Stop to engage 4 wheel drive?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 General Discuss anything RAV4.1 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Eddie1962

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Stop to engage 4 wheel drive??

Hi, I am new to RAV4 ownership and also the 4x4 in general. I have recently purchased a secondhand RAV4 estate 2.0 petrol, manual gearbox. Unfortunately it did not come with an owners manual. What I would like to know is when can I engage the 4 wheel drive, and also disenengage? Do I have to do it when stationary or at what speeds is it safe to do so?
Many Thanks
Eddie Robinson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Eddie,

Your Rav is PERMANENT 4WD

You cannot engage/disengage it.

There is a button on the dashboard to lock the centre differential if you get stuck in mud, snow etc. I posted a large section from the owners manual on the forum a month or so ago. I'll dig it up and post a link to it

Enjoy your Rav!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 AM

Here's a link to a similar post, in which I replied with the info from the manual regarding the diff lock.

My post is the 3rd one (not including the advert)

AussieRavers links are worth a look at too

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopi...371&highlight=
#4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM
chrisg

Center Diff Lock

Hi All

My 1994 Rav doesn't sound a buzzer or anything when turning off the Center Diff Lock?
The LED in the button comes on and stays on when pressing the button, then pressing it again the green LED just goes off no buzzer or anything. Do I have a problem, is there anyway to tell that the diff lock is engaged other than the light?

Thanks

Chris

#5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 PM
chrisg

Center Diff Lock

Sorry just to correct my earlier post, the light on the dash board comes on and goes off not the LED in the button (Got confused with the Aircon button) I've just been outside and checked and when the button is pressed I can hear a short buzz coming from underneith the car so I'm asuming that there is some sort of eletrical servo motor actuating the diff lock, I hear it again when I disengage the diff lock but no buzzer?

Thanks

Chris

#6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

It is actually locked with a vacuum hose.... the button only opens a vacuum valve....

Keep on RAVin.....
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
don26

our 1999 rav4 is auto transmission and my understanding that 4WD is always on. however there is a ECT button for normal and power driving.is that the center differential lock when switch to power? when doing a sharp turn with ECT at normal mode, does the 4WD compensates similar to the differential to avoid overturning?

#8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

OK,

Quote:
our 1999 rav4 is auto transmission and my understanding that 4WD is always on.
Yes

Quote:
however there is a ECT button for normal and power driving.is that the center differential lock when switch to power?
NO - the ECT/PWR button is for changing the shift pattern - allowing the engine to rev a little higher before changing into the next gear... Basically same as flooring the throttle.. It also makes the transmission KICK DOWN faster... (ECT - Electronically Controlled Transmission??)

Quote:
when doing a sharp turn with ECT at normal mode, does the 4WD compensates similar to the differential to avoid overturning?
as above - ECT/PWR does nothing with the 4wd...

In the Automatic RAV's (4.1 and 4.2) the vehicle is always in 4x4 (Fulltime 4wd) and is normally UNLOCKED (ie OPEN diff) to allow cornering etc.... The CENTRE DIFF will automatically lock when the computer detects SLIP... (Dont ask me how - I dont know which sensors it uses....)

In the manual versions, there is no ECT/PWR button - it is replaced with a DIFF LOCK button.... (This is a DANGEROUS button for those that dont know what they are doing!)

Keep on RAVin.....
#9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
don26

i thought the changing shift pattern is determined by the overdrive button. can't recall where but is ECT mean electronically controlled traction? when doing a sharp turn and it so happens the car computer detects a slip (1 wheel up), will that be dangerous?

#10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don26
i thought the changing shift pattern is determined by the overdrive button. can't recall where but is ECT mean electronically controlled traction? when doing a sharp turn and it so happens the car computer detects a slip (1 wheel up), will that be dangerous?
ECT is electronically controlled transmission. It changes the shift point only for more power, nothing really to do with traction.

The slip in the AWD mechanism is detected by a viscous coupling in the differential that stiffens up and gets more viscous when one wheel spins and therefore transmits the power to another wheel with traction.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page