Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

99' CD player not working

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  demoder 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I searched for CD Player threads but didn't find one pertaining to my issue. My 99' RAV4 CD player spits the CD back out after inserting it. I think it is trying to read the CD then after 10 or so seconds spits it back at me. Is this a cleaning issue? I bought my RAV4 recently with 212K miles and no owners manual. I am working on getting a copy. Just don't care to pay full price for a new one if I can find one used for less. In the mean time, I have no way to listen to CDs. :serious

#2 ·
Is the CD a regular CD? The factory player won't read MP3/Data CD's, and it will do what you are describing (take 'em, spin 'em, and reject 'em).
If it is just a regular CD that is not being read, perhaps try resetting it completely by disconnecting the negative (black) battery cable for 10 minutes or so. I'm not sure if that would do anything, but I'm think if you have chip "flea power" (static electricity) or something that's causing the issue, it might help (?). I don't think this is likely though!
You might need a unit. For what its worth, the upgrade is very easy on a Rav, and you can get a new head unit that will have an AUX hookup and play data CD's for $50 - $80, or less. You can buy the harness on eBay for $6. (Worst case scenario!). Sometimes at Advance Auto, Pioneer DEH units pop up for around $50, then you can use a $20 off $50 coupon and get the unit for about $30. (I got a Pioneer DEH this way a couple of years ago, and its much, much better than the factory receiver, and easy as pie to install)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.