and probably another coming up within the next year

#4 ·
I bought my 98 4WD L w/LSD a month ago, it has 256k. I was told it was dinghy towed for 75k. Engine has 200 psi compression in all cylinders. I'm in the process of replacing the exhaust, shocks, struts, and bushings. Needs a few other things fixed, but it's still going strong!

#5 ·
So, those 75,000 miles when it was towed do not show up on the odometer, correct? If so, the wheel bearings have 331,000 miles--I would be worried about those.

#8 ·
It's not a 4.1, but I gotta brag about the 240,000 miles plus on my sweet old 2001 Black RAV4. Ever since buying it new I've been putting synthetic oil in it. The guy at Toyota said if I did, I'd not notice anything til 70,000 miles, after which it'd keep running great. 14 years later and MANY miles later it's running great. I drive 100% of the year for my job, all over the US and am pleased as punch about how reliable this old girl is. I do have new car fever and am looking forward to the day I can buy a Blizzard Pearl RAV4, CASH! Gotta pay off my house first!

#13 ·
RAV4 Long life.

I have three rav4's

The first is a 1996 4 door with auto trans. Today this rav4 has 375,000 miles on it. I bought it new new in 1996 for about $26,000. The engine was overhauled in the car at about 219,000 miles because the rings went. SInce then the rust has taken its toll. I am now replacing the gas tank because it rusted through. Last year the drivers side rear stabilizer arm also rusted through.

My second is a 1999 4dr with auto trans. Today this Rav4 has 378,000 miles on it. I bought it second hand in 2002 with 40,000 miles on it for $14,000. This car has never had a major engine problem. No head gaskets, etc. I change the timing belt on schedule and have never replaced a water pump. No critical rust yet.

My third is a 2000 4dr with auto trans. I bought this car at auction in 2008 with 60,000 miles on it for $9,000. Today this rav4 has 190,000 miles. This one too has never had a major problem. Rust is now becoming an issue.

I changed to synthetic oil over 20 years ago and have never been sorry. Today at COSTCo you can buy 5 qts. of Mobil one for $27.00, and I always use Toyota Oil filters. I also follow the RAV4 maintenance schedule.

My only problem has been the continuing failures of steering racks on the 1999. The original failed at 185,000 miles I then went with a NAPA remanufactured unit. It lasted 40,000 miles. Under warranty they replaced the unit again after another 50,000 miles. When this failed I used Toyota OEM remanufactured unit I got at a dealer. This one has now failed after 103,000 miles.

Connecticut began about five years ago to use a super ice melter on all of its roads. Today Toyota is replacing all of the frames on certain year Tundra pickup trucks under warranty. So I suspect my goal of making it to 500,000 miles is not going to happen.

I am still waiting for Toyota to get smart and go back to its original ground clearance on the 1996 Rav 4's and then put in a diesel hybrid power plant.

Tom D.

#15 ·
Mine is a 1999 2 door Auto trans FWD. Bought it used with 106K miles in 2010 after my first one was totalled. It has 132K miles at present. The thing is in great shape in and out......The only issue I have is someone has been denting its left side when carelessly opening their door when I was out of town.

#17 ·
I had been looking for a 2 door RAV4 for a long time. My girlfriend happened to see one as we sped by a used car dealer that we pass going skiing once or twice a week. It is a 1997 with.......ready?.....61,000 original miles on it. She was out of Florida but nothing more than the usual small rusting areas typical of a car that old. She looks like she just came off the showroom floor. My girlfriend has a 2005 RAV4 that she adores. I bought her in March 2015 and I am having a BLAST driving my new car around. And a 2 door RAV4 is nothing but CUTE!

#18 ·
155K. Usual maintenance, struts/shocks, motor mounts, gearbox synchros just replaced (one was bad, but replaced all). Plan to have convertible top windows replaced, replace cv joints, and maybe a valve job (but probably not - it passed smog test, only smokes for a few secs when engine cold, and the cat hasn't died yet ;-) People say the 4.1 runs forever, and there's ample proof of that, but it doesn't mean you don't have to keep it up and expect major repairs after 150K (my experience based on having 3 since 1999).

#19 ·
225,000 miles, mostly city, owned since 20k. 1998 2wd 5door automatic. Long history of repairs (grin) It needed the VSV twice (EGR system, firewall area) and an alternator. Gets 24-29 MPG

Oil: Uses less than half quart between changes (tiny puff sometimes when cold starting). Always used regular oil, 5w30 (valvoline) at 3k-4k intervals. Whatever filter was the cheapest at the time.

Cringe: Have never changed the brake or power steering fluids (getting very dark). Spark plugs once. (but I'm good about the ATF)

I'M EAGER TO HEAR OF OTHER REPORTS -- wanting to decide whether to buy newer or start budgeting for repairs on this one (and what repairs to expect)

#24 ·
My Mileage

I have three Rav4's.

1996 370,000 miles. I am looking to replace this car. The winter salt solutions the State of CT uses has finally got the best of this car. Paid $25,000 new in 1996.

1999 380,000 miles, No serious problems, the head has never been off the car. Compression is reasonable, Gets 26 MPG but again rust will finally eat the car. Paid $14,000 in 2002 with 40,000 miles.

2000 198,000. No serious problems. Paid $9,000 in 2006 with 60,000 miles.

I have never had a transmission problem in any of the above three. I have only had one water pump failure and that was after 250,00 miles.

Best cars I have ever driven. But I will not buy the new RAV4 since they lowered the body to 4" from 7".

#25 ·
I have three Rav4's.

1996 370,000 miles. I am looking to replace this car. The winter salt solutions the State of CT uses has finally got the best of this car. Paid $25,000 new in 1996.

1999 380,000 miles, No serious problems, the head has never been off the car. Compression is reasonable, Gets 26 MPG but again rust will finally eat the car. Paid $14,000 in 2002 with 40,000 miles.

2000 198,000. No serious problems. Paid $9,000 in 2006 with 60,000 miles.

I have never had a transmission problem in any of the above three. I have only had one water pump failure and that was after 250,00 miles.

Best cars I have ever driven. But I will not buy the new RAV4 since they lowered the body to 4" from 7".
You should try the second generation 2001 plus also. It had good ground clearance. The third generation isn't bad either.

It is the current generation that is lowered a lot.

Looks like you love the first generation.

I had three second generations in early 2000s. Family grew and sold them. Now I need a small car for daily commute so I decided to go back to RAV4 and I decided to pick first generation cuz it looked unique as compared to all the smallUTE mesh on the road and it was really tough.

In the process of restoring it to mint even though it is my beater car. I can't help it. I have to have my beater car look nice also but I feel so unique on the road with this small utility as compared to all other small utilities. They all look the same. Mine looks different.

#38 ·
front cv shafts, radiator condition, timing belt, clutch... list goes on haha

whereabout are you? ive got a 97 rav4 5spd/4dr that is both my daily and my current primary project car haha cause i like to live dangerously... im in sask!

Helped someone close on a '96 with 138k. 3S-FE is just broken in. My '00 Camry with 5S-FE was bought early last year with 212k, now has 240k, shooting for 350k.
im just passing 320k haha the good ol 3sfe has never been apart, ill be doing a bunch of freshening up soon tho, with a turbo system in the works. bought mine from the original owner, with all service records intact!

#27 ·
My 2000 RAV4-L has about 127,000 on it. It still looks very good, but I bought it from an older woman who took great care of it. There's an exhaust heat shield that rattles a little, the dash clock is intermittent, that's about all that's wrong with it. Good little ride.

#28 ·
Purchased a 2000 Rav4 last August from my uncle. The Rav has been living in NYC for most of her life so she's got lots of little dents and bruises on her :(

Timing belt was changed at 80k. Now it's at 165k. Since my ownership, I've done all of the routine maintenance myself. Includes oil, oil filter, brakes, lights, etc. Suspension is still at mint condition, no need to replace.

Occasionally, I take her for donuts in the snow in an empty parking lot.. Frowned upon by the local police :( !

STILL RUNNING STRONG!

Anyway, I've got a little rattle coming from under the car on soft accelerations. Can't seem to find the culprit. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.